• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Competition Manual and Rules

802.03 EXCESSIVE TIME
Using the phrase "remains clear" provides additional clarity that a player's 30-second time window restarts if the playing area does not remain continuously clear.

A.4. During which the playing area i̶s̶ remains clear.

This seems like an AWFUL change.

This seems like an AWFUL change.

The old time rule, which existed for roughly 20 years until 2022, had tremendous debate about when a distraction occurred does the clock stop or reset.

The rule then changed last year to say that if the player area isn't clear, the clock resets. The logic here was the clock was less likely to stop (what is a distraction? I could argue that the wind is distracting me, the difficulty of the shot was mentally distracting, anything) but it when it needed to due to safety, the 30 second clock restarted. This update (not change, update) clarifies this.

If the clock stopped as opposed to reset, it would be a disaster. Imagine taking 29 seconds and just as you are throwing, someone runs into the fairway. They then move and now you have less than a second to throw? Basically impossible.

This clarification of the word "remains" applies that this could happen multiple times in a single instance as well as could continue on. I applaud the rules committee for this common sense clarification.

What defines playing area?

The playing area is not defined to my knowledge. (IMHO, it should be added to the index. Mike? AM I missing this?)

However, when I marshal I define the playing area as anywhere the disc could logically go, even in error.

This rule is clearly about safety and players, IMHO, should always give leeway if a player thinks he or she might hit someone.

The playing area is not defined to my knowledge. (IMHO, it should be added to the index. Mike? AM I missing this?)

However, when I marshal I define the playing area as anywhere the disc could logically go, even in error.

This rule is clearly about safety and players, IMHO, should always give leeway if a player thinks he or she might hit someone.

I would agree with your interpretation.

Since it is undefined in the rules however we are going to see people treating the playing area as anywhere they can see- the parking lot 200 feet behind the basket for example.

Playing area is not explicitly defined. One of the hardest thing about writing many of the rules in disc golf is the variety of areas that the game is played in. This makes it difficult to define things like playing surface or playing area. The playing area is not just the fairway/green. There are times where OB would be considered part of the playing area as players are expected to throw across that space. With the gallery at some events 50' from the pin, we are not expecting those spaces to be part of the playing area. This is one of those where the group needs to make the best call based on their experience. The playing area for a MA4 player might be shorter and wider than the playing area for a MPO player where it is longer and tighter.

The playing area might also not be the entire hole either. If players are putting out 800' away, they are probably not in the playing area for someone teeing off.

. . . This rule is clearly about safety and players, IMHO, should always give leeway if a player thinks he or she might hit someone.

100% agree. Safety first.

To avoid unnecessary delays, TDs might need to re-think spectator areas at some courses.

∴ the playing area for touring pros is considerably larger than it is for noodle arms like me.

As a side note, why should Excessive Time be in the rulebook versus the PDGA Competition Manual other than as a recommendation for those who want to follow a written set of disc golf rules independent of PDGA Competition strictures? For example, shouldn't a version of "ready golf" be the default timing guideline for just playing the game versus in competition?

As a side note, why should Excessive Time be in the rulebook versus the PDGA Competition Manual other than as a recommendation for those who want to follow a written set of disc golf rules independent of PDGA Competition strictures? For example, shouldn't a version of "ready golf" be the default timing guideline for just playing the game versus in competition?

Its a solid question.

I believe the answer is because at it's core, its about safety.

How about this definition?

Playing Area: The area where a player's disc has a reasonable chance to travel through and land. The playing area can be different for each player due to different player's skills and planned approach to their landing spot.

Didn't take long and I realized there might be a better definition as the playing area can change.

Playing Area: A changeable area based on the disc's, intended and actual, flight. The playing area is initially the area where the player intendeds to have their disc pass through and land. However, the playing area may change once the disc is released by the player. At that time, the playing area becomes the area that the disc is actually passing through and landing.

Didn't take long and I realized there might be a better definition as the playing area can change.

Playing Area: A changeable area based on the disc's, intended and actual, flight. The playing area is initially the area where the player intendeds to have their disc pass through and land. However, the playing area may change once the disc is released by the player. At that time, the playing area becomes the area that the disc is actually passing through and landing.

So someone 3 feet behind the basket is not within the playing area unless you miss your putt...

As Mike alluded to, it's basically impossible to define that. I had never thought of that but he's SPOT on.

So how do you define gray areas in rules? with the best and most underused rule in the sport. The fairness rule.

"These rules have been designed to promote fair play for all disc golfers. In using these rules, the player should apply the rule that most directly addresses the situation at hand. If any point in dispute is not covered by the rules, the decision is made in accordance with fairness. Often a logical extension of the closest existing rule or the principles embodied in these rules will provide guidance for determining fairness."

I call this the "get out of jail free card." This is my go to in all the crazy "what ifs" with the bolded part the true best part.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80101

With that definition, James Conrad does not get to wait for the other players to get up off the bench to start his run-up.

Also, why does the playing area matter once the disc is released? The clock has stopped at that point.

Like Mike said: it's not easy. Further, a complete definition would require thousands of words, but rules work best when they can be carried around in player's heads.

With that definition, James Conrad does not get to wait for the other players to get up off the bench to start his run-up.

Also, why does the playing area matter once the disc is released? The clock has stopped at that point.

Like Mike said: it's not easy. Further, a complete definition would require thousands of words, but rules work best when they can be carried around in player's heads.

Regarding the playing area once the disc is released.....a definition like that can cover things like....a player should not enter another player's playing area while the disc is in motion.

But, yeah, playing area and other things are difficult to properly define in one short paragraph.

With player's who like to 'push' the rules....without a definition it is open to wide interpretations and who could call a player on it when there's no definition?

Player A: "I'm waiting for the playing area to get clear."
Player B: "The playing area is clear"
Player A: "No, there's a duck swimming in the water and it is distracting me. It might take off as I'm throwing and fly into the disc's flight path."

Sounds, ridiculous....but I have heard something similar and the player was serious.

Latest posts