• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

9-Hole? Hole cost, etc.

matt79d

Par Member
I have been flirting with the idea of trying to open up a disc golf course on my own.. My friend is not working for a smaller up and coming city, and I assume he will be able to point me in the right direction as to who to talk to at the city. I have seen some great stuff on here about design, how to present a course to people, etc. But what I was wondering is, How likely are you to play a 9-hole course? There are a ton of courses around Phoenix,but this city is about 30-40 mins south east of phoenix. Would you rather stay close to home and play a nice 9-hole?

And I was also wondering, how much should I expect to pay per hole? Basket, tee pad, signs, etc. Thanks guys!!

Would you rather stay close to home and play a nice 9-hole?

Absolutely. I don't play much during the week because the nearest course requires a 30 minute drive. I would love to have a nearby option for a quick nine after work or even during lunch. The fact that it's only nine rather than 18 would not turn me away from the course for quick rounds. I would likely find other options for weekend play though.

Is a private course or one being planned for a public park? Are you planning to charge entry?

As far as cost per hole, this can vary widely depending upon a number of factors with each amenity.

yea im not sure monetarily speaking, but a local 9 vs. travel 18/27 is more than fine. i have a bunch of awesome courses within 45 or so minutes of me, but if a 9er was right down the road . . .

hell sometimes ill make the 20 minute drive to play mercer NJ's 9 holer...its nothing special, and drivers arent required, but its a fun mix-up. not saying your 9 holes wont be intense, but even simple ones can be fun for a change. (lucky me i have a sweet 27 right down the road:D)

The closest nice 18 hole course to my house is like 40 minutes, hence I'm trying to get a really nice dual tee 9 hole one put in 5 minutes down the road. Nothing says that a 9 hole course can't be nice, and if it has dual tee pads it is almost like 18 when you play shorts and then longs.

5000 dollars
3000 for baskets=Innova Discatchers
1000 for tees=roll of flypad is 10 dollars a foot
1000 for odds and ends signs etc=concrete, lumber, odds ends, paint

5000 dollars
3000 for baskets=Innova Discatchers
1000 for tees=roll of flypad is 10 dollars a foot
1000 for odds and ends signs etc=concrete, lumber, odds ends, paint

and that is a cheap estimate.

9 baskets can easily get close to 4,000 once you add shipping, sleeves, cement. You also have to consider the maintainence costs. replacing what gets broken, stolen, worn out.

It would be a public course, and a public park. I want to propose adding a disc golf course to the current public park. They also have 4 other lots that were going to be parks, but are on hold because they were relying on new development fees to pay for the building of the park,but since the economy is in the dumb, thats all on hold.

I dont think it would be a big deal to get it added if there were no cost to the city..

It would be a public course, and a public park. I want to propose adding a disc golf course to the current public park. They also have 4 other lots that were going to be parks, but are on hold because they were relying on new development fees to pay for the building of the park,but since the economy is in the dumb, thats all on hold.

I dont think it would be a big deal to get it added if there were no cost to the city..

You'd be surprised. I have been trying to get Rochester, NH Waste management to allow me to build a course on their extensive unused (clean) forest land but its been like pulling teeth. Even at no cost to them and a supposedly green agenda they weren't having it for one reason or another. I introduced my friend who owns 160 acres to the sport and the course will be going there (Alfred, ME) but I was astounded that a government agency would turn down free income and good publicity in this economy.

and that is a cheap estimate.

9 baskets can easily get close to 4,000 once you add shipping, sleeves, cement. You also have to consider the maintainence costs. replacing what gets broken, stolen, worn out.

..you can get 9 mach 2's or 9 discatchers for around $3000

..the other stuff (timber, concrete, sleeves, etc.) should be under $1000

...low end range, but still more than worthy

I've heard $10,000 thrown around as a baseline for an 18-hole course, but $20,000 is easy to spend if you want to make a nice 18-holer. About half that should work for a 9-hole course, so you're probably looking at 5-10k, depending on how frugal you're willing to be. Also be aware that there are plenty of courses that have "natural" earth pads, so you could defer the cost of concrete (or whatever) for the tee pads if you're on a thin budget. If you have locals willing to help you do the label, you might be able to get away with little more outlay of $ than the baskets. And you might even be able to find a deal on used baskets if you're really on a tight budget.

^ I meant to say "locals willing to help you do the labor," in case anybody was confused.

We put in a 10 hole last year for only the cost of baskets. Close to $4000, the city helped some with the clearing of some of the woods at the start. Then we got the city guys hooked on throwing and they do a ton of work out there now. We also got some convicts from the jail to come and do fairway cleaning.

We found a cement place that had scrap 4' by 4' pads and did all the signs and other stuff ourselves. We started a league to raise more money and are in the prosess of putting in alt tee's and pins right now.

It can be done for very cheap if you find hardworking people who love the sport that will help, or teach a cool city worker how to play so you can get some free taxpayer dollars and city labor.

What starts out as a dream can quickly become a beautfull course.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4109

Course Development

You'd be surprised. I have been trying to get Rochester, NH Waste management to allow me to build a course on their extensive unused (clean) forest land but its been like pulling teeth. Even at no cost to them and a supposedly green agenda they weren't having it for one reason or another. I introduced my friend who owns 160 acres to the sport and the course will be going there (Alfred, ME) but I was astounded that a government agency would turn down free income and good publicity in this economy.

Jtreadwell is right - the argument that public servants should make good use of private donations in developing recreational opportunities for their citizens is one that should have traction in these times of declining Park and Rec budgets.

Super that he found a private site - hope that the ME course is as cool as some of the others up there!

It can be a pretty political process with a public park - as many have already found. PDGA.com has some great course development resources up at the web site - including proposal templates with some great text on the game and other cool resources like Jason Sinischalski's cost/benefit analysis of disc golf.. I am willing (and able) to help advise also (we managed to get a course installed in LA after years of effort in 2006). If anyone wants my help - please contact the Course Directory editor through the PDGA.com contact page.

Cliff Towne
PDGA Course Directory

I've got a number of good courses within 30 minutes, but at least once a week, I'll play the nice 9-holer 3 minutes from my house. 45 minutes to play, including drive time, vs 2 1/2 hrs elsewhere. As to cost, something that could help is to keep your eyes and ears open for used stuff. I was able to get 4' x 12' x3/4" rubber tee pads for "my" course from a course nearby that was upgrading to concrete--free. Probably saved $1000. :thmbup:

Haven't read this whole thread, but if I had a decent (maybe even worse) 9 hole course around the corner from where I lived, I'd be there everyday for practice etc.

Location would be key!

Latest posts