• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] A.J. Risley 2019 WITB

Simon is well loved. And on FPO, I don't think I've ever heard a negative comment about Paige Bjerkaas.

Fair point. I was mostly commenting on how much flak every kind of personality gets but +1 for concrete examples

So Ricky is awkward, James Conrad is boring, Paul McBeth has no personality. Who is the "proto" disc golf personality everyone likes? Is Nate Sexton the only disc golfer that gets a thumbs up?

Yeah, that might be true. However I feel I get more out of Ricky and Paul Mcbeth from a technical view. Anyways I like most ITB from the pros.

IMHO about 15 minutes is good, and where the pro is explaining the discs and the type of shots he/she uses that disc for. I like videos that show the pro throwing the discs, even if that adds extra time. Some videos, including this one, might be more advertising than what the pro actually throws, and I wouldn't mind seeing that cut out and done away with.

As to whose videos are good: Paul McBeth usually makes good ITBs. Nate Sexton explains his discs well. Wysocki's second ITB this year, focusing on some discs he actually uses, was good. Paige Pierce and Madison Walker did well with their ITBs.

Is it because A.J. is with Dynamic Discs? If A.J. were sponsored by Innova or Discraft, would y'all be saying these things?
Full disclosure: I didn't watch this video. I generally don't watch in the bag segments, but sometimes I do. What I enjoy is watching somebody who makes a living at this game and has access to all the new discs pulling some old dependable disc out of the bag and thinking "oh, I remember those" or "hey, I still bag one of those, too." It's kinda entertaining to watch pro disc golfers act like a chucker and keep an old disc in the bag.

A Dynamic ITB gives none of those moments because none of their discs are very old. It all shiny new stuff and it just doesn't hold my interest. I try not to poo-poo on the threads because it's personal preference; if you like Dynamic and want to throw their stuff more power to ya'. I just generally pass. I would have passed this time, too. You asked, though.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch this video. I generally don't watch in the bag segments, but sometimes I do. What I enjoy is watching somebody who makes a living at this game and has access to all the new discs pulling some old dependable disc out of the bag and thinking "oh, I remember those" or "hey, I still bag one of those, too." It's kinda entertaining to watch pro disc golfers act like a chucker and keep an old disc in the bag.

A Dynamic ITB gives none of those moments because none of their discs are very old. It all shiny new stuff and it just doesn't hold my interest. I try not to poo-poo on the threads because it's personal preference; if you like Dynamic and want to throw their stuff more power to ya'. I just generally pass. I would have passed this time, too. You asked, though.

I did watch it. .and sure, he had some new discs. . but most of them were quite old

So Ricky is awkward, James Conrad is boring, Paul McBeth has no personality. Who is the "proto" disc golf personality everyone likes? Is Nate Sexton the only disc golfer that gets a thumbs up?

Was with Conrad at a tourney this past weekend where he hung out with all the Ams in the evening. Wasn't boring in the least. Dude can juggle, throw all sorts of discs well and was overall really cool.

I'm very surprised AJ is catching the flak he is in this thread.

He's a bit 'class clown' in his personality, but he *has* a personality. And he gets fired up and is a strong competitor when he's playing.

We should all want to see a strong personality in the pros. It would be awful if they were all so worried about the feedback in the media for saying or doing the wrong thing - we'd just get standard soundbites like we do in a lot of other sports, and that's not something I'd want to see.

I've never met A.J. in real life. I don't feel like his particular brand of humor comes across well over video/audio. This is probably why me and others find him annoying. I bet he would be fun to play a round with though! It seems like he has noticed the criticism lately and has really toned it down when he is on commentary or on video.

I watched the video, I thought it was pretty good. I think he did a good job of going over why he uses each mold and for what shots he'd use them on. He also bags a few of the less popular molds, i.e. Gobi, Mace, Bard, etc... I find his personality to be a little over the top at times, but I also find that it holds my attention. I would rather see a pro who is passionate about what they do, and brings that kind of energy, than someone who is super monotone and forgettable.

Does anyone else catch a young Greg Kinnear vibe Fromm AJ? His vocal pauses as tone are very Kinnear like.

It's a lot of discs, but looks like a pretty decent bag. Funny how people use the same discs differently.

I'd much rather play a round with Bradley Williams than A.J.

One I'd at least learn something from, the other I'd want to choke by the third hole.

One I'd at least learn something from, the other I'd want to choke by the third hole.

Without knowing your rating, I am pretty sure you could learn something from a 1015 rated golfer - if you can't that is probably on you

"...if your attitude is that only smarter people have something to teach you, your learning opportunities will be very limited."

the fact that you already know you'd hate AJ without even meeting him tells me all I need to know about you

the fact that you already know you'd hate AJ without even meeting him tells me all I need to know about you

So you're as judgmental as I am I see.:D

I was only responding to a media personality. No, I don't know him personally, and I don't know Bradley Williams either.

I find his media personality extremely off putting and that's all I have to go on, in every day life, he could be the psychopath and not Bradley. Who knows. I was responding to Hampstead and should have thought before I hit submit. My bad

If I'm not mistaken, it was B Williams who referred to himself as a psychopath. Or was it a sociopath? Can't remember. He used to post here for a minute.

I like A.J., and I like In the Bag videos, so I naturally clicked.

Yes, it's long...(after about 12 minutes, I found myself scrolling ahead to each new disc).

I particularly enjoyed his explanation about how he physically cycles through the putters in his bag, as a way to keep them all equally broken in.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I find myself looking for a few things in these ITB videos:

~ I like getting a sense of the on-camera personality (and as others have mentioned, Ricky is getting really good at it)

~ I like to see how many of the same molds someone carries (this seems like the smart way to build a bag - relying on fewer molds that you have confidence in)

~ I like to see if there are gaps in the speeds they carry (for example, Andrew Presnell's bag covers almost every speed, while Paige B's skips from her 12 speeds down to her 9 speed Getaways). I'm not sure that's there's anything to be learned here, except that as an enthusiastic rec player, I have a tendency to think I need discs that cover all speeds. I'm sure I'll grow out of this as I improve my ability to throw certain molds.

Latest posts