• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 years and can't get it...

murphy0105

First time posting here but I'm desperate for some advice.
I've been playing for about 4 years and got more serious last year.
My drive's seem inconsistent with some reaching out to 370ish, while other's are barely getting to 300. :wall: The odd part is the discs fly as they should. for example, a prodigy d5 will flip ride to the left and come back, but only getting out about 350... Attached is a midrange drive that went about 250. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxS0VzjSZalvMGpmd0plQ3RFbWc/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for any help or advice.

Slow down so you can accelerate through the hit. You need to get your elbow out forward with a closed shoulder, so your upper arm is not hugging yourself. Check vid below, "going from back here to up here adds anywhere from 60-100' or more".

those two videos are pretty much how I learned to throw. the first video is the closest thing we have to standard instruction. the second video is very good for accuracy and timing.

the dan beto video and mike c videos are hands down the best instructional videos on you tube for driving.

Thanks for the feedback and videos. I have seen the Mike C videos and thought they were really helpful but I have not seen these 2 or the drills. I never noticed that I do not lead with my elbow and have never heard that called out. I'll give that a try and let you know. I also noticed that I seem to be leading with my head and not letting my shoulder pick it up. do you think that could be part of the problem also?

MikeC learned from the Beto video. Bradley Walker used to post a lot of good info over there as well.

I've been working on the leading with the elbow approach and have seen a big increase in consistency already. I feel like I'm still accelerating too early so I'm working on slowing down my timing. Here is an updated video. please share any continued feedback you have.
PS. The chains at the end of the video was ace #2 this year :) 223 ft throwing 171g Envy. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxS0VzjSZalvdGFoR2pPTVI2NW8/edit?usp=sharing

gj1d4mw.png

Slow way down. I know it seems like the x-step is helping you, but it's not.

That screen cap tells the story. You are not getting the elbow out front, which means you aren't keeping your hand on the outside, which means you aren't taking advantage of your ability to leverage the disc.

paulBH.gif

I would go to a stand still until you are getting that timing worked out. The x-step will only make it a harder task.

1wzHZ16.png

Okay, so that's the classic issue of dragging the disc by the nose. You're going to have to fight the good-fight of guiding that back-swing into your right pec with the hand on the outside.

At that point in the screen cap, you've given up almost half of the distance around the front of the disc. Your hand has less need to accelerate to the other side, because it doesn't have to travel as far.

That's crazy, I've never noticed that but it makes sense. Thank you again! you should get paid for this :D
I'll give that some focus for a few weeks and check back.

^ That's what I said, "Going from back here to up here adds anywhere from 60-100' or more". You are also leaning way back out of balanced posture instead of turning/loading into the rear leg/hip.

1wzHZ16.png

Okay, so that's the classic issue of dragging the disc by the nose. You're going to have to fight the good-fight of guiding that back-swing into your right pec with the hand on the outside.

At that point in the screen cap, you've given up almost half of the distance around the front of the disc. Your hand has less need to accelerate to the other side, because it doesn't have to travel as far.

hmm...I might be suffering from this as well...do you mean to place the hand a little more to the right of it's existing position in the picture, as in the blue arrow I added to the picture? Thx.

Attachments

• handondisc.jpg
    handondisc.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 38
Don't want to make a thread just for this....

Sidewinder, do you train players in person? Or put on clinics? I'm just curiuos, because you really do help a lot of people on here.

And you too, HUB. :thmbup:

I have done some training sessions in person. I don't know about a clinic, I don't do well talking to a crowd. I often give advice to newer players I randomly meet on the course, only if they want it though and I'll bite my tongue.

hmm...I might be suffering from this as well...do you mean to place the hand a little more to the right of it's existing position in the picture, as in the blue arrow I added to the picture? Thx.

Yes and it stays there until you've guided the disc to the front of your right pec.

Don't want to make a thread just for this....

Sidewinder, do you train players in person? Or put on clinics? I'm just curiuos, because you really do help a lot of people on here.

And you too, HUB. :thmbup:

No - I've never taught anybody to throw in person. I originally just wanted to document my progress and actually be able to see if I was fixing anything.

I would be happy to put somebody through the torture chamber through... I have offered this super-fun-stuff to a bunch of my friends, but they are all pretty happy to avoid that kind of frustration.

"Hey who wants to do field work everyday? It'll screw up your game, you'll throw horribly, you'll curse non-stop, feel like you're doing everything wrong, you'll hate me... and then in about 4-6 weeks it'll start clicking and you'll be back to throwing as far as you were before the whole thing started!"

Crickets....

Of course, the real benefits are legit:
1. more accurate
2. more distance
3. less risk of injury
4. less tired during and after rounds
5. no more accidentally turning over discs
6. and of course the very best thing is throwing your putter past your buddies driver.

Another thing is that it's really hard to say, "look, I'm not some awesome player. I have played one sanctioned event in my life (3rd in ADV at Sakuna Matada). I play tags a few times a month, and I'm mostly just a middle of the pack guy. You should listen to what I have to say!"

Yet, I think that is the case with many coaches. Does an olympic shot-put coach have to be able to throw further than people he coaches? A coach who knows what to look for and how to help somebody get the feel for the right techniques doesn't need to be the best player in the world.

Absolutely. And the opposite is true. Some of the best players make the worst coaches/trainers. Paul McBeth has said that he can't really teach what he does. Hammer has said the same thing. They just do it.