• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 PDGA Champions Cup, April 20-23

"One example"..."might".

attachment.php

Anything can happen on one hole. In this case, the scores for FPO trended up by rating, so the average score for ratings of about 940 might be equal - where the line going down crosses the line going up.

From the same data, we could also "conclude" that 860-rated FPOs are as good as 969-rated MPOs. Which would also not be realistic.
I agree this is a funky hole that frustrated many players. It's just one that appeared to be fluky enough to level the field based on "skill" between males and females at a particular rating. I liked what Shawn, the designer did in terms of designing a hole with a technical roller or precision flex. However, what looked like a 3-trunked tree in the "fairway" you have to miss probably needs to be reduced to two or one stalk to allow a bit more room to allow a higher percentage of shots to get thru based on skill.

(We just might be thread-drifting here.)

#3 at MCO certainly nullified the traditional skill set for the FPO players. Based on its tiny contribution to scoring spread, it wasn't testing a non-traditional skill, either.

The opposite of #13, which forcefully imposed its own version of skill on the results.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SSWMCO.jpg
    SSWMCO.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 136
Mixed doubles, all players throw would be a better way to assess skill differences between M & F. Not perfect because each throw has something of a safety, but it would help to see them throwing the same throws for a full round.

How often is there "cross-pollination" between MPO and FPO. What is the "baseline" rating that is used to determine how FPO ratings are determined.

All this talk is very interesting, but at the end of the day it is really an academic moot, topic. There are MPO and FPO divisions for a reason.

How often is there "cross-pollination" between MPO and FPO. What is the "baseline" rating that is used to determine how FPO ratings are determined.
It's a mix ranging from events where FPO plays a completely separate course from MPO, to playing to the same tees/baskets as MPO, to playing the same course with several holes different from MPO.

I haven't been as active on DGCR for the past year plus. Popped back in because I was enjoying Champions Cup and wanted to see what you all are saying about it. Nice to know that all tournament discussions still drift into ratings or rules discussions. Never change DGCR, never change.

Kudos to Mason Ford tying Matty O for 5th rocking Mint Discs! Congrats to Isaac, of course. Very impressed with the lead card in rounds 2 and 3 - what a showing!

I haven't been as active on DGCR for the past year plus. Popped back in because I was enjoying Champions Cup and wanted to see what you all are saying about it. Nice to know that all tournament discussions still drift into ratings or rules discussions. Never change DGCR, never change.

What do you think about hole 18 at blue ridge tho

Zero spit out discussion tho so I guess the baskets were ok

For this event, all the holes except one par 5 for FPO and one par 5 for MPO had guideline pars. So, we could think of this as a course where the winning under par score was 9 under per round.

Most of the holes were on the easy side for their par.

Actually, no, she'd be rated lower.

As has been pointed out, without enough cross-pollination FPO ratings don't mean the same thing as MPO ratings. Right now, it takes more skill to get a 990 rating playing against MPO than it does playing against FPO.

Also, the extra distance required for the MPO courses (at least at the top events) would become a weakness in her game.

Well I am not going to derail this topic. Your statement is likely very true for the Elite (touring) pros where those are the only events they play.

That's all.

Didnt think about it at the time...But the only C1X putt Kristen "missed" was the layup for the win at the last hole.

...Eveliina missed 32 putts, so if she had the same putting stats as Kristen she would have been i 2nd place just a few thrown back

So Eveliina CAN match Kristin on the course but has no chance in the circle, ,

...Eveliina missed 32 putts, so if she had the same putting stats as Kristen she would have been i 2nd place just a few thrown back

So Eveliina CAN match Kristin on the course but has no chance in the circle, ,

Been that way for he better part of multiple seasons now. Evelina is as good as any FPO player has ever been off the tee. She'd be near the top of the leaderboard most weekends if her putting was merely average for FPO.

Been that way for he better part of multiple seasons now. Evelina is as good as any FPO player has ever been off the tee. She'd be near the top of the leaderboard most weekends if her putting was merely average for FPO.

She'd be near the leader board if she just eliminated 3 putting.

She'd be near the leader board if she just eliminated 3 putting.

I wonder what her issue is.....does she just not practice putting? Or does she only practice from short distances (15 feet in?) expecting her drives/upshots to get her close to the basket? She seems to be a 'drive for show' person and she really can throw. But she needs to work on the 'putt for dough' part of her game.

I've seen her in person and, to me/in my opinion, she seems to think putts should just go in. She doesn't seem to focus or really take her time with her putts. And if you watch her putting, she doesn't seem to be consistent. But, again, that is my opinion from observation and I could be totally wrong.

Heck, it might be something as simple as she needs to have her eyes checked and get glasses.....who knows? It's just surprising that putting is such an bad part of her game. After all these years/rounds, I would think she would have been working on that part of her game more knowing it is a huge weakness.

Latest posts