• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 PDGA Rules

In 2022 your foot plants to the side of the disc for the same shot.
Why to the side?

The lie is still behind the thrown disc.

Maybe it's just the wordsmith in me, but I don't think I'd phrase it that way. I'd describe more geometrically.

Draw a line from the target through the center of the thrown disc. The lie is a piece of notebook paper, centered on that line, immediately behind the disc. The location of any mando, is completely irrelevant to marking the lie.

You can move the paper along that line, and farther from the basket to take relief (subject to any penalty for said relief).

Why to the side?

The lie is still behind the thrown disc.

Maybe it's just the wordsmith in me, but I don't think I'd phrase it that way. I'd describe more geometrically.

Draw a line from the target through the center of the thrown disc. The lie is a piece of notebook paper, centered on that line, immediately behind the disc. The location of any mando, is completely irrelevant to marking the lie.

You can move the paper along that line, and farther from the basket to take relief (subject to any penalty for said relief).

I wasn't clear. Regarding the pic on the previous page. If the disc was closer to the Mando, old rule and new rule would be about 90 degrees apart (instead of 45 deg as illustrated), for the same lie. It would feel weird throwing from the left side of your disc toward the mando.

I see what you mean. The rule change means the lie could end up closer to the mando than in previous years, because the LOP changed.

That's because the LOP is defined by a radius, and one of the points defining that radius changed for 2022 (i.e from being the mando, to being the basket).

Still have to take a stance behind your disc.
But "behind" is now relative to the basket, instead of relative to the mando.

< total geek

Last edited:
The idea behind the updated LOP rules is to treat a physical wall (e.g. dense tall forest) and a virtual wall (mandatory) identically in relation to stance.

So is the side of the teepad now the front for a horsheshoe hole?
Why would that matter? As long as your supporting point(s) are on the tee pad at the time of release, you can throw any direction from the pad. It might be a little tougher to see legal foot placement on natural pads with just a front line marked but the stance rule remains the same.

Why would that matter? As long as your supporting point(s) are on the tee pad at the time of release, you can throw any direction from the pad. It might be a little tougher to see legal foot placement on natural pads with just a front line marked but the stance rule remains the same.

Doesn't matter at the tee, but creates interesting situation for a long horseshoe shaped hole, or possibly if you hit an early tree and do not make it to the turn with your first throw. Then on your second throw you have to step over your disc or mini for legal foot placement, and if your rear foot stays down at release that would be a stance violation. (Or of course you could x-step so that your rear foot steps over the disc, plant away from it, and make sure your rear foot stays at the lie when releasing.)

Doesn't matter at the tee, but creates interesting situation for a long horseshoe shaped hole, or possibly if you hit an early tree and do not make it to the turn with your first throw. Then on your second throw you have to step over your disc or mini for legal foot placement, and if your rear foot stays down at release that would be a stance violation. (Or of course you could x-step so that your rear foot steps over the disc, plant away from it, and make sure your rear foot stays at the lie when releasing.)
Yes, that is clear. Just pointing out the change in LOP definition doesn't change the stance rule on the tee although the alignment of some permanent drop zones is likely messed up that were installed aiming at the mando and not the target under the new LOP rule.

It's not comprehensive, and I don't know if anybody's posted this earlier in this thread, but it couldn't hurt to make it easier to find this. I thought this video does a good job of explaining some of the most notable rule changes.

...plus he's got a great Aussie accent.

Thanks for sharing that. Great summary of many of the changes.

My only real quibble is showing the relief when a disc is in the corner. The 1m needs to go through the thrown disc.

Latest posts