• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 fingers or 4?

leroybrown

I have been using the traditional 4 finger power grip, but i was playing a round with an older guy that plays at my home course a lot, and he was giving me some tips. One of them was to use a 3 finger backhand grip, instead of the 4. I couldnt really argue with him seeing that he was easily throwing 350 feet. DOes anyone one have any sort of advise on whether the 3 finger grip is better?

I've tried the 3-finger power grip, and it always feels like it's getting away from me. I say go throw a few and see how it feels.

I love using three fingers on the wider rim discs that are coming out (Boss, Katana, Nuke, etc.). I small hands and the wider rims were to hard for me to hold on a regular power grip. I do feel like I can get more snap on the disc with three fingers, but I definately loose some accuracy with it. I still use the four finger grip for most of my throws, but when I have the opportunity to really let it fly I go down to three.

Anything over speed 6 and I switch to a 2 finger power grip. I get more snap and its way more consistent for me.

I'm an "older guy" and I use 3 fingers. It helps me keep the nose down on my throws... giving me more distance and accuracy (as well as a long turnover shot I didn't have before using it). Everyone has different motions, so use what works for you.

Forgive my ignorance, but which finger is omitted in the three finger power grip?

The pinky is taken off the inside of the rim.

This is my grip, I love it. I started with the 4 finger but once I tried and got used to the 3 finger I was throwing a lot more accurately, farther, and consistently.

I just say go out and try it for a round or maybe a hole or two.

I feel like I have more control with a four-finger grip, but I'm 100% sure that I can throw farther with a three-finger grip.

I started with the 4 finger grip but now I use the 3 finger grip as I feel I can get a more powerful and quicker snap from it. Just a preferrence thing I feel.

I don't really notice a difference in how far or how accurately I throw with 3 vs 4 fingers. I use 3 only because it feels more comfortable.

With 4 fingers I get more snap resulting in more distance. The 3 finger gives me an earlier release allowing the disc to fly low.

Lost a fight with a table saw 10 years ago , so I like the 2.5 finger grip. Maybe I can go lefty and try 3 or 4.

I am also a 3 finger grip, I am surprised at how many there are out there as I am the odd ball amongst my DG friends. I think 3 fingers is much more comfortable than 4, that is the only reason I use it.

I'd love to see what a DGCR consultant has to say about the differences between the two and any scientific reasoning as to why one should be used over the other for a given situation.

I actually tested this out yesterday on the driving range at my local course and with the 3 finger I was consistently throwing 25-30' further that the 4 finger grip I was using.

I really can't get my pinky fully onto the rim anyways so I think it might have been slowing it down a bit.

Latest posts