• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Portland Open

The MPO winner ladies and gents! Too bad this wasn't the winning putt.

jixplrzn134b1.jpg

Just watched MPO finial round, and agree with Sexton: Gossage's weak approach on 18 bit him in the ass.

Yes, super bad spit on 16, but Hammes' bogey on 17 put Gossage in the driver's seat going into 18. His weak upshot left him a kind of a high pressure, tester putt that he threw too low. From where he was, players at this level definitely expect to place it close enough to have an easy putt

Gossage is knocking on the door, but he's gotta figure out how to open it for himself.

Hammes showed some grit after bogeying 17 to lose his lead, then throwing OB on 18, before sticking a long putt, forcing Gossage to sink his tester putt for the W.

Gossage putts low, and ...we got a playoff.

But I bet the folks at Discraft were happy to have their players own the podium.

Last edited:
It's good to see that announcer dude has toned things down just a bit.

Just like flag guy, announcer guy should not be a distraction.
FYI, the announcer in round 4 for the last 4 cards was a different person than the rest of the tourney.

We saw several spit outs from these baskets near the upper support ring.

I think there are 3 factors-high, nose up, and too fast.

I want to say it was a Calvin putt that had 2of3, but nose down and it went straight down to the basket instead of out.

Here's a front and side view of the putt. Dead center pole and I wouldn't call it either high or nose up. Aaron puts some pace on his putts but it was on the way down and it didn't seem blasted.

Screenshot-20230608-112135-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20230608-112034-You-Tube.jpg

My 2 cents on the putt: It was completely flat and had enough pace to hit the center pole and ricochet. It probably only had about a 5% chance to bounce out, but that type of putt will do that on occasion. If it was nose up or nose down, the ricochet would have flipped the disc sideways like a coin flip, and it would have had less chance to get the bad ricochet.

My practice basket at home is homemade and the basket is a circular laundry basket that is smaller diameter than the standard basket. Due to this, it only catches putts when thrown with just the right pace and nose angle. His putt on that hole would spit out on my homemade basket probably ~80% time at least, just the same way his did in the tournament.

Here's a front and side view of the putt. Dead center pole and I wouldn't call it either high or nose up. Aaron puts some pace on his putts but it was on the way down and it didn't seem blasted.

Screenshot-20230608-112135-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20230608-112034-You-Tube.jpg

I had not seen that actual putt until later, but totally agree there is a side view that shows it was nose down.

Earlier in the event there were two similar putts, one that spit and one that dropped. The only difference I saw was nose angle.

i just want slow to medium paced putts that hit center pole to be caught.

During his hole 9 breakdown in the final round, Uli describes the ideal drive involving a flare slip off of a large patch of dried dirt to get the disc moving right to left to set up the second shot.

This type of ground play dynamism feels like a potentially exciting addition to hole design. Sand Bunkers provide the opposite effect but I wonder how the incorporation of specific landing zones for skips or horizontal movement in hole design could create more challenging holes.

In the final round nobody on lead card hits the dirt and 3/4 still get the birdie fwiw.

Latest posts