• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

320-330ft. cant get past this...

You have a good point with the hips, there is a big difference when they're utilized correctly.

But, I don't believe you really understand how disc and "wings" work. Not to mention how flight paths without nose down work.

I think we need to get off the topic of comparing men to women, because the top women athletes can certainly be stronger than the average male. But, you all do realize that David Wiggins Jr. has been throwing over 400' since about age 11, right? So if you want to argue that strength is holding you back, then you're just not as strong as an 11 year old boy.

Michael Phelps beat 99% of all swimmers at 11 years old and was making US Open qualifying times. ;)

You have a good point with the hips, there is a big difference when they're utilized correctly.

But, I don't believe you really understand how disc and "wings" work. Not to mention how flight paths without nose down work.

Please dont misunderstand Im not acting like a bad nose angle is correct, but when players especially AMs try to "push" the nose down to much they tend to either over hyzer or annhyzer the disc. One can achieve level to slightly nose down without "pushing" it down. That was my only point. As for the actual physics or the correlation of nose down angle to the flight characteristics of a disc I will leave that to people much smarter then me, such as yourself.

Last edited:
Michael Phelps beat 99% of all swimmers at 11 years old and was making US Open qualifying times. ;)

Michael Phelps had amazing feel for the water and incredible technique. Just as Wiggins has a natural propensity to bomb discs. There are those who just "get it" and technique just comes to them. Then their are the rest of us mere mortals that have to actually work for this crap and bang our heads against the wall when we fail.

Most people will never be able to throw past 300'. Does that mean they suck at disc golf? NO. They are very accurate and consistent with their drives.

Most people will never be able to throw past 300'. Does that mean they suck at disc golf? NO. They are very accurate and consistent with their drives.

So now just because someone can't throw far that means they're accurate? Where do you people come up with this ****? Doesn't increase their accuracy just because they don't throw far. Nothing will more than practice, but again. You obviously don't understand how distance and accuracy relate and how they benefit each other.

So now just because someone can't throw far that means they're accurate? Where do you people come up with this ****? Doesn't increase their accuracy just because they don't throw far. Nothing will more than practice, but again. You obviously don't understand how distance and accuracy relate and how they benefit each other.

Agreed, the fact is if you are throwing the disc correctly for accurancy you should by definition also have above average distance.

It breaks down in a decent percentage pool, but simple said. The farther you throw the easier it is to hit distances under your max without full power. So given a longer max distance than someone else your accuracy at farther distances will generally be higher.

Of course this is given sufficient practice, but obviously someone throwing farther will almost always have higher % at disances under their max. And, of coursethe percentages change depending on your practice. Most will be different.

Guess for those that might not know, when throwing at max power most people generally suffer from accuracy loss. So that's why you'll generally have higher accuracy percentages at lower power.

So, are you trying to argue that swimming doesn't take technique? I'm not saying Wiggins Jr. isn't a phenom, I'm just saying that technique>strength.

So, are you trying to argue that swimming doesn't take technique? I'm not saying Wiggins Jr. isn't a phenom, I'm just saying that technique>strength.

Au contraire mon frere...I'm saying that 99% of athletes either can't or won't learn the proper technique to beat an 11 year old phenom when you look at the results of most skill dominant sports. :D

Yeah, don't go back in time and challenge an 11 year old Ken Climo to a game of Pogs. YOU WILL GET OWNED.

Seriously though, somebody who is still phsically developing and possesses technical skill in the top percent of their sport will only get better. If they stay with it. I bet if lil Wiggy drops discs all together and starts smoking bongs and eating Subway sandwiches (a'la Phelps) in 10 years of not touching a disc he would still easily be able to throw 450+ (with "old school" discs). Which is still better than 99% of all current disc golfers.

All this talk about "natural athleticism", are you talking about "from birth" (nature) or "acquired through playing a multitude of sports and/or focusing on one or few since very young" (nurture) even if the sport they have played since 5 was something else than DG?

I would side with the latter. Sure, SOME people get xtra good genes from their parents and thus have a bit of a head start on the rest of us, but for MOST it is more nurture than nature. If I ever have kids, I'm doing my utmost to introduce them to a plethora of sports until they find at least some that they like. Even if they don't follow that road when adults, they will have increased body control etc. etc.

The first real sport that I myself did fo a hobby was martial arts at the age of 21. :doh: Thanks Sega Megadrive! DG came a close second at the age of 26, too late to become a pro??:confused: :)

dont think of a disc golf throw as a throw at all. It is more akin to a baseball swing with your hand hitting a spot in front of you jettisoning the disc away from your hand.

Also, this!

That's what I always say when teaching newcomers to drive. I say, don't worry about consciously releasing the disc at all, just use your hips/shoulders like you're hitting a baseball with a bat, and once your hand whips forward, reaches it's maximum extension and changes direction, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HOLD IT NO MATTER HOW STRONG YOU ARE.

Another way to put it is to say think of backhand bitch slapping someone as hard as you possibly can, arm limp.

Of course, all this can be a lot to digest for a newcomer. He/she is still thinking about "throwing a beach frisbee" with mostly arm motion (which is all good for a short upshot or a putt, but less so for a drive, even a 50% power controlled one).

Latest posts