• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for the big guns

Hyzer-flip, for sure!

Even with wind...I just switch to a more stable disc. Now that the rust is coming off, I'm starting to get 425-450' on my better drives. Improving every week...love the FLX plastic!

I can def say that I've seen Mr. Magnus hit the 425/450 range. Just last week was the latest example that his 'rust' is coming off. Hole 17 out at Burlington (Cedarrock). Whew, blew my mind. Past the pin by a solid 30ft.

I thought I was doing good that day to hit the 325 range.

I have to say - I don't have near the arm that Magnus does, but what I am finding is that if I throw a solid shot, they all tend to 'sit up, and flip just a hair'. That seems to give them a little extra glide.

I'll throw my first run champ boss for max distance on a hyzer flip line. It can be counted on for 400-450+ (this is assuming no wind of course) The best I've got from this disc was a downwind shot for about 550 on flat ground. Fast and understable is great downwind. Fast and overstable into the wind.

Last edited:
Distance is all about form not power, dissapointed in this thread. Good guy looking for honesty! I throw 500+ on command not just luckily, throw the disc flat as can be to start. A good Disc will flip totally straight-slightly understable and travel unbelivebly far. S curves can be manipulates for similiar results but about 50-100 feet shorter. I speak of pro-level performance tho...

hola
When you throw your longest on the course, are you throwing flat, s-curves, hyzerflips, etc? Lets assume that the pin is 500ft away dead straight and flat with a massively wide open fairway and no wind.
gracias
Jungle

Stable disc (Destroyer for me) Anhyzer shot with alot of air underneath it.

Accuracy is an issue, Hyzer flip.

Distance is all about form not power, dissapointed in this thread. Good guy looking for honesty! I throw 500+ on command not just luckily, throw the disc flat as can be to start. A good Disc will flip totally straight-slightly understable and travel unbelivebly far. S curves can be manipulates for similiar results but about 50-100 feet shorter. I speak of pro-level performance tho...

I get the impression that pro level performance is largely based on ability as well. Not everybody can learn to throw a 90-mph fastball. Most of us will never throw a baseball over 70mph, no matter how good our form is. The same thing could be said about 500' drives. I don't know what the difference is, but the big-armed pros have something special in their bodies (be it tendon elasticity, muscle twitchiness, or whatever) that God simply doesn't dole out to many people.

Yeah form over power for sure for consistent distance, I was touching 400ft last summer & then had a pro watch me drive & give me some pointers, he adjusted my grip (dropped the pinky to reduce drag & moved my thumb closer to the rim) and my run up (got a better rotation in my cross step, point my rear toward the target.) Both of those things led to me getting much more snap on release causing more spin which will in turn keep the disc in the air longer. I stopped throwing as hard as I did before & started throwing smarter, I now throw on average 425 with good consistency. Just yesterday I was tossing at a pin 409' away & maybe 10ft higher than the pad, passed it by about 40ft & of course missed the putt for deuce that most likely would have grab a stroke on the field.

First Run (Flat) max weight star destroyer is my disc of choice for distance & accuracy. I have a couple Bosses that I'm still learning, a good rip on the flippy one (Pre-release Mace Man stamp) & it'll turn out near 500, bad release & It'll hyzer out 400-450 not the way I wanted it to go lol.

Let's say someone throws a hzyer-flip 400 feet. At what point (distance or percentage of overall distance) does the disc turn from hyzer to flat? Also, what is the overall path/trajectory of the disc? For instance, does it go left, straight, then a bit right at the end? One more question would be which specific discs do y'all consider good for this type of throw? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen a hyzer-flip thrown.

hey skurf, gonna be different for each player and even each throw...so many variables...for me, an understable disc works best...im using a pro beast for my 400-450 "hyzer flips"...omegasupersloth, basically it's throwing a hyzer with lotsa power and snap and watching your disc go from hyzer angle to flat, and to anhyzer angle...and maybe even back to fading out left(for you righties)...the more stable the disc the less hyzer you put on it..

and hamilton he edited his post...he did have them backwards, you would hope after playing for 15 years i know what the wind is gonna do to my plastic..ha ha

nah i'm pretty sure i read it correctly...or maybe i didn't...fact is, i am a great reader of the wind and know what a disc will do in all situations..are you another arm chair discgolfer?...someone that's been playing for a year and knows all?

Let's say someone throws a hzyer-flip 400 feet. At what point (distance or percentage of overall distance) does the disc turn from hyzer to flat? Also, what is the overall path/trajectory of the disc? For instance, does it go left, straight, then a bit right at the end? One more question would be which specific discs do y'all consider good for this type of throw? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen a hyzer-flip thrown.
It depends on the disc and the player. One person might be able to get that with a Teebird so it flips to flat, holds that line for most of the flight, turns over a tad at about the 90% mark and then fades back for a really straight throw. They may also be able to do that with a different fairway driver but with exaggerated left and right movement. (This will get me about 350' with either of those discs).

Another player may be able to hit that with a flippy distance driver thrown way off to the left of the target so it flips up past flat, holds the anhyzer for a long time and then fades back little to a lot depending on the disc (basically what 80playedin10states said). This line is also my best shot at hitting 400'.

nah i'm pretty sure i read it correctly...or maybe i didn't...fact is, i am a great reader of the wind and know what a disc will do in all situations..are you another arm chair discgolfer?...someone that's been playing for a year and knows all?

getting a bit defensive? yeah i played 9 at freeman today from my armchair? seriously why would someone want to be an "armchair discgolfer"? i just pointed out the edit b/c it seemed like you were backpeddling...how could his edit have caused you misunderstanding what he said, when his edit was 2 minutes after his original post, and you posted over an hour and a half later...

ALL HAIL 80PLAYED. Gods gift to DGCR. Because how long you have been playing and how many courses you have seen is a direct link to your understanding of the game. His amazing rating of 950 ranks him as the most knowledgeable golfer of all time. Heed his words of wisdom. Respect the amazing character and class he displays whilst sitting at his computer. Although he may be 40 years old, his youth shows through in the maturity he displays for the disc golf community to see.

blah blah...everyone else sounds a bit cocky to me after playing one year, i try to help people and get bashed. it is ridiculous..and rating means NOTHING as well as the over 100 courses i have played..but in 15 years i have thousands of rounds under my belt..and THAT is a direct link to understanding the game...and regardless of how i read his post and when he edited the incorrect information doesn't mean anything. especially when i learned wind golf years ago and play it constantly..it was a pretty simple question about being an arm chair disc golfer...there are arm chair players of every sport..several on this forum

who cares about this back and forth crap... lets drop it and get back on topic.

I find that I get my best raw distance with high anhyzers... I can hyzer flip 400" occassionally but it's not a very accurate shot for me.