• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Competition Manual and Rules

It's not the "simplicity" of a line in the rules but it's how to define, mark, inform players, see and retain the markings well enough to make proper calls in the field.

If a course is marked properly, my comment is correct.

If a course is not marked properly, the mando rule isn't the issue. Its the failure to present the course in accordance with the rules.

Has this violation ever actually been called by either the group (highly unlikely imo) or an official (somewhat more likely)?

I've never issued a penalty for it, but I've certainly had conversations about it. Masters Worlds is a pretty big violator of this rule. "Hey fellas, I know story-time is great and all, but let's get a move on, okay?"

Abandon all hope all ye who enter.

You need to be nice to those people.

Easiest way to think about it:

Mandos = here's a line you cannot cross at any point on this hole. If I cross it at any point, it's a penalty.

OB = here's a line you cannot come to rest beyond at any point on this hold. If I come to rest past that at any point, its a penalty.

I'm not saying you, but people have way overcomplicated this over the last year and it's as simple as I posted.

YAY!!! The RULE ITSELF is that simple. Glad you pointed that out.

Except that's not the rule.

It's a plane you cannot break. Sure a line is a 1D representation of the plane projected on to the ground.

It's not a matter of "crossing" the line, it's a matter of touching it.

99.9999% of your disc can "cross" and OB line and be in-bounds. 0.000000000% of a disc can "cross" a projected mando line.

And me having to explain this is why it is a poorly written rule.

Except that's not the rule.

It's a plane you cannot break. Sure a line is a 1D representation of the plane projected on to the ground.

It's not a matter of "crossing" the line, it's a matter of touching it.

99.9999% of your disc can "cross" and OB line and be in-bounds. 0.000000000% of a disc can "cross" a projected mando line.

And me having to explain this is why it is a poorly written rule.

Mandos = here's a line you cannot cross at any point on this hole. If I cross it at any point, it's a penalty.

OB = here's a line you cannot come to rest beyond at any point on this hold. If I come to rest past that at any point, its a penalty.

It's honestly that simple. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking and comparing two completely unrelated rules.

It's honestly that simple. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking and comparing two completely unrelated rules.

Your mando rule is still wrong. Please read it

Semantics, is the word I believe you were looking for...

But words have meaning, and "cross" is not the same as "touch"

Please show me, with the PDGA rules referenced, where this is.

Genuinely curious.

Semantics, is the word I believe you were looking for...

But words have meaning, and "cross" is not the same as "touch"

are you really arguing about "cross" vs "touch" on a plane that you can't physically see from a distance :|

also, cuz i had to look here's the rule

Last edited:
Your mando rule is still wrong. Please read it

are you really arguing about "cross" vs "touch" on a plane that you can't physically see from a distance :|

also, cuz i had to look here's the rule

Sorry, but it sounds like what you're objecting to is "touch"; not that the rule isn't simple or poorly written -- or "wrong" as you are saying.

Mando tree is 80 feet away. I gotta go to the right of it. I hang a 30 foot high curtain on the edge of the tree and stretch it to the left corner (as you face fairway) of the tee area (concrete pad). Hitting the curtain would be crossing the plane.
Since it is possible to release the disc " behind the curtain " standing on the left edge of the pad, am I supposed to keep to the right of the pad?
Exactly where does the fairway begin? Is it wide at the end of the pad (or back of )or does it begin on the two edges on the front (or back) of the pad and -V- out?

Last edited:
Mando tree is 80 feet away. I gotta go to the right of it. I hang a 30 foot high curtain on the edge of the tree and stretch it to the left corner (as you face fairway) of the tee area (concrete pad). Hitting the curtain would be crossing the plane.
Since it is possible to release the disc " behind the curtain " standing on the left edge of the pad, am I supposed to keep to the right of the pad?
Exactly where does the fairway begin? Is it wide at the end of the pad (or back of )or does it begin on the two edges on the front (or back) of the pad and -V- out?

I'm not quite following this, but the TD is required to draw a line off the mando which defines the plane.

There is no way to answer the question without seeing where the line is drawn.

not sure I understand the question. why does where the fairway begin matter? If your disc crosses the plane of the curtain (assuming that plane has been defined as the mandatory plane) it has missed the mandatory.

I think this picture addresses the situation you're describing:
single-over-back.png

The old rule -the line was drawn from the Mando tree perpendicular to the tee. The new rule (if I understand it)
Would be a plane from the Mando object to the tee.
-a- is the tee and -c- is the target

single-over-back.png

The old rule -the line was drawn from the Mando tree perpendicular to the tee. The new rule (if I understand it)
the new rule says the td can mark the mando line any way they want, so in the image above it is a missed mando. below i've drawn a couple of example mando lines where the flight doesn't miss mando. the pink line is what your describing. i wouldn't see a td doing this, but yes, if that is the line the td specifies, then throwing from the left side of the tee has a good chance of going through the plane and missing mando
attachment.php

Attachments

• mando.png
    mando.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 41
single-over-back.png

Nowhere does the new rule specify the mandatory plane goes toward the tee. The direction of the mandatory plane is defined by the TD.

The new rule (if I understand it)

You are not the only one who thought that. Can you point to the phrase in the rule that gave you that idea?

Latest posts