• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

320-330ft. cant get past this...

He's old. And I'm not sure if he ever could throw far, because working on distance technique has never been important to him.

Why cant hysell break 350? Injury or bad technique or what?
As far as I can tell he has good mechanics but lacks "snap." It's pretty much the same problem that 99% of disc golfers have. He apparently decided that it wasn't worth learning and that winning tournaments was more important to him. It sounds like a very reasonable decision to me.

Distance and being 1000 rated are mutually exclusive. Sure it helps to have the D, but that doesn't make someone 1000 rated, or keep them from it. I can out distance all but one of our local 1000 rated pros, but they will beat my ass all day, everyday on the course.

Agree, it is like I would prefer 350 with more accuracy and consistency than 400 or even 450 with less accuracy/consistency.

Avery, GG and Wiggins Jr are some who have big distance driving but they need to work on other aspect of game such as putting, upshots and driving accuracy/consistency to be able to get to the top consistently.

I want to have all, good putting, good upshots and great timing/snap for driving :) Working on them!

I want to have all, good putting, good upshots and great timing/snap for driving :) Working on them![/QUOTE]

I would add mental strength and focus to that list.

Agree about mental strength/focus which I believe I am pretty good at it (always have a room for improvement) having played competitive sports for many years (tournament racquetball 20 years, auto racing 3 years, tournament paintball 3 years) so that helps me in that area. There is excellent book about mental side of golf (ball/disc golf) written by Dr. Morris Pickens called "Learn to Win: One Shot at A Time". Good reading. Lot of common sense in it.

The big plus of finding right/best timing/snap would allow me to have extra distance with less effort which translate into more accurate and consistent drives which is big key in disc golf (i.e. landing on the middle of fairways and getting closer to the basket). So it pays to work on that!

I have a hard time saying that every male should be able to throw 400' just because Paige Piece can, and I'll bet she's a lot stronger than she looks. I've found that in most sports across the board, the very top few female athletes will beat about 99% of males. Physically most men have the strength, but not the athletic coordination and/or training ethic to reach that. I've trained with a few Olympians male and female and seen guys that work just as hard or harder that should have the potential physically, but will never reach that level of even the top females because of a lack natural athletic coordination that couldn't be taught after years or even a life time of training.

Well I think most men (how much %?) if well trained and well taught could throw 400'. I have seen players in my league/tournaments throw around 400' time to time. But as for 500' or so then it will be diff story. The only time I saw someone throw at least 500 feet is Dan Beto twice at BRP and Paul McBeth and Double G at Jacksonville Open.

I am curious what are average driving for women pro versus men am in ball golf?

I just checked WWW and the average LPGA driving (top 100 women players) is 250 yards.

The average ball golf driving distance for men am (the average men am handicap is 15) is 230 yards.

So if top women disc golfer (let say top 5) average 375-400 then the average Joe Discgolfer would be around 325 to 350. Sounds about right.

I am still working on improving my timing/snap, give me a year and see what happens :)

I've posted many times about pushing your max distance limits vs accuracy. Simply put if you raise your max distance your accuracy at shorter distances will usually increase with practice. People don't want to hear this because they think the two exclusive. They are very much linked. I've broken it down several times if I look through my post and find it I'll post it. /goes off to search posts.

Y'all do realize that fastpitch softball pitchers are using a totally different throwing motion and ball than a baseball pitcher. That's why they throw faster, and the ball broke the machine (they are also able to pitch much more because it is not as hard on the body to do their motion). It's comparing apples to oranges. If one of the softball pitchers threw like a baseball pitcher with a baseball, or a baseball pitcher learn to throw like a softball pitcher with a softball then you have a more accurate comparison.

I understand the difference and I think most people here do. The point I was going for is, women are just as capable as men.

I think we need to get off the topic of comparing men to women, because the top women athletes can certainly be stronger than the average male. But, you all do realize that David Wiggins Jr. has been throwing over 400' since about age 11, right? So if you want to argue that strength is holding you back, then you're just not as strong as an 11 year old boy.

Lawlz, damn eleven year olds using roids! Heh, ie: roids thread!

The key to throwing far can be summed up in three words "engage your hips". If your not getting "your ass" into a throw then your robbing yourself of tremendous distance. I'm 6'6 300 and used to throw with nothing but arm and could, on a good day, break 400. Now that Ive gotten my hips into my throw I'm conistently over 470 with my best throw being roughly 560. The best way I describe it is dont think of a disc golf throw as a throw at all. It is more akin to a baseball swing with your hand hitting a spot in front of you jettisoning the disc away from your hand. If you ever watch a pro baseball player hit, their swing starts from the ground up. Power starting from the feet, through the legs with the hips being the fulcrum. I talked to Avery about this adnauseum when he was down here for states and he agreed completely. Also the idea of forcing the nose down on a throw is actually incorrect the ideal release angle is flat, I believe this is the single biggest falacy spewed by pros. In fact by pushing the nose down to far you actually disturb your natural arm position and this can lead to OAT. Only by mastering a "disc level" release can one truly obtain long distance and accurate drives.

Last edited:
LAWLZ /stabs pencils in ears! I dun wanna hear it!!!

Man, some people really make me laugh.

Latest posts