• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

55 degree water is not the same as 55 degree air

I put a disc in a pond this past March on a 50 degree day. I'm sure the water temperature was not much more than that. I only went in waist deep, but bending over scraping the bottom of the pond with my fingers; I looked for about 15 minutes. After about the first two minutes, everything goes numb. I didn't find my disc, I did however find a champion Beast.

BTW, this was the 9th hole. My round was going ok before going in the water, but when I got out, I was so numb and trying to play the next 9 holes was difficult and frustrating. On hole 10, I think I threw like 5 or 6 drives and they all sucked so bad. It was a long back 9!

In the early spring this year my brother threw his Brand New Champion Boss into the river thats flowing next to hole 10#.I was standing in the midle of the fairway when it happend.....My legs started to run and i even forgot to take my shoes of .....when i came to the middle of the river the water was almost up to my waist....After 30 seconds i had no feeling in my legs.......It was not cold..........:eek:.......................The disc is still gone but this winter i will try again to find it.

:|NEVER THROW YOUR BOSS IN TO THE RIVER:|

In the early spring this year my brother threw his Brand New Champion Boss into the river thats flowing next to hole 10#.I was standing in the midle of the fairway when it happend.....My legs started to run and i even forgot to take my shoes of .....when i came to the middle of the river the water was almost up to my waist....After 30 seconds i had no feeling in my legs.......It was not cold..........:eek:.......................The disc is still gone but this winter i will try again to find it.

:|NEVER THROW YOUR BOSS IN TO THE RIVER:|

I was searching for it in at least five minutes the an old lady told me to go up from the water so that I would not catch a cold.I searched a bit more then i went up from the water and went back home.

The day after i felt great.I did not get a cold and I have to this day been healthy as a horse.:)

The first time I played Trophy Lakes (Charleston, SC) was for a December tournament. We arrived early that morning, and walked the course just to check out the layout. Temperature was in the high 20s, with frost covering the ground.

About hole 6, a guy comes running through, playing and running to get a round in before the tournament. I thought, "That's dedication.".

We caught up with him on hole 10, where the basket has the lake nearby on 2 sides. He's stripped to his boxers, standing thigh-deep in the lake, looking for a disc. I thought, "That's dedication".

After we walked past, I heard him say, from somewhere behind me, "Looks like I'll have to dive." Then a splash. I thought, "THAT'S dedication."

A few holes later, he comes running through, soaking wet in sub-freezing temperatures, STILL PLAYING! I thought, "THAT'S dedication!"

The footnote, which we found out later, was that it was his putter he had thrown in the lake. We then understood. Though we were very glad it was him, not us.

I was a runner in high school and remember standing up to my thighs in the ice bath after a work out. It was excruciating at first then after a while everything under the water got numb. When all the feeling came back it was a little uncomfortable though. ;)

Note to self: dont throw over the water in the winter, results could be devistating.

I was a runner in high school and remember standing up to my thighs in the ice bath after a work out. It was excruciating at first then after a while everything under the water got numb. When all the feeling came back it was a little uncomfortable though. ;)

"Up to my thighs" is a tolerance threshhold. "Beyond the thighs" is much greater sacrifice.

Latest posts