• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ace Race 2010-Discraft Hornet

I know there was someone ahead of me with 2 aces 5 metals, you with 3 and 1, and apparently someone came in right near the end with 3 and 2.

If you're talking about the Jericho Lake Ace Race here are the results.

51 players came out to answer the challenge in this year's Ace Race at Aurora. It was a VERY close finish, but Brian Cantrell aced with his last throw of the day to take the grand prize with 3 Aces and 2 Metals. He narrowly defeated Vince Cannuta who had 3 aces, 1 metal.

For the 51 players, a total of 25 aces were hit. 2 people had 3 aces, 4 people had 2 aces, and 11 people had one ace. Congrats to Karen Jackson for being the first person to hit an ace for the day.

If anyone wonders: nobody wound up acing the mini basket shot. Case Jackson came the closest smashing chains but the mini disc bounced out.

I still have about 60 player packs left - if you are interested in picking up a set for $25, just let me know!

We WILL be trying to run another ace race event - probably at a course further north in Illinois, in October. Watch for details!!

Is it a mini ultrastar?

This ain't no J-Star....or "J-Stizz" as the cool kids say. It happens to be in the bag and used a lot at my new local course and is WAY better for golf than a Ultrastar. I also throw the Rattler so might be a little biased to lids lately.

IDK about everyone else but my friend has one which he BOMBS and I am liking it as well. It reminds me of a Storm with more stability.....174g and "good Wasp" stability but faster. I wish they would release the Storm mold masked in the Ace Race but so far this seems pretty decent initially.

51 players came out to answer the challenge in this year's Ace Race at Aurora. It was a VERY close finish, but Brian Cantrell aced with his last throw of the day to take the grand prize with 3 Aces and 2 Metals. He narrowly defeated Vince Cannuta who had 3 aces, 1 metal.

For the 51 players, a total of 25 aces were hit. 2 people had 3 aces, 4 people had 2 aces, and 11 people had one ace. Congrats to Karen Jackson for being the first person to hit an ace for the day.

If anyone wonders: nobody wound up acing the mini basket shot. Case Jackson came the closest smashing chains but the mini disc bounced out.

I still have about 60 player packs left - if you are interested in picking up a set for $25, just let me know!

We WILL be trying to run another ace race event - probably at a course further north in Illinois, in October. Watch for details!!

When I talked to Scott, he was thinking about Buffalo Grove as a possibility for an October Ace Race, he can run another event as long as he orders an additional 15 players' packs from Discraft.

51 players came out to answer the challenge in this year's Ace Race at Aurora. It was a VERY close finish, but Brian Cantrell aced with his last throw of the day to take the grand prize with 3 Aces and 2 Metals. He narrowly defeated Vince Cannata who had 3 aces, 1 metal.
wowwwwwwwwwww, the last throw. :(:doh:

I just won the Oroville Ace Race with a 150g! 2 Aces, 1 metal! The light ones are not stable.

I just won the Oroville Ace Race with a 150g! 2 Aces, 1 metal! The light ones are not stable.

Odd, what color was your 150 class? A league mate and I both grabbed Orange 150 class and found them rather stable, definitely in the middle of a Buzzz and Drone. I also picked up a Yellow 176. The stability was nearly identical. The only difference you could tell out of the two weights was that the Orange 150ish had a slightly better glide and the Yellow 176 had a tad more LSS. I could not get them to flip, took quite a bit to get them to turn when flat, and if I did not give them enough power, they would stall out of a high anhyzer line.

The majority of the baskets we were going at were 200 feet. None of them were approaches because we had plenty of obstacles to throw through, so we got a lot of testing today into how they hold certain lines at considerable power. Of my two, they held my intended lines rather well once I got used to the disc, but I could not throw them level and get them to fly straight for long.

Once they become approved, I got a slot waiting in the bag between the Star San Marino Roc and the Z Drone. For straight on shots, drives, and mild hyzers, I will stick with the Roc, but for shaping lines where I need stability, I see myself breaking out the Orange 150g quite frequently.

It was an orange 145-150. I was barely tossing it and it still pulled right on me. Very sensitive to nose angle and hyzer angle.

It was an orange 145-150. I was barely tossing it and it still pulled right on me. Very sensitive to nose angle and hyzer angle.

Then that is incredibly odd and makes me wonder if there is a completely different process for molding/ cooling/ etc etc for plus and minus 150 class discs.

We had five people in our group, three RHBH throwers and two predominantly RHFH throwers. Every throw seemed to be stable to overstable. Outside of human error, I do not remember seeing them doing anything odd or stupid.

I have 380-400 foot power, so I did not need to crank these prototypes on every throw. The other person in our group who got a mid 150s Orange disc has about 360-380 power. Of the five of us, he was consistently the nearest to getting aces (none of us got anything today). Mine did not seem to be nose sensitive, but more so snap sensitive. If they did not get enough snap, then they were definitely more stable. Like I said earlier, they did fairly well holding lines, but I had a tough time getting them to fly straight when thrown level and really had to get in to them to turn when thrown flat.

I really liked them so I see myself heading out to a few closer courses in the upcoming weeks and seeing if everything I witnessed today holds true after they have been beaten in a little.

I was in the same group as Scott, one of the RHFH players. Liked the disc a lot, it seemed to behave pretty well on a FH when I gave it a good release (not great at FH a mid the bit of a bead throws me off) but I really liked the disc, It has a place in my bag, replacing my ESP buzz that is pretty overstable, and leaving my nice neutral crystal Z buzzz.

I didn't throw my other disc (175-176, white). Almost everybody else was using the heavier white discs, and those seemed a lot more stable from what I saw. I seriously doubt they have a different molding process for the lighter ones, but mine was less stable for sure.

I didn't throw my other disc (175-176, white). Almost everybody else was using the heavier white discs, and those seemed a lot more stable from what I saw. I seriously doubt they have a different molding process for the lighter ones, but mine was less stable for sure.

I am looking at a sub 150g on Ebay to see if there is something about that threshold. I grabbed the two different weights actually hoping there would be a wider variance in stability. I was thinking that whenever I wanted more of a right turn, since my forehand sucks, I would go light, and when I needed a stronger finish I would go heavy.

I played the first 12 holes with the light, the second 12 with the heavy, and determined that they were so close that it would be no big deal for me to leave the heavy in the car and finish the remaining two rounds with the light.

Honestly, if I did not know that it was a 150 class, there is no way I would have figured that out by the way it flies. I am considering finding a scale just to see if it was mismarked.

I am considering finding a scale just to see if it was mismarked.

Worth checking, our TD had a scale so you could pick out exactly the weights you wanted, and there were some that were pretty far off from what they were marked (up to 10g that I heard about).

I finally got my discs and I really like them so far. I got a max weight and a mid 160's. Earlier, I was helping the TD of the Ace Race in my area set up the course, and he asked me to throw some shots to see what to expect for the design of the course. The course is really short, so I didn't have to put much power in the throws at all, but I did notice quite a bit of LSS.

I think this disc make a good FH disc, because the first throw I made with it FH was an ace! Too bad it wasn't during the Ace Race :(, I hope I do well tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Just played the Ace Race at South Mountain in Bethlehem, PA this morning. Grabbed a 168 Yellow and a 175 Pink; the weights were enough for a difference I thought. The lower weight turned over with less effort for me, which indicated to me that it was more Buzzz-ish than anything else. That's a personal opinion, though. It's literally a Buzzz with a trapezoidal dome--not a completely rounded top. The heavier one was good for hyzer shot and forehand shots. Didn't shoot well forehand like jongoff09 (but congrats on the Ace, bud!). I think it will find a place in my bag for the following: get out of jail shots needing stability, meathooks suited for more than a Buzzz, and controlled midrange cranks (borderline fairway driver).

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents as I enjoyed reading up on the disc before our local event. Alberta DGA put on an event in Canmore with over 100 participants up in the mountains. The weather reached 25C on Oct 2, quite a bit above the norm for here this time of year. Most of the discs supplied for the event were pink with a minor spread of orange, white and yellow. I had a heavier pink a few grams under max and a mid sixties orange.

With the speed of this disc, it really seemed to want to be given a bit more torque to fly straight than the distance of an ace race would allow for. Not many straight lines were attempted on this day in our flight (10 guys) as an overthrow usually put you into the back of the flight playing the hole in front. I was throwing a mini flex shot to counter the fade at first with decent results and a lot of the guys were just flicking out hyzers. By the end of the day I found myself mostly hyzering as well with my first attempt in doing so producing my only ace of the day. The co-leaders had 2 aces and four metals each at the end of the day.

After the tourney, I played out my 180 star SM Roc against the heavier proto and found in my hands that - while the Roc was slower in getting there - my distance was consistently the same. The proto seemed to enter the fade portion sooner and glide out more than the Roc, which held an anny line longer before curling back and falling out of the sky. In the end, the proto wasn't enough for me to consider changing something that works, but it certainly isn't a dog. The proto can hold the torque of forehand better than other mids a friend has thrown and he's already added his and my heavier proto to his arsenal.

Kelly.

Latest posts