• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Competition Manual and Rules

Nowhere does the new rule specify the mandatory plane goes toward the tee. The direction of the mandatory plane is defined by the TD.

On hole 7 at my home course HB Clark designed the hole using the Mando tree as protection from hole 6 fairway and baskets.
If protecting that area (to the left from tee to tree) is the intent then the TD should be obligated to place the plane from tee to tree.
I know it's at the discretion of the TD but where else could the plane be drawn?

You are not the only one who thought that. Can you point to the phrase in the rule that gave you that idea?

B. The restricted ( space) plane is a vertical plane marked by one or more objects or other markers which define the edges of the space.
I know it's up to the TD but if I was running the event that is where I would draw the plane.
My question is where does the fairway begin and how wide is teeing area?

My question is where does the fairway begin and how wide is teeing area?

There is no definition of the word "fairway" in the rules of disc golf. The only reference to it is in undue delay, where it's referenced as advancing down it (Mike K - this should be changed to "hole"). There simply is no definition of it.

The teeing area is defined in the rules as either the edges the tee pad if provided or the marked area. There is no minimum or maximum width of a teeing area. It is set by the director.

On hole 7 at my home course HB Clark designed the hole using the Mando tree as protection from hole 6 fairway and baskets.
If protecting that area (to the left from tee to tree) is the intent then the TD should be obligated to place the plane from tee to tree.
I know it's at the discretion of the TD but where else could the plane be drawn?

Well first off, that sounds like a horrible hole. Mandos do not prevent safety issues as they do not solve apathy of the rule, ignorance of the rule not physical error.

In this case, however, it doesn't sound like there is any other logical place for the mando plane to exist except running between the holes to the tee pad.

From the tree, put a line of paint on the ground (or stakes, string, etc) in whatever direction that makes the most sense for the restricted plane to be. But pointing it back to the tee is not a good idea.

Latest posts