• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Question of Ethics

elmattarino

Par Member
So I have a friend at work that used to play, would jump in the water hazards and get discs. He did this for a couple of years and now has 250-300 discs. He is going to sell me all of them for $200. I know for a fact he did not call any phone numbers on the discs when he pulled them.

He gave me 6 champion discs for free, 1 of the 6 had a number, I called it (becuase they were free) and they guy moved states and said to keep it. The discs are mixed plastic (half champion, half dx/pro). Should I go on a calling frenzy with the discs? He hasn't pulled anything in 4+ years so it's all plastic long and forgotten by the owners. Naturally if there is a marked ace disc that will be called no matter what but should I call all of the discs that have numbers on them?

I intend to use most of the champion to work on my dying and sell to locals/DGCR/ebay while the dx/pro will probably be sold in lots of 5-10 discs.

If I got a call from some random guy 5 years after I lost a disc it would be like Christmas. The amount I am paying for each disc is minimal (less than $1) so I don't expect there to be a huge loss if I call some but on the other hand it could take quite a bit of time to return discs (assuming the phone numbers still work, etc.)

Thoughts? I'm on the fence for sure.

PS... No you can't have my friends phone number to out bid me.

Call them. Make sure your phone service has free nights or weekends. ;)

Call them. Make sure your phone service has free nights or weekends. ;)

I was even thinking of text messaging as I have unlimited data on my phone. I do have free nights/weekends so that's definately something to think about. I haven't seen how many have numbers on them but I'm assuming it will probably be 1 every 10 or 20.

Do what you want to do with them. I have always been of the belief that if you run across someone that says hey thats mine hook them up. I now I would at least appreciate the offer to get it back although I would probably tell you to keep it. Chances are most other people will tell you the same thing because after that much time plastic has changed so much an they probably dont even throw that model anymore

I dont ever put my phone numbers on my discs because I find it pointless, but I always sign them with name and pdga number so that they are noticable

Yeah, I'd call. Your chance for good karma can't get much better than that.

The fact that you even posed the question indicates that you feel uncomfortable about not calling the original owners. "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

This is a very difficult subject. Here is my take.

I clearly label every disc I throw. When I leave a disc behind I don't expect to get it back. If it's lost in the rough i'll look a long time since there is a good chance i'll find it. I have always rewarded someone who calls me with plastc or cash.

If I throw it in the water and cannot retrieve it I expect to never get it back. If someone is willing to go swinning and wading in an area I would not: they should be rewarded.

I would suggest calling the person and tell them you've purchased this disc and ask them if they'd like to buy it back for a few bucks. If it's a disc someone really wants back they will paya few bucks.

Earlier this summer I left my favorite roller disc on the course. I'm hoping to get a call but it's not looking likely. I would pay $20 to get that disc back.

You will hear everybody here say to call them.

No way...let them suffer...if they wanted those discs bad enough, they would've striped down and gotten a little wet!

keep 'em! Maybe even cover a ceiling in your man's room with 'em!

:: sorry, had to play devil's advocate....my wife LOVES when I do this::

I assume the discs were pulled from local courses? If so, here's what I'd do:

Buy the discs and make an inventory list of them. If they have any sort of markings including phone numbers, note this on the list. When completed, post your inventory list up on local disc golf forums, perhaps print off some paper copies and hand them to other players at the courses where they were found.

Oh, and this is most important: At the end of the list don't forget to the mention your friend who hoarded the discs for two years to make this extensive collection possible. In fact, include his home address, e-mail and phone number so people can send him their thanks.
;) :p

Then sell the unmarked/unclaimed discs on eBay and get your money back.

You have to follow your conscience. The fact that you are conflicted about it indicates that your conscience is telling you to call. Do that and you won't have any regrets.

Buy the discs and make an inventory list of them. If they have any sort of markings including phone numbers, note this on the list. When completed, post your inventory list up on local disc golf forums, perhaps print off some paper copies and hand them to other players at the courses where they were found.

I couldn't disagree more with this suggestion. I just think this is like baiting D-Bags. I can see some jerk calling you up to get "their" discs back form you for a small fee, or free. "Uhhh, yeah, my number used to be 555-3456, but it, uhhh, changed since then."

anyway, as Digital Underground once said so wisely,
Do What'cha Like.

I'd definitely call, but it's ethically okay to ask them for a little money in exchange. After all, you did buy them from someone (even if it was for less than $1 apiece), and it'll cost to ship it to them.

If you decide not to charge, then props to ya for being such a great guy.

It also sounded like you were against returning the discs because it would take a great amount of time. You could just call 3 numbers a week or something, and it wouldn't take up a huge chunk of time at once. And the odds are good that there are more than many discs have the same number on them. (if someone throws it in the water once and didn't get it out, odds are good they'll do it again).

Latest posts