• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

9 year old throws 360'

semisensei

Par Member
Came across this video on reddit today and knew it had to find its way here to DGCR. Sorry if I'm stealing your thunder, u/BradSchick7992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojP5nWcpVaM

Ty Wagonner, 9 years old, throwing some bombs!

His form is obviously quite impressive. Makes me marvel at the fact that when it comes down to it, good backhand mechanics are simple, intuitive, and natural.

Came across this video on reddit today and knew it had to find its way here to DGCR. Sorry if I'm stealing your thunder, u/BradSchick7992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojP5nWcpVaM

Ty Wagonner, 9 years old, throwing some bombs!

His form is obviously quite impressive. Makes me marvel at the fact that when it comes down to it, good backhand mechanics are simple, intuitive, and natural.

I remember him at the Peru, IN juniors tourney last fall! Didn't get to see him play other than putt in the putting contest, though.

So here's my son throwing in an empty field about 10 days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MqLUmnyX0E

Not to scrutinize, but the video from Scrutinizer looks like a much longer throw and he claims only 350' of distance vs the claimed 360' of the top video. If it came down to Scrutinizer Jr. and the Wagonner kid, I'm putting my money down on Jr. in a head to head long drive comp.

Not to scrutinize, but the video from Scrutinizer looks like a much longer throw and he claims only 350' of distance vs the claimed 360' of the top video. If it came down to Scrutinizer Jr. and the Wagonner kid, I'm putting my money down on Jr. in a head to head long drive comp.

I think he meant a 360 throw, turning his body all the way around before release, for Ty. The last throw in my little video also shows Eric doing a 360, which he figured out all on his own from watching Simon videos.

It really isn't fair to compare them. Ty is almost 3 years younger, too. A year is very very significant when it comes to youth athletics, let alone 3 years. Ty is a GREAT 9-year-old player!! He won his division last year at that Peru tournament by like 4 strokes, if memory serves. In my son's MJ-12 division, there were 4 players separated by one stroke. The winner had hit an ace, to boot. It was one of my favorite Disc Golf spectating days ever, made especially cool by such a great old Steady Ed course installed in 1978...

Eric hadn't figured out the power pocket yet at Ty's age. He did at 10, though, and all on his own. I got home from work one day and he rushed up to greet me with the news. "Dad, I figured out how to throw!" Just like that. It was with one of my first-run Star Sidewinders from a 2006 player's pack. Sadly, it was forgotten in the weeds in our neighborhood retaining pond area, and a lawnmower got it. It'll be on one of Larry LaBond's Cracked Plastic Classic trophies in the future...

Eric hadn't figured out the power pocket yet at Ty's age. He did at 10, though, and all on his own. I got home from work one day and he rushed up to greet me with the news. "Dad, I figured out how to throw!" Just like that. It was with one of my first-run Star Sidewinders from a 2006 player's pack. Sadly, it was forgotten in the weeds in our neighborhood retaining pond area, and a lawnmower got it. It'll be on one of Larry LaBond's Cracked Plastic Classic trophies in the future...

That's the way it is with kids. They can see someone else do it on the you tubes and apply it to their own bodies intuitively.

I give a lot of clinics these days and with the 10-12 year olds who have already been playing all i wind up doing is telling them to be patient , they are doing fine and keep it up. In general they have better form than I will ever teach them.

As if there wasn't already a ton of talent at the top level it's going to be crazy in about ten years. So many more young kids starting out now than ever and they'll have years and years of honing their craft.

It's pretty impressive to see some of these fifteen and sixteen year old kids already showing up on lead card coverage playing alongside some of the top pros.

That's the way it is with kids. They can see someone else do it on the you tubes and apply it to their own bodies intuitively.

I give a lot of clinics these days and with the 10-12 year olds who have already been playing all i wind up doing is telling them to be patient , they are doing fine and keep it up. In general they have better form than I will ever teach them.

It's less about them intuitively knowing what to do and more about their body being forced to throw it that way. The ratio of human size to disc size is dramatically different in kids. The weight forces them to throw a disc with their whole body rather than just an arm. You know the HUB/loopghost video where he's throwing the bench? That's what's happening when a tiny kid throws a disc. They have no other choice.

I'm in the process of introducing my 8-year-old nephew disc golf. Right now I'm not "teaching" him anything because I don't want to mess with what his body is going to naturally do correctly... and it's pretty amazing to watch.

I've actually fully changed my jump putt just based on watching him putt discs from 25 feet. It's so relatively heavy for his arm, he HAS to use his whole body to get there. His natural putt looks remarkably similar to Mcbeth's jumper... and watching and learning from him has made my putts better than ever.