• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 PDGA Champions Cup, April 20-23

A big reason for the changes is because hole 14's tee is behind hole 1's tee and 18's basket. It's annoying to have an errant drive hit 1's tee or 18's green at high speed. Players exiting 18 had to peek around the corner to make sure no one was driving on 14. Players on 14 had to wait for 1 to finish teeing. The best change for 14's tee is to move it shorter and right, which now puts it near interference with 18's green/fairway. Players transitioning from 13 to 14 would have to sneak past 18's green. So 18 was moved to the field, out of the way of 14, and a better viewing experience for spectators.
And at least for CC, players don't warm up on that field. They warm up on the other side of Warner next to their parking area.

There's a few other minor changes (at least for FPO) to make scoring better.

Thanks, that's a helpful explanation for how it improves course flow as well as spectator experience. I can visualize those exact issues you mention!

Because there are too many professionals in the current wait list whose livelihood depends on signing up for big events, especially majors. I imagine they know how to sign up for tournaments. So the fact that SO many did not, makes me think the blame may be at least partially elsewhere.

Does anyone here really think ALL these top players thought of a major as an afterthought?

what about the fact that SO many did manage to sign up in time?

I don't disagree that whoever was responsible for sending out the registration info should reflect on the results of the signups and change things up for next year. the fact that a ton of high rated players did manage to sign up leads me to believe that the blame lies entirely with those that didn't sign up in time.

what about the fact that SO many did manage to sign up in time?

I don't disagree that whoever was responsible for sending out the registration info should reflect on the results of the signups and change things up for next year. the fact that a ton of high rated players did manage to sign up leads me to believe that the blame lies entirely with those that didn't sign up in time.

One possibility I haven't seen mentioned (I may have missed it) is that the tournament got filled before those players tried to register. It's getting very common (IMO) that tournaments are filling up quickly and if "you snooze you lose". Some tournaments fill their list within 24 hours, or sooner, of opening registration.

One possibility I haven't seen mentioned (I may have missed it) is that the tournament got filled before those players tried to register. It's getting very common (IMO) that tournaments are filling up quickly and if "you snooze you lose". Some tournaments fill their list within 24 hours, or sooner, of opening registration.

it has been mentioned before (and is mentioned again in the post above mine) that there was tiered registration. anybody who was 1020+ had a week to sign up for MPO before it was opened up to 1000+. the fact that there are a few 990 rated players shows that not enough people signed up for TWO WEEKS for them to be able to make it

It would be unfair to criticize the PDGA for poor communication. First, they never **** anything up. Second, they were rightfully busy during the off-season targeting one single member. It was a full-time job.

so weird how the communication was poor and yet the vast majority of high rated players managed to sign up

Because there are too many professionals in the current wait list whose livelihood depends on signing up for big events, especially majors. I imagine they know how to sign up for tournaments. So the fact that SO many did not, makes me think the blame may be at least partially elsewhere.

Does anyone here really think ALL these top players thought of a major as an afterthought?

According to the way back machine: tiered registration opened Jan 30th for all invited players, Feb 6th for 1020 and up, Feb 13th for 1000 and up, Feb 20 for 980 and up.

https://web.archive.org/web/2023012...PDGA_Champions_Cup_Presented_by_Bushnell_2023

In case you missed this, it was their fault.

In case you missed this, it was their fault.

The part that makes me wonder is the "Invited" tier. Who all was "invited"? Maybe those 9XX rated players were part of the invited tier and got to sign up early. It would be nice (but unlikely) to hear from the players that are on the waitlist as to why they didn't get in. Did they procrastinate? Was it closed before it got to them? Were they working on travel arrangements before registering?

The part that makes me wonder is the "Invited" tier. Who all was "invited"? Maybe those 9XX rated players were part of the invited tier and got to sign up early. It would be nice (but unlikely) to hear from the players that are on the waitlist as to why they didn't get in. Did they procrastinate? Was it closed before it got to them? Were they working on travel arrangements before registering?

Invite list:
https://www.pdga.com/2023championscup/invite-list

It would be nice (but unlikely) to hear from the players that are on the waitlist as to why they didn't get in. Did they procrastinate? Was it closed before it got to them? Were they working on travel arrangements before registering?

This is the best response really. Everything else is just judgment and conjecture. If none of them are upset, perhaps it WAS all their fault. But we don't know at this point.

For instance, having a week to register is great...unless some were not informed of the dates of registration. The argument of 'so many top players did' register loses a bit of steam with so many being invited directly.

27 MPO players got invites. There are 100 registered currently. It appears registration went into the "1000 and above" tier but filled at that level. (There are 3 sub 1000 players registered- 2 were invited and 1 was above 1000 at the time of registration.)

MTL is an experienced TD with substantial attention to detail. I'll take "the 7 players over 1020 who didn't get in must have screwed up" FTW. With the touring players now dealing primarily with one entity (DGPT) for event registrations it isn't a shock that a few slipped up on getting into what is still a pretty new event early in the season. No one forgets about Worlds or USDGC and the European Open requires a lot of planning for travel so deadlines don't get missed there either.

The player ID verification part is what I actually find interesting. I think this is the first event to have required that process.

27 MPO players got invites. There are 100 registered currently. It appears registration went into the "1000 and above" tier but filled at that level. (There are 3 sub 1000 players registered- 2 were invited and 1 was above 1000 at the time of registration.)

MTL is an experienced TD with substantial attention to detail. I'll take "the 7 players over 1020 who didn't get in must have screwed up" FTW. With the touring players now dealing primarily with one entity (DGPT) for event registrations it isn't a shock that a few slipped up on getting into what is still a pretty new event early in the season. No one forgets about Worlds or USDGC and the European Open requires a lot of planning for travel so deadlines don't get missed there either.

The player ID verification part is what I actually find interesting. I think this is the first event to have required that process.

While I appreciate the kudos, I am not the TD.

Oh (insert Ass-u-me punchline)... well in that case... BURN THE PDGA TO THE GROUND!!!!!! FREE JAMES CONRAD! :D:p

I see now it is Nate. Nice to see him running a big event for a change. :sick:

Of course this also frees me up to go "why is this a Major anyway?" ;)

I see now it is Nate :sick::sick:

Dunno if it's just me, but seems kinda weak sauce to call the event the Champion's Cup and not give auto invites to previous World Champions (Conrad).

I like how winners of some events get auto bids, but it just feels wrong that a former MPO or FPO World Champ gets snubbed, even if their title was 3-4 years ago.

Dunno if it's just me, but seems kinda weak sauce to call the event the Champion's Cup and not give auto invites to previous World Champions (Conrad).

I like how winners of some events get auto bids, but it just feels wrong that a former MPO or FPO World Champ gets snubbed, even if their title was 3-4 years ago.
Yeah, I agree with this. It appears they're clearly emphasizing it is the Cup for LAST YEAR'S Champions. But I'd like to see it go even further - I think it'd be cool to see to it that every Pro Major winner got an invite. Worlds, USDGC, PDGA Championship, etc.

Random idea: What if there was an event that invited every PDGA Major champion? Amateur. Professional. All of them. Pair it up with DGPT's All Star Weekend. A nice pro payout. Chances to play on groups with top pros for Amateur former Major winners. You could get McBeth (Worlds) and Buhr (USDGC) on a card with Krans (Am Worlds) and Groh (USADGC). Tattar (Worlds) and King (USWDGC) with Burge (Am Worlds) and Yale (Am USWDGC). Opportunities to put together featured cards with multi-generational Pro World Champions (Sias, Russell, Todd, and Barsby?).

I'm sure there's plenty of logistical weirdness and reasons it isn't a good enough investment, but it sure sounds fun to me.

Some of the players who DID get in, but said they had to have a buddy remind them, mentioned what seems to be the likely reason that others didn't get in. With the addition of the tour card, players were automatically signed up for DGPT elite/silver events this year. That means previous years of "I gotta sign up for this tournament, then the deadline for this one is on this day, etc" is a thing of the past. Majors aren't DGPT elite events though, so simply having a DGPT tour card doesn't necessarily mean you get to play the majors...and it doesn't sign you up automatically even if you do qualify.

Brodie Smith has told the story a couple of times about signing up for the European Open (I think it was the EO) and then being refunded because he wasn't eligible at the time. My guess is a lot of players just aren't really paying much attention to this stuff. Particularly this year...when the DGPT auto-registered tour card holders...a lot of players probably just said "sweet, my DGPT tour is all taken care of" and didn't pay much attention to the Master's Cup email telling them to go register.

An auto invite? Or an auto registration? I believe Conrad WAS invited (I'm not sure it relates to being a world champion previously, I don't think it is). He just didn't register when given the opportunity.