• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 PDGA Champions Cup - 4th Pro Major

I think a better question is why would we want to incorporate new formats into disc golf's Majors and the DGPT regular season? I think we should have consistency at the professional level and that's essentially what Uli is advocating for.

Stroke play is fine for standalone events, but the truly top-level events in the sport should be played using the same format. I think the DGPT Championship is an exception because A) it is still working to garner its own level of prestige, B) it provides a way to reward players for consistently good performance over the season, and C) it's not a Major.

I'd love to see a Ryder Cup-style event for disc golf. It would be very entertaining for fans and professionals alike and doesn't need to compete with the prestige of a Major.
Whatever random ass name we give it - Major, Cup, Doodah - I don't care. I'm just saying a highly prestigious event using a different format.

As for why: It is a very exciting format, IMO. It brings the head-to-head end game style of play to the entire round, as two players lock into a strategic battle where they are influenced in their play-style throughout every round as opposed to just when it comes down to the final holes of a tournament.

I'm not saying the whole tour needs to be match play, or even half the events, just something big that develops a strong level of prestige using the match play format. In traditional golf (not to compare, but to show that it doesn't NEED to be all stroke play all tour) they have the WGC Match Play Championship.

Whatever random ass name we give it - Major, Cup, Doodah - I don't care. I'm just saying a highly prestigious event using a different format.

As for why: It is a very exciting format, IMO. It brings the head-to-head end game style of play to the entire round, as two players lock into a strategic battle where they are influenced in their play-style throughout every round as opposed to just when it comes down to the final holes of a tournament.

I'm not saying the whole tour needs to be match play, or even half the events, just something big that develops a strong level of prestige using the match play format. In traditional golf (not to compare, but to show that it doesn't NEED to be all stroke play all tour) they have the WGC Match Play Championship.

I don't disagree on a match play event being relevant. I just don't think that having the the top 4 move to match play crowns the most deserving champion in many instances.

I don't disagree on a match play event being relevant. I just don't think that having the the top 4 move to match play crowns the most deserving champion in many instances.
Yeah, I definitely don't have a complaint about them removing the element where an event moves between formats mid-flow. That part of it was a bit wonky.

Entertaining thread here. I agree with ya Biscoe, calling this a major might be a stretch, unless the PDGA is supplying serious major-level added cash. Would love to see the PDGA pony up, goodness knows they can afford it.

Nate is living rent-free in rupor's head I see. Jealous much? Long live President Nate...he's earned his title. Didn't just happen overnight. I salute all the endless hours of work Nate did for years to help take disc golf to the next level.

Not a big fan of match play myself. Fun for a couple events a year but that's enough.

It will be very interesting to see who does and does not decide to attend this thing. For the 'touring in a van" players there will be a choice after Texas States of heading east to a Silver Series in Florida, then an A tier in SC, then this event followed by back to Arkansas for Jonesboro vs staying farther west and hitting Vintage Open and hanging in Arkansas for a couple weeks leading to Jonesboro. I have a hard time envisioning the top dogs prioritizing this over Jonesboro in any way.

It will be very interesting to see who does and does not decide to attend this thing. For the 'touring in a van" players there will be a choice after Texas States of heading east to a Silver Series in Florida, then an A tier in SC, then this event followed by back to Arkansas for Jonesboro vs staying farther west and hitting Vintage Open and hanging in Arkansas for a couple weeks leading to Jonesboro. I have a hard time envisioning the top dogs prioritizing this over Jonesboro in any way.

Will everyone play CC? No, of course not.

But I'm fairly confident with the format change, the label of a major and on a proven course, a large majority will come.

and if not, we wish them well at their other events!

Will it be another decade before we go back to Japan for a 150-class major? Hoping the 2021 JO is just postponed but it's not looking too hopeful.

and also the Music City/Bowling Green option...

I haven't seen a tour schedule without this event after the format change, including mcbeth who updated his schedule today and included this event.

A major at a proven course with stroke play? They will be there.

I'm skipping the Champions* Cup to play Jonesboro. It was an easy decision to make, since FP50 and MP50 World Champions (and up) were deliberately excluded from the list of invitees.