• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 PDGA Rules

There seems to be a subtle "gotcha" in the rule updates under Interference that might make you think twice before asking someone to stop your disc going OB in water.

"If a throw is interfered with by request of the thrower, that is considered the same as a player interfering with their own throw."

If you ask a player in your group who's spotting to stop your disc from going into a pond, and they do it, you'll have to re-throw from your original lie with penalty (stroke and distance) whereas if the spotter lets your disc go OB, you mark your lie where it went out with penalty and maybe a lost disc if not retrievable.

"If a throw is interfered with by request of the thrower, that is considered the same as a player interfering with their own throw."

That is similar to (but same effect as) ORDG-2013:804.03.G. In 2013, the disc was considered to be a lost disc if intentionally saved from certain peril.

Where local law and event venue rules permit, players who are of legal age to do so may use or display alcohol between the two-minute signal and submitting their scorecard (see 3.03.B.5). However, players still may not drink to excess or be publicly intoxicated (see 3.03.B.6).

You can now drink in PDGA leagues. I guess they realized that the vast majority of leagues aren't sanctioned and wanted to remove one barrier.

You can now drink in PDGA leagues. I guess they realized that the vast majority of leagues aren't sanctioned and wanted to remove one barrier.

Great seque!

From stopping a disc from going in the pond to drinking at a sanctioned league.

That's been allowed since sanctioned leagues started as long as the park allowed it. Many don't.

Just so I understand the no cash without a PDGA number rule:

I started playing tournaments in 2014, and then cashed a few times from 2015-2017. never had a PDGA membership though, always paid the $10 fee. Starting next year, I will need to have a PDGA membership (not necessarily pro level?) to be able to accept cash at the same tournaments as 2015-2017?

Just so I understand the no cash without a PDGA number rule:

I started playing tournaments in 2014, and then cashed a few times from 2015-2017. never had a PDGA membership though, always paid the $10 fee. Starting next year, I will need to have a PDGA membership (not necessarily pro level?) to be able to accept cash at the same tournaments as 2015-2017?

Correct. PDGA members would be classified as a pro after taking cash at those events. This helps ensure that all players are under the same restrictions after taking cash.

Also doesn't mean anyone would ever enforce it as written.

Cool. So if you won't enforce that, I can have someone stand by the basket and complete my alley-oop style putts. It's the same violation.

Cool. So if you won't enforce that, I can have someone stand by the basket and complete my alley-oop style putts. It's the same violation.

I don't think that's what he's suggesting. Your scenario is 2-3 strokes better than just saving a lost disc that still incurs an OB penalty.

Correct. PDGA members would be classified as a pro after taking cash at those events. This helps ensure that all players are under the same restrictions after taking cash.
that sux. i've played 1 or 2 sanctioned tournaments a year & cashed. i guess i won't be playing any more sanctioned tournaments... or maybe i'll finally join the pdga :\ (don't really like the pace of tournaments anyway, just gives me another reason to not play)

Last edited:

True. Not the same in terms of how humans interact however. Virtually no one is ever going to call a violation on someone preventing/requesting prevention of a disc from being lost in the drink. They will continue to do what has been done for years which is save the disc and have it played as if it finished its trip to a watery grave.

Concerning the new rules....is the PDGA similar to the USGA, where they send the new rules book to the members (as part of their renewal package) when there is a major change?

that sux. i've played 1 or 2 sanctioned tournaments a year & cashed. i guess i won't be playing any more sanctioned tournaments... or maybe i'll finally join the pdga :\ (don't really like the pace of tournaments anyway, just gives me another reason to not play)

one of the nice things, as far as I understand it, is that you won't necessarily have to re-up your subscription in 2023 for the same reason.

"It does not require current membership, only that the person has a PDGA number."

So as it stands it's a one and done type thing

edit: on another note, not sure I can support the PDGA as long as heinold is the head of the board of directors. so I guess this rules change might end up just saving me $

Last edited:

apps.30133.69466240170229221.99442319-b42b-44ba-bb77-dd1505668170.beccf664-0636-45f3-b98d-8d9f6093af9d

one of the nice things, as far as I understand it, is that you won't necessarily have to re-up your subscription in 2023 for the same reason.

"It does not require current membership, only that the person has a PDGA number."

So as it stands it's a one and done type thing

edit: on another note, not sure I can support the PDGA as long as heinold is the head of the board of directors. so I guess this rules change might end up just saving me $

I was not going to renew my membership....I'm irritated that we don't get uDisc anymore - I'd even be happy with a $5 discount to uDisc pro...but we aren't getting it at all, but we are getting a discount to DGN which I don't care about nor want. But then the PDGA started requiring membership for A and B tier tournaments for 2022. I think they started that rule because they realized many members were irritated with the change and wouldn't renew. (based on comments when the change was proposed to members).

I'm not happy that my membership money is being used to prop-up a start-up network...especially after the fiasco that recently happened where viewers were shutout from seeing a playoff. I think more members used uDisc than watch DGN.

I was not going to renew my membership....I'm irritated that we don't get uDisc anymore - I'd even be happy with a $5 discount to uDisc pro...but we aren't getting it at all, but we are getting a discount to DGN which I don't care about nor want. But then the PDGA started requiring membership for A and B tier tournaments for 2022. I think they started that rule because they realized many members were irritated with the change and wouldn't renew. (based on comments when the change was proposed to members).

I'm not happy that my membership money is being used to prop-up a start-up network...especially after the fiasco that recently happened where viewers were shutout from seeing a playoff. I think more members used uDisc than watch DGN.

I think the biggest reason for requiring current membership for B-tiers is the explosion of popularity of the sport, which lead to many B-tiers selling out. inevitably SOME players at B-tiers weren't current members so current members felt like they were getting screwed over, which ignores the fact they presumably had exactly the same opportunity to sign up as non-PDGA members.

I think the better solution would be to offer registration to PDGA members first and then expand to non-PDGA members, but maybe there are some reasons that escape me as to why that's not doable or preferable

Latest posts