• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A good southern tourney - Feb/March?

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
The past couple years I've made the trip down to the memorial, it definitely hasn't been a bad experience, but I'm looking to mix it up a bit, new courses, new experiences. And maybe not have to travel so far (so that eliminates SW events like the GCC or Any of several A tiers I see in CA)

One that caught my eye was 'The open at IDGC' Any info about this one? 2 day event? would we play all 3 courses? I love these courses, and this area for including other courses in the trip..

Recommendations? Just looking for a good time, good courses, good people to escape the mid winter cabin fever here in WI.

The tournament at Socastee Rec Park (Myrtle Beach, SC) is rumored to be in February this year instead of January. The course is within driving distance to Wilmington (Castle Hayne) and Charleston (Trophy Lakes, Sewee, Weapons Station) and a 1 day.

One that caught my eye was 'The open at IDGC' Any info about this one? 2 day event? would we play all 3 courses? I love these courses, and this area for including other courses in the trip..

Contact the PDGA. They run lots of tournaments, and the dates, formats, and details seem to change from year to year.

Speaking only for the Carolinas/Georgia, the Earlewood Classic pro weekend is the week before The Open at IDGC. Earlewood is a short old-school course, but the tournament is pretty good---before it split into separate pro/am weekends last year, it used to fill up in minutes.

You could play both, and visit us at Stoney Hill in between.

The tournament at Socastee Rec Park (Myrtle Beach, SC) is rumored to be in February this year instead of January. The course is within driving distance to Wilmington (Castle Hayne) and Charleston (Trophy Lakes, Sewee, Weapons Station) and a 1 day.

Rumor date I heard for the Myrtle Beach Invitational at Socastee Rec Park is Sat. Feb 6th. Fun Fairly challenging course- Par 63.

Will try to follow up with a confirmation/reminder once I see official date and registration info

Rumor date I heard for the Myrtle Beach Invitational at Socastee Rec Park is Sat. Feb 6th. Fun Fairly challenging course- Par 63.

Will try to follow up with a confirmation/reminder once I see official date and registration info

Glad to see your comment but depressed to see I will never catch your course count! I thought I was gaining on you this year. Hopefully you guys can come down for the Oyster Roast at Sewee. They should announce the bands hopefully at the Blue Dogs homecoming show on 12/27/15.

That's a new event. Jason wanted to make sure there was an A tier at the IDGC this year even tho it's a hall of fame classic off year. I know for sure its true amateur and that Jason usually pays out about 200% of net entries.

Pot of Gold, New Orleans, March 19. Louisiana's biggest event. PDGA B-tier this year.

The IDGC Amateur Championships were in March last year; Advanced played all three IDGC courses last year. It's a true Am, so no payout, but the player's pack is pretty awesome.

EDIT: I just looked at The Open at the IDGC and it looks like that's their new name for the Am Championships. In that case, definitely play this tournament, it's more than worth it. Advanced should play all three courses.

Last edited:
Throw down the Mountain sold out on am side in less than an hour, but there are still a few spots left in Open division for March 18 - 20th. Tourney info found at throwdownthemountain.com One of the most epic properties to play disc golf on. The property is for sale and may never be playable again once it sells. We have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to play there the last few years while the current owners hold onto it.

I've played plenty of Appalachian mountain golf and this course in FL is right up there with the best of them, elevation changes and all (former rock quarry). I can only place the private course Blackjack in Sugar Grove, NC in the same league out of the ~90 or so courses I've played.

The original course remains my favorite of all the courses I've played, with the recent incarnations very high on my list. Sad to hear that it's for sale.....it's time for the local parks department to step in and buy it for us.

There's your answer, Matt. Head from Throw Down the Mountain. A great course.....a course you may have never played.....and one you may never get another chance to play.

Plus, though it's generally spring in the lower South in March, it'll definitely be spring in Florida.

The original course remains my favorite of all the courses I've played, with the recent incarnations very high on my list. Sad to hear that it's for sale.....it's time for the local parks department to step in and buy it for us.

yeah, by the time I learned of the property it was about to close down and I just never made it over there. I was hooked on the game at that time but it was early stages of my addiction and I wasn't quite willing to drive over an hour away to play just yet. I've been kicking myself for it ever since I came to the first TDTM tourney.

Last I heard the price of the property was way up there.. somewhere between 500k - 1million.. Mike Barnett the TD knows the figure. Basically its a little steep for most local parks dept budgets. We likely need a group of disc golf friendly investors to get involved and put in a bid. If I hit the lottery, I'm buying it. :D

yeah, by the time I learned of the property it was about to close down and I just never made it over there. I was hooked on the game at that time but it was early stages of my addiction and I wasn't quite willing to drive over an hour away to play just yet. I've been kicking myself for it ever since I came to the first TDTM tourney.

Last I heard the price of the property was way up there.. somewhere between 500k - 1million.. Mike Barnett the TD knows the figure. Basically its a little steep for most local parks dept budgets. We likely need a group of disc golf friendly investors to get involved and put in a bid. If I hit the lottery, I'm buying it. :D

At one point there was some discussion of the county doing a land swap for the property but that was several years back.

Hasn't it been for sale multiple times over the years? My impression was the price was way too high in a still somewhat depressed market so it is not extremely likely to sell.

It would be awesome if dg could find a way to survive there- my inlaws live 10 minutes away.

There is a farm in KY that is having it's first event in over 10 years in April. It is called Panasea Ranch. It would definitely be worth your time to play the course if it available during your travels. Truly epic course with such holes as Coins in the Fountain and The Devils Backbone. This course is a local legend and if it was permanent it would be in the top 20.

I may have narrowed it down to the IDGC or Throw down the Mountain. I've been to the IDGC before, so I kind of know the drill there, but have no idea what the gran canyon is like. Would the dog be allowed - as in Mandabear is a spectator and she walks with the dog, and do the camping areas allow dogs? I know the IDGC would be ok with the dog, but what about Throw down the mountain?