• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

7 Mold/25 Disc Limit

Glad to see this thread bumped.

Let me say at the outset - I'm nowhere near succeeding...

I've been reducing my # DISCS carry this year and thought it was quite an accomplishment to get down to 18 discs / 14 molds / 4 brands....(oh, and a Rhythm arrived yesterday - so, 15 molds???).

So I look at my bag (and backups), and think about paring down the number of molds. One of the first things that occurs to me is I have to stop trying new discs, and spend more time seasoning/layering multiples of certain key discs already in by bag. In hindsight this is obvious - but it really becomes apparent when I think about layering as my priority.

The other thing is that I made a pretty big switch toward MVP this year. I dropped some DD (Breakouts), DM (CD2, MD, MD2), and RPM (Piwak, Tui, Pekapeka). But I also held on to my Mint mids (Mustang, Lobster) while also trying to keep the Hex and the Uplink.

So what I have at the moment is a whole lot of overlap:

Wave
Orbital
Crave
Rhythm
Breakout
Signal
Hex
Mustang
Lobster
Uplink
Entropy
Berg
Reko
Volt - (mine is super OS, used for headwind and utility)

My immediate plan is to eliminate the more "narrow" slots, with the expectation that I can fill in with multiples of the others:

(Keepers in BOLD)

Wave
Orbital
Crave
Rhythm
Breakout
Signal
Hex
Mustang
Lobster
Uplink
Entropy
Berg
Reko

That's still 8 - but I've hardly thrown the Rhythm. Don't know if it replaces the Crave, or if either becomes so seasoned that they eliminate the Signal.

Lastly - I'm not trying to get to an "all MVP bag" - but I'm finding that by sticking with fewer brands, I get a better idea of how discs will fly for me, because the numbers are more consistently applied, as opposed to comparing across manufacturers.

The other thing is that I made a pretty big switch toward MVP this year. I dropped some DD (Breakouts), DM (CD2, MD, MD2), and RPM (Piwak, Tui, Pekapeka). But I also held on to my Mint mids (Mustang, Lobster) while also trying to keep the Hex and the Uplink.

My immediate plan is to eliminate the more "narrow" slots, with the expectation that I can fill in with multiples of the others:

(Keepers in BOLD)

Wave
Orbital
Crave
Rhythm
Breakout
Signal
Hex
Mustang
Lobster
Uplink
Entropy
Berg
Reko

That's still 8 - but I've hardly thrown the Rhythm. Don't know if it replaces the Crave, or if either becomes so seasoned that they eliminate the Signal.

Lastly - I'm not trying to get to an "all MVP bag" - but I'm finding that by sticking with fewer brands, I get a better idea of how discs will fly for me, because the numbers are more consistently applied, as opposed to comparing across manufacturers.

Haha looks exactly like my bag with optionals... :D

I don't think the rhythm will break in to replace a signal but it will cover the same shots. I am also enamored with it it's pushing my mold limit to 9ish.. I doubt it will replace the craves unless you have those flippy hokums... but it has cut short my signal/virus love affair with a single blow. It really flies well under varying power on many varying lines. It has a decent chance of being a bag Anchor that might mess with my Relay slot. I got my backup 160 and it's flat, it's missing the gentle dome like my first 171g cct challenge one but it's flying fairly similar just with a more dumpy fade.

Uplink is now a core member of the bag. Spin still tags in but it's been limited by a light uplink much like the hex by the heavy soft uplink.... So I have about 5/6 core molds and 3/4 optionals

Last edited:
Wraith (Champion, Star, Pro)
PD (C, S, P)
Teebird (2x Champion, 2x Star, DX)
Wasp (Z for overstable duties)
Shark (Champion, Pro and DX covering Stable to fliptastic)
BB Aviar (KC Pro, Yeti, BB)
Warlock (2x SS)
puts me at 20 total...would just have backups of whatever for the final 5

Shryke 4x Star
Firebird 1x Champion
Teebird 3x Star 3x Chamion
Leopard3 1x Champion 1x Star
Roc 7x DX
Zone 1x ESP
Warlock 4x SS

Haha looks exactly like my bag with optionals... :D

I don't think the rhythm will break in to replace a signal but it will cover the same shots. I am also enamored with it it's pushing my mold limit to 9ish.. I doubt it will replace the craves unless you have those flippy hokums... but it has cut short my signal/virus love affair with a single blow. It really flies well under varying power on many varying lines. It has a decent chance of being a bag Anchor that might mess with my Relay slot. I got my backup 160 and it's flat, it's missing the gentle dome like my first 171g cct challenge one but it's flying fairly similar just with a more dumpy fade.

Uplink is now a core member of the bag. Spin still tags in but it's been limited by a light uplink much like the hex by the heavy soft uplink.... So I have about 5/6 core molds and 3/4 optionals

Thanks for your insights.

So far, my Rhythms (170g, 160g) are pretty stable: they work left throughout, then hard finish with a flare skip. Their flights remind me a lot of an FD in Luster C I used to throw.

In the Crave department, I do have a first run Hokum (173g) and a 153g Fission. They're equally flippy, which is saying something considering the weight difference.

My Signals (174g, 171g, 158g) vary in just how understable they are, with the lightest one getting to the edge of being untrustworthy. None of them finish left - and they're all susceptible to bad OAT throws.

Looking to do a bunch of filed work with all of them - to sort them out, and see how much break in I get with the Rhythms

Thanks for your insights.

So far, my Rhythms (170g, 160g) are pretty stable: they work left throughout, then hard finish with a flare skip. Their flights remind me a lot of an FD in Luster C I used to throw.

In the Crave department, I do have a first run Hokum (173g) and a 153g Fission. They're equally flippy, which is saying something considering the weight difference.

My Signals (174g, 171g, 158g) vary in just how understable they are, with the lightest one getting to the edge of being untrustworthy. None of them finish left - and they're all susceptible to bad OAT throws.

Looking to do a bunch of filed work with all of them - to sort them out, and see how much break in I get with the Rhythms
Are your Rythyms flat or Domey? My flat Rythym is more 7/5/-1/2, whilst the domey is true to the new numbers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Are your Rythyms flat or Domey? My flat Rythym is more 7/5/-1/2, whilst the domey is true to the new numbers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Flat. But now that I'm practicing and playing them, I'm sure it has more to do with arm speed. My 160 is acting much less stable than the 170. Now the 160 and the fission Crave are battling to see which one pushes the understable Signal out of the bag!

All right let's give this exercise another go

3x Nomad. 2 electron soft 1 plasma
2x A5 1 500, 1 300. (Or zones if it's winter)
4x Pathfinder/mustang: 2 royal mustang, 1 ethereal PF, 1 Glow PF (You can't tell me they're not the same mold lol)
3X Crave- 2 Max weight Fission. 1 neutron
2X Felon - FusionX , 1 Biofuzion
3X Construct- 2 ethos (167, 175) 1 ethereal (168) (maybe an Aura if the ethereal isn't flipping enough)
3X Photon. All Fission. 175, 168, 165

Havent dont this mental experiment in a while.

Hurricane x4 (Fresh Sp, beat Sp, Fresh Shasta, Beat Shasta)
Predator x3 (SP FLX beef, older Z, beat older Z)
Chameleon x2 (Fresh Armor, Beat Armor)
Gila x3 (Fresh Amber, Broken in Armor, Beat Fossil)
Iguana x2 (Fresh Proto, Beat Proto)
Wizard x3 (Stages of PW high shoulder)
Serpent x3 (1 Armor and 2 Fossil for putting)

5 discs short of the limit, but not worried about it. This is much like I used to run in 2010ish.
I would miss a few molds like my spirit and komodo. The preds cover that range and I can work some more angles on the most OS hurricane too... Armor Serpent is the best berg alternative, so that's covered. My H3s fit right between Preds and Chameleon, I used to cycle preds pretty deep so I am imagining having one beat flippier than my H3s again much like I am imagining having time to beat in an iguana already.

In lieu of a season start bag post, I should start with this template.

3x hurricane (fresh shasta 2019, worn SP, beat shasta 2019)
3x raptor (fresh big z, worn 1R, new Uli 2020 swirl Z)
2x grackle (fresh max wt nocturnal, fresh 168 sublime)
2x crave (fresh proton, worn neutron)
2x quake (worn 1R, fresh SP)
2x rift (worn Cat 1R, fresh Cat 1R)
3x pure (2 retro for putting, 1 Gold-X for throwing)

this (or predators in for raptors) is the basis for what I'm currently carrying.

This continues to be a really useful exercise for me, because it makes me think about shaping shots, rather than buying/keeping discs in the bag for one particular use.

1x Wave
3x Virus

4x Crave
2x Stig

2x Hex
2x Uplink

2x Berg
3x Reko

That's 8 molds / 19 discs total

Lessons learned:

I used to carry Waves as my primary drivers. I found that with my arm speed, I get almost the exact distance with the Virus (9) that I do with the Wave (11). Distance aside, the Virus gives me late turn, flies flatter, and it more controllable.

The one remaining Wave is a very stable one I'm currently bagging as a "security blanket" for headwinds, downhills, or when I really want a big fade. It might be replaced by a max weight Virus I just ordered. We'll see.

The biggest changes are in the Fairway Department: The Craves can do anything the Rhythms could do, and the Stig replaced the Signals. My four Craves run from a max weight Plasma down to a couple of fissions. Between them they can handle almost any shape I need, both BH and FH. The Stigs were a revelation: in addition to being that beautiful Swedish plastic, they're reliably understable to give me straight or huge turnovers - and they can be as long as anything I throw.

I cleaned out a few mids too. I can do pretty much anything with different weights and plastics of the Hex and Uplink. I eliminated the Entropy, and stopped flirting with the Mustang and Lobster (Mustang/Lobster are as good a combination and Hex/Uplink - but this exercise helped me choose, instead of carrying them all).

No change in the Putt/Approach Department that's always Berg and Reko, but I'm carrying a few more variations (like a lighter Reko for longer putts, and a stiffer Berg that isn't as beat in as my primary one).

• I'm less susceptible to ads and videos about the latest and greatest new disc
  • I'm focusing my field work on shaping with familiar molds instead of searching for some disc that magically makes the shot
  • I'm getting far more confident in throwing just a handful of molds
  • When thinking about traveling with a small bag, it's much easier to pick the fewer I'll bring. In fact, I can start with 8 molds, and ask myself which do I really think I need more than one of? Getting down to 8 or 9 total becomes much easier that way.

I don't know that I'll ever get to 7 molds, or need to bag 25, but this feels to me like a case of "it's the journey, not the destination."

Last edited:
an update from 4 years ago

Wraith x3 (OS, S, US)
Thunderbird x2 (OS, S)
Sidewinder x1
Teebird x3 (OS, S, US)
Toro x1
Reko x2 (S, US)
Berg x3 (2x Putt, 1x Approach)

That's 15 and still probably more than I actually need.

Updating from December

Katana x3
Firebird x1
Thunderbird/OLF x3
Kotuku x3
Toro x1
Reko(X) x3
Berg x2

This is not what my bag looks like currently, but it is what I am moving my bag toward becoming. Given time and plenty of rounds I will have a Thunderbird/OLF that will replace the Sidewinder in my bag, and the same will happen with my Kotukus to replace the Sveas. I have found more uses for the Firebird, but I can still get by without it if need be. I might also throw in an extra Berg in K1 soft for sticky approaches or a K3 for the same plus wet weather grip. This bag feels complete. Barring any of these molds going OOP, it should stay this way for a good long while.

Barring any of these molds going OOP, it should stay this way for a good long while.

That's a good point, and it was a consideration of mine when eliminating things like the Theory (much loved, but OOP), the Breakout (never a priority in Trilogy's production schedule) and the Mustang/Lobster pairing (small, infrequent runs).

Aviar Driver (Yeti, and JK)
Tactic (soft exo, neo)
Origin (neo, soft exo)
Cro (first run, and star)
It (g-star, Star)
Eagle-x (g-star, and star)
Mamba (g-star 150grams, Star at 155, 164, 167)

Ok. I think I can do this!
I tried to list them under to over stable. This is the bag I carry for most tournaments. I'll add a frisbee here or there. Winter is for beating in possible backups for next season.
RHBH almost exclusively. Max d 325? Golf d 300. MA 50
Putt:
2 :175 ESP Rattlers
Approach
1: 175 D Rattler
Mids
2: 176 Comet Esp/T-pro
1: 176 Esp Wasp
5: Eagles (170,175 dx-168 star, 170,175 kc pro)
175 proto Hawkeye
2: Katana (160 blizzard, 170 unsure,)
3: Destroyer (156 g-star, 2 philo)
1 Katana (170 champion)

A few changes since last time I played this game.

7/25 would be:

3 Thunderbirds
4 OLFs
3 Velas
4 Rancho Rocs
3 Toros
3 Rhynos
3 KC Aviars

Which is awfully similar to what is currently in my bag:

3 Star Thunderbirds
3 SOFs
3 Velas (1 Halo/2 Champ)
4 Rancho Rocs (Glow Champ/ 3 KCs)
2 Toros (Star/ KC)
2 Rhynos (Champ/ stiff Nexus)
2 KC Aviars

Crank , ESP x2, Z x 2

Avenger SS , ESP X 5

Predator ESP FXL x1, Z x 2

Buzz, TI, ESP x 2

Comet, TI, ESP, Z

Zone x4

Judge x2

If I had to fit within the 7/25 framework, I think the following could definitely work for me on most courses.

JK Aviar x2
Toro
Roc, DX x2, Star x1
Vela, Quantum x2
OLF, Sirius x1, Glow Q x1
Wraith, Pro x4
Destroyer, Pro x1, Star x1

7 molds is not nearly enough...guess I would do something like

2 DX Classic Aviar
2 Champ, Star Mid Disc 3
Champ, DX, Star Wombat3
2 Champ, 2 Star, 2 DX Eagle(X)