• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Las Vegas Challenge Feb 24-27

Can´t be fun for Kona to get beat by Holyn Handley from a much lower DD team by 16 throws. .

Eveliina and Henna are normaly very close in score. . .now Evelina beats Henna by 21 throws!!

Many of us would prefer more DGPT events on wooded or at least well-balanced courses that were truly designed as DG courses, and fewer held on bolf courses, but that's a whole other debate.

That said...

If you host an event on multiple courses, it seems particularly lame when all the courses play similarly.

Or play them on a kempt course. I recently watched a PGA event in Vegas, is was not a brown, sandfilled, desert wasteland. Fairways, greens, tees were watered and green and the rough was landscaped and maintained. I guess "the big time" looks different for us. In all fairness, it is kind of our heritage though.

That sounds like a built in flaw of using tee times then?

I guess my question is, why do we care about ratings in the open divisions? Makes sense to have it for ams as a division differentiator. Open is open.

Especially now that we have all these additional stats, seems like a power ranking might be a better measuring stick amongst pros?
Yes, tee times are flawed from a field fairness standpoint. Tee times could be done in a fairer way.

Ratings are still the gold standard stat. Player ratings going into an event correlate better with final ranking outcome consistently better than any other stat. It's one reason some pros may not like them because they provide an objective grade for their "scoring test" each round or event. For example, rankings don't tell you how far apart in skill some players may be because they played different events with different field strengths and points factors to get their ranking.

Other stats or ranking systems incorporate subjective judgments or weighting factors that could be misleading if you were using them for forecasting or even wagering on a player's performance in the next event. You might be wiser to place your money on the 46th ranked player (currently Nathan Queen, 2021 DGPT Champion) versus certain players ranked in the 20s who got their higher ranking doing more things to earn ranking points. Ratings might eventually be done in a slightly different way to become even more useful for handicapping before wagering becomes a bigger thing for our sport.

Or play them on a kempt course. I recently watched a PGA event in Vegas, is was not a brown, sandfilled, desert wasteland. Fairways, greens, tees were watered and green and the rough was landscaped and maintained. I guess "the big time" looks different for us. In all fairness, it is kind of our heritage though.

Yeah, the courses do look quite barren. That's something you don't expect on a golf course.

Last edited:
Can´t be fun for Kona to get beat by Holyn Handley from a much lower DD team by 16 throws. .

Eveliina and Henna are normaly very close in score. . .now Evelina beats Henna by 21 throws!!

I was thinking same thing. All that social media hype isn't worth much if the game doesn't follow. Hopefully DD feels like they are getting their $125k worth. In the meantime Kristin Tattar is 1 stroke off the lead and making highlight real shots. (btw, I feel this comment is in bounds since Kona is the one who made the original comparison between her's and Kristin's contract).

Isn't hitting your own equipment a penalty? Hammes hit his disc which was laying on the green OB (from his own drive) which likely saved him from going into the bunker. Round 2. It's funny too that on the opening clip they show Ricky hitting his disc with his plant foot too. Not really big deals I guess. But we do see this fairly often.

I was thinking same thing. All that social media hype isn't worth much if the game doesn't follow. Hopefully DD feels like they are getting their $125k worth. In the meantime Kristin Tattar is 1 stroke off the lead and making highlight real shots. (btw, I feel this comment is in bounds since Kona is the one who made the original comparison between her's and Kristin's contract).

Konas putting stats for this round might be the worst i have seen from a top player.. . but it has been a weak spot for her for years, so i don´t know how she will turn that around.

And she has to feel that "i´m one of the highest paid and i´m in the middle of the field" pressure.. . .but she might be paid for social media not her play,

It's funny too that on the opening clip they show Ricky hitting his disc with his plant foot too. Not really big deals I guess. But we do see this fairly often.

Feels like that happens +10 times every round. . fun in FPO R1 one player played her 2nd shot from the concrete path and she had a metal mini. . when she threw her fot landed on the mini and kicked the mini away and the noice it made was LOUD.

Feels like that happens +10 times every round. . fun in FPO R1 one player played her 2nd shot from the concrete path and she had a metal mini. . when she threw her fot landed on the mini and kicked the mini away and the noice it made was LOUD.

It's one of those rule violations that is common that is almost never called. It's hard though to be perfect and not do it occasionally. I think brushing into your mini is fine not calling, it's like speeding, everyone does it. It's if it's egregious and you are trying to gain an advantage where it becomes an issue.

He makes some great points here about how you respond to it and his not to let your misfortune (or your own boneheadedness) infect the card.

Simply put, a true professional doesn't let their game, negatively impact other peoples' game.

we might influence others but taking on the negativity is up to each own

Konas putting stats for this round might be the worst i have seen from a top player.. . but it has been a weak spot for her for years, so i don´t know how she will turn that around.

And she has to feel that "i´m one of the highest paid and i´m in the middle of the field" pressure.. . .but she might be paid for social media not her play,

Pamela Anderson wasn't paid for her acting chops when she was on baywatch.

Many of us would prefer more DGPT events on wooded or at least well-balanced courses that were truly designed as DG courses, and fewer held on bolf courses, but that's a whole other debate.

That said...

If you host an event on multiple courses, it seems particularly lame when all the courses play similarly.

I don't think it's has anything to do with the courses. Well, maybe a little to do with the courses. But it has more to do with the fact that it's the offseason. The first major is a couple of months away. He does not need to be there to qualify for any of the tournaments that actually matter. Nobody who doesn't want to play needs to be there. That's the beauty of individual sports. We don't have to report to anyone. I mean, it's good to talk through with your plans with your sponsors, but I'm guessing everyone who has a financial stake in PMcB is on board with what he is doing.

It sounds like you just want there because he owes you entertainment. He owes you nothing. You've got plenty of competitors who will show up to chase this payday, most of them younger and/or hungry for the spotlight. McBeth is judged by how he performs at majors and his entire focus appears to be setting himself up for peak performance in those arenas. I can't see how starting the tour grind in the middle of winter gets him any closer to another ring.

I don't really root for anybody on the disc golf course besides myself but I can appreciate how the dude takes care of business and conserves his energy for when it actually matters. A lot of kids on the tour could learn something from that kind of strategy.

http://www.bopsecrets.org/gateway/passages/chuang-tzu.htm

You're absolutely right, but still, no one enjoys playing with "that guy."

I don't mind at all if people get angry over a shot or many shots. That isn't a big deal. If you mean being negative and angry the entire round then sure. It's going to be tougher to simply have fun and play your best.

I think the biggest point is. Not letting their attitude effect yours or your own play. Ideally you should be able to play your best with the most negative players. Might be tougher, but in the end it is on you.

Latest posts