• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace pot when playing dubz?

If you hit an ace in a doubles round, do you:

• Keep the money

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Split the money

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Whatever is agreed on before the round

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters
do you share it if your partner didnt put into the ace pot?

what about that player that puts in once in a while but you put in every week?

Interesting questions...

1. If they didn't buy into the ace pool then "No".

2. That's just the way it goes. Anyone could show up any week without ever having putting money in and win it all... so "YES", I would split.

DSCJNKY

You should always establish your preference before playing, and your stance should never change.

It's akin to chopping the blinds in a cash game - you either do or you don't - no changing your mind based on the circumstances.

Over the past couple of years, I played several times in the same foursome with a guy who based his decision to split with his partner based on who the partner was. He usually said no (when his partner wasn't any better then he was), but one week he got paired up with a highly rated player and he said he would split. Real d-bag move IMO.

I always split, I always chop - good karma.

if you hit an ace playing dubz do you split the pot with your partner or keep it for yourself? i say keep it for yourself since you hit the ace.

Your not using YOUR shot the entire round so i say split it..now if your partner sucks and you use your shot the entire round, ITS YOURS!!

Your not using YOUR shot the entire round so i say split it..now if your partner sucks and you use your shot the entire round, ITS YOURS!!

So there's a guy from So-Cal whose name has a DB in it... (y'all from So-Cal might be able to figure it out).

The first time I played with him, and the rest of the Sylmar locals (I had only been playing for a few months), it was random dubs. We all flip and I get DB.

On the first hole I throw my drive 18' off the basket... I go up and miss the putt. Oops. DB makes the putt... turns around and says to me, "If we use my shots the whole round and win, I get to keep all the cash".

We didn't use another one of DB's shots the entire round. We shot a -6 on the front 9 at Sylmar (old course) and tied Steve and JR Rico.

There was no "ace" in this story... just replying to what Howard said about keeping all the cash if your partner is a noob.

I might like DB a lot better to this day (10 years worth of animosity) had he just been cool. Split the cash with your partner regardless.

DSCJNKY

My partner "The Condor" ripped a beautiful Ace on #7 at Richmond Hill (in the short). He threw first. I threw next & did not Ace. He did not split the money with me nor did I expect him to. But I would've gladly accepted the gift if offered.
I have to admit that when he first hit it, I was overly excited, like I was going to be splitting the cash with him. But later realised he had no reason to give me money for his Ace. It was a bit of a let-down but that feeling went away pretty quickly as Envy is one of the 7 deadly sins.

its funny to read some peoples responses on this discussion. i personally wont take the cash for my partners ace cause i didnt hit it but thats me. i dont play disc to make money. i will split it though if it has been talked about before hand or thats how things are run in the area. there is no real rule on how splitting an ace pot should go.
I would not want to take any of the cash or glory of an ace away from anyone. Aces are a rare thing unless you are Cubby. I would want to see my partner with the hole pot in his hands and his eyes light up, and him have a good memory of the day, feeling, high, etc. I would not even let him buy me a beer. I would buy him one. Aces are something that you should not try to crowd in on. Let them have it, they deserve it.

Locally the pot is only split if players agreed to split at the beginning of the round. I usually make the offer and if my partner wants to split or not I'm good either way. I think I've hit 4 doubles aces - 2 splits and 2 not. I've been the partner on 3 and one we agreed to split beforehand. It was that way when I started playing (5 years) and same approach is still followed.

At State doubles last week, my partner and I agreed to split everything for the weekend. Aces, CTP prizes (if it could be split - in this case it was a pie from a local bakery - amazing btw), even our raffle tickets were pooled together. Alas, we didnt ace or get the CTP (I got beat by 1/4" - really) but we had a decent haul at the raffle and easily came to terms with who got what. Payout was already split, so that wasn't a problem.

$$ & low score in one throw!

You have to split.

If I park my drive first and that gives you the opportunity to run the ace no-holds-barred... you have to split the ace if you get it.

Even if I didn't park my drive and my partner aced, there should be a split. Because the agreement had already been made (or should just be understood) that what's good for one is good for the other. It's a teamwork thing.

DSCJNKY
I love your way of thinking but I've not seen it done that way myself (yet).
Example: What if I shank my drive out into the woods on the first throw & then my partner hits an Ace. How did I help my partner?
If I were to play doubles with Avery Jenkins, I expect he would throw better than me (on every hole!). Now since he is 'parking' everything, if I hit an Ace, I would feel obligated to kick down some $$ to him, for sure. Otherwise he's basically carrying me around with him on his awesome round of golf.
When playing doubles:
Ace: the thrower gets the cash. The partner gets the strokes!

We unofficially split it 80% / 20% in these parts....I agree that you can contribute to an ace by parking the hole or just being a good partner, but i dont think this justifies getting half of the proceeds.

To me the ace pot wager is independant of the doubles round, and if my partner wanted to keep all of the pot i'd be fine with it.

Whats important is that the split (or lack thereof) is established before the round or things may get ugly.

I think we need a poll. Everyone splits it around these parts.
no poll please as we dont need another useless thread started about another thread. from reading all this it seems like a split though. It all depends on your region i guess.

Keep the cash since your partner didnt throw it in.

Cubby really? he is a great guy but those arent aces.

Wow ACE pots at 300$,I want to play you guys.

it builds up every week but we cap it off at 300$ and start a new pot until someone hits the first. we play random flip doubles every tuesday at 6pm. and its 5$ a person. that 5$ includes a dollar for the ace pot. so say i get up to the tee and ace it. i paid my 5 bucks upon entry and so did my partner. so if he wants to split it he has the eqaul opportunity to get up there and ace it too .right?

If I were to play doubles with Avery Jenkins, I expect he would throw better than me (on every hole!). Now since he is 'parking' everything, if I hit an Ace, I would feel obligated to kick down some $$ to him, for sure.

But, if you were playing doubles with Avery Jenkins... you should be throwing first off the tee every hole for strategy reasons. So technically, that should never happen.
DSCJNKY

But, if you were playing doubles with Avery Jenkins... you should be throwing first off the tee every hole for strategy reasons. So technically, that should never happen.
DSCJNKY

Avery: DiscChainBasket18, i'm a little nervous on this hole, how bout i play it safe and you make a run at it.

DiscChainBasket18: Avery, you're a smart man, no wonder you're a world class player. throw a little skip hyzer over there. if you get it within 10 feet, your putting range (don't worry, i got your back if you miss another gimme), i'll give it an ace run.

Avery: Sure am glad i got you, are will still doing splitsies if we win dubs even though we use all of your shots?

DiscChainBasket18: :thmbdown: