• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Journey to 1000 Courses - You're Invited

That is nearly 1 new course per day. Insane. Congrats to both of you. I'll get there someday :)

No disrespect or anything, but how the heck do you have the time/resources/transportation to play that many courses at a day per course? I want your job!

Martin,
I spent my Sunday on the far side of town hitting the courses I hadn't played. I managed to get in 5 courses (56 holes). I avoided the better courses and instead went to ones I knew wouldn't be busy, could be played reasonably quickly and were easily traversed with my son in a jogging stroller. I chose quantity over quality to 'check them off the list'. I'm curious to know what has dictated your courses played? Will you skip a mediocre 18 hole course if you can hit 3 9-holers in the same amount of time, even if they are not as good as the 18, just to 'run up your count'?

Tip of the hat to you sir. If you have the nack, I sencond the idea of a book.

Martin,
I spent my Sunday on the far side of town hitting the courses I hadn't played. I managed to get in 5 courses (56 holes). I avoided the better courses and instead went to ones I knew wouldn't be busy, could be played reasonably quickly and were easily traversed with my son in a jogging stroller. I chose quantity over quality to 'check them off the list'. I'm curious to know what has dictated your courses played? Will you skip a mediocre 18 hole course if you can hit 3 9-holers in the same amount of time, even if they are not as good as the 18, just to 'run up your count'?

Tip of the hat to you sir. If you have the nack, I sencond the idea of a book.

There's a few things that dictate which courses I'll play. If playing every course in an area isn't possible. In my mind, my selection process isn't neat and organized. In somewhat of an order the variables are:

Hype. If I've heard about a course through the grapevine, I'll probably play it.
Ratings. Everything 3.0ish and higher are must plays.
Distance vs Ratings. I won't go too far out of the way for a 1 disc course, maybe 15-20 miles out of the way for 2 discs, 30 to 50 for a 3 disc, 4.0 and higher I'll make destination areas.
Mood. The average day I'll spend at 3 or 4 nicer 18 hole courses, maybe playing my favorite twice, hang out with the locals, and take it pretty chill. If I'm in course bagging mode though, I might barely look up to nod and say high as I blow through the 9 holers avoiding mediocre 18+ holers knowing they'll take more time. For every bagging day I have 2 or 3 chill days.

No disrespect or anything, but how the heck do you have the time/resources/transportation to play that many courses at a day per course? I want your job!

When I'm working, either for the YMCA in MN or NOLS in WY, they both provide me with a decent paycheck as well as room and board. I spend no money, only bankroll it. When I'm on the road I live in a van, make my own meals, never pay for lodging or camping, only bills are gas, food, and disc golf.

Here is the answer Martin gave to someone else:

Anybody can do it. The key is you have to do a complete lifestyle overhaul. Lose the family ties - ditch the wife/kids, other relatives, and close friends. Lose the stable job - pick up part time work, either at a place that provides room and board, or live on the street while earning money to travel.
Lose all material items - Sell the house, boat, car, tv, x-box, microwave, etc.
Move into a van - ok, a car works too, I've survived out of a honda civic, a buick century, and a chevy nova, but much prefer the minivan.

That's about it - work every once in a while, enough to keep $ in the pocket and keep the van on the road moving to various disc golf courses.

Perhaps he should put this in his signature?

When I'm working, either for the YMCA in MN or NOLS in WY, they both provide me with a decent paycheck as well as room and board. I spend no money, only bankroll it. When I'm on the road I live in a van, make my own meals, never pay for lodging or camping, only bills are gas, food, and disc golf.

nice. after I graduate college I'd love to go on a 3 or 4 week long road trip and just play every course in my path. What you said is some serious DG love though! :clap:

Looks like I might head down with a crew of mn guys, Fri-mon playing courses there and back. There might be an empty seat if anyone is interested.

"We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there..."

Only 2.9 years playing & you're about to crest 1000 courses? DSCJNKY will be jealous haha!
P.S. Are you playing a new course every other day? Amazing!

I've been dying to get a RD in with Martin (and Forest of course) Ever since I started readin his blog over a year ago. I envy your ability to just let everything go and just enjoy life for what it is. I'm supposed to be at a WSOP Circuit event in southern Indiana that weekend but am seriously thinking about skipping it just to be a part of the epicness of playing your 1000th course with you. Either way congrats on the achievement, not just of reaching 1000 courses, but for living life the way it should be TO THE FULLEST! GL in all your travels, and life in general!

Taking off tomorrow afternoon, going to try to get in a round at wildcat tomorrow, maybe a glow round. Then make my way down to Ft Madison Sat night, and to St. Louis and back on Sunday.

Beware you are encouraged to wear blaze orange during hunting season. I assume bow season is happening right now. Maybe you need a glow shirt if you play a glow round!