• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little confused ...

xseption

Bogey Member
Many DG webpages/forum posts recommend to start with throwing putters, then mid-ranges, then fairway drivers, then distance drivers.

Given I am RHBH 99% of the time, how do I know when to change from one to another? I am currently throwing a Summit and some Wizards, about 175 g.

For example, I started to follow that advice and I was playing a fairly short 9-hole course (only one hole was 400', the rest was below 300' with many in the 200' to 250' range). When I throw a longer hole, I figure I should use more power to send it further. If I throw harder then the disc curves right instead of fading left.

Is this an indication I need to start using a mid-range disc?

Before following the advice above, I could throw around 300' using some Innova discs, yet I could barely control them. I could somewhat control a beat-in Sidewinder. I kept overthrowing my targets with a Destroyer (that sucker just flew and flew ...).

Any advice?

~ edd

I have some advise. You may not want to make a new thread for every question. There are many threads that already cover the topics you are asking about.

Now about your question above: If you can throw a Sidewinder fairly straight out to 300', you don't need to worry about throwing only putters or any of that jazz.

Use the discs you have. Throw them on different lines. Hyzers, Anhyzers, straight. Throwing only putters is no fun, especially on 400' holes. If that Sidewinder is the easiest disc for you to throw on a certain hole to park it, use that disc. Use what works best for you.

Go ahead and check out the advanced search function and dig around this site. There is TONS of great information at your fingertips. You just might have to explore a little.

Last edited:
Nobody who's given solid advice on discing down is suggesting new players play course holes with putters. They are suggesting they practice shots with them in a non-game situation to fix flaws in their form, then starting applying that improved form later when they are in a game situation.

The question that new players need to ask themselves is if they want to have fun or if they want to get better, and if they would have more fun if they got better.

Last edited:
Given I am RHBH 99% of the time, how do I know when to change from one to another? I am currently throwing a Summit and some Wizards, about 175 g.

For example, I started to follow that advice and I was playing a fairly short 9-hole course (only one hole was 400', the rest was below 300' with many in the 200' to 250' range). When I throw a longer hole, I figure I should use more power to send it further. If I throw harder then the disc curves right instead of fading left.

Is this an indication I need to start using a mid-range disc?

Any advice?

~ edd

If you are throwing a Wizard and it isn't beat up and it is going right you have some OAT* in your throw.

If you are having fun playing putter rounds keep playing them, but if you aren't having fun then it is time to disc up.

*Off Axis Torque

If you are throwing a Wizard and it isn't beat up and it is going right you have some OAT* in your throw.

If you are having fun playing putter rounds keep playing them, but if you aren't having fun then it is time to disc up.

Appreciate the advice.

~ edd

I have some advise. You may not want to make a new thread for every question. There are many threads that already cover the topics you are asking about.

BigSky:

For future reference, what search terms (that a newbie would be familiar with) would have given me a good lead on answering my initial question for this thread?

~ edd

Nobody who's given solid advice on discing down is suggesting new players play course holes with putters. They are suggesting they practice shots with them in a non-game situation to fix flaws in their form, then starting applying that improved form later when they are in a game situation.

The question that new players need to ask themselves is if they want to have fun or if they want to get better, and if they would have more fun if they got better.

Thanks for clearing up what they mean by that concept. I already have fun and I do want to get better.

~ edd

The term you're referring to is "discing down."

As for your other threads, the same applies. Search, and be happy. ;)

Will do. I did not know the term "discing down" which is prolly why I did not find what I was searching for. Thanks!

~ edd