• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 years and can't get it...

Absolutely. And the opposite is true. Some of the best players make the worst coaches/trainers. Paul McBeth has said that he can't really teach what he does. Hammer has said the same thing. They just do it.

I've always believed in "If you can't play, Coach"

I've always believed in "If you can't play, Coach"

And if you coach, don't bet on the game.

6a0115709f071f970b01347faeeae7970c.jpe

You are turning backward too early and too far and too fast which throws off the sequence and rhythm. Your left foot is completely backward to the target, so you can't push from the toes/instep like a skater/skier to make a forward move. It also prevents you from properly loading into the rear hip and allowing you get your body out of the way to create a power pocket. If your rear foot is perpendicular to the target or a little further, you can internally rotate your rear hip back/loaded against the rear leg. You also plant too open trying to shift your weight from the front, instead of from behind you and bracing yourself against the front side. So you have way too much rounding rotation in your motion instead of striding/gliding forward and loading and pivoting.

The disc is also severely nose up when you release. Keep the disc inline/level to the forearm and keep the forearm/disc parallel to the shoulders.

4O84sBA.png

Just to point out SW's points. Too early w/ the backswing.

UBOE7J2.png

Driving from your heal (your toes are off the ground). Get up on your toes.

vTk0853.png

Nose angle is off. Disc is flying up immediately.

I'll also add that you're letting your head lead your shoulders, looking where you're throwing, which is over-opening your shoulders. Keep your head perpendicular to the line your throwing on so that when you're at the hit, you've got your shoulders aimed at the target and your shoulders will come through with your head AFTER you release. Keeping your head facing perpendicular will help to fight off over-opening.

Thanks guys! Knew I could count on you :) Would you suggest I continue to focus on the standstill drives or start practicing the x-step? I'm starting to feel like my elbow is getting out there better.
oh and please continue to update your blog @hyzerunibomber it's invaluable information.

Thanks man, I will get something brewing for the blog soon. Works kicked up a bit lately, so not as much free time.

I think the cornerstone of knowing when to add the x-step is when you are honestly feeling the leverage from a stand-still. It is so much easier to get and keep the feeling of real leverage from a standstill.

You can tell when the leverage is getting there, because the feeling is completely different.

I can put myself into all the right positions w/ an x-step and NOT feel the leverage.

The best way I can describe the feeling is the wrist tightens around the right pec and there's a feeling of the disc changing directions. The disc feels heavy for a moment, like you've weighted the disc... and then it ejects with a force that's greater than you think it should be.

If you can throw a teeBird 350' from a stand-still I would wager that you're ready for an x-step.

Unless you just happen to be the most graceful dude in the world, adding an x-step will most likely remove some degree of your feel for the magic. It's just a hard movement to merge with staying balanced / upright / braced while simultaneously guiding into the power pocket and then leveraging the pooh out of the outside edge.

That's why, I believe, you see many guys who can full hit with perfect form - take a very nominal x-step. They know where the real power is coming from.