• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Trophy, award, bag patch?

I almost lost my first ace disc so I decided to retire it, and then when I almost lost another ace disc I decided I would retire all of them (~10 at this point). I have more plastic than I know what to do with, so retiring one disc gives me a reason to take a new one out of the stash. Of course I have only had one ace in the last five years :(

So retire that baby and buy yourself a new disc as your reward to yourself for the ace!

I never understood the need to retire the disc or to mark up the basket or tee sign. I hit my first ace, grabbed it out of the basket and kept playing. I lost the disc long ago. Never once felt the need to have a witness sign a disc and never expected to get paid $5. Only time I care about an ace is if there's an ace fund. But, different strokes and all that jazz.

If I retired every disc after it got an ace, I wouldn't have a Z Buzzz with ten aces on it.

I do tend to baby my ace discs though. My first ace disc, a 168g 1.1 Sirius Orion LF, has a special spot on my wall, but it gets out regularly, I even took it with me to Highbridge. I only throw it in low-to-no risk scenarios though.

Last edited:
We of my circle retire the disc after having it signed . We note the date, course and hole in sharpie on the disc.
Be excited, then throw another one

Meggido in Pekin Illinois just got new tee signs for the Ledgestone. On each sign, there are blank areas to sign if you get an ace. The troubling this is, the course has several dinker holes that anyone can ace. The one PP aced on film had 6 aces in 4 days. Once the sign fills up, I'm sure kids will start signing anywhere on the sign. The blank ace spots seem like a good idea to curb tagging, but we really should be discouraging it all together.

I retire my discs with ace number, date, hole, and witness sigs. I enjoy having the variety of discs I've aced with all together on the shelf.

I couldn't bring myself to retire a disc at the peak of its career.

I'd be afraid the rest of my discs would start deliberately kicking themselves off baskets, just so they could continue to do what they love most---fly.

Actually, I mark the bottom of the disc with the date, course & hole #, and continue on. I enjoy the reminder when I'm preparing to throw, and notice the inscription. I may be a little reluctant to lose those discs---contemplating throwing something else on loss-prone holes---but in fact I've lost a few of them anyway.

I retired my first 25 aces to the wall. One of them was a borrowed disc and the guy I borrowed it from was not too pleased with the disc I gave him in return.

The blank ace spots seem like a good idea to curb tagging, but we really should be discouraging it all together.
:doh: This seems so ridiculous to me. If you really need to announce that you got an ace, create a course-specific web page where people can go brag. Put the link to the web page on the sign, or even a QR code, and let people put their brags up there. Encouraging them to sign a tee sign seems like complete counter-logic to discouraging tagging.

I think you should have your frisbees taken away from you and be forced to play with only an Epic if you tag ANYTHING on the course. /oldman

I retired my first 25 aces to the wall. One of them was a borrowed disc and the guy I borrowed it from was not too pleased with the disc I gave him in return.

i have always played under the assumption that if i let you borrow a disc and you ace with it, its yours. You earned it.

i have always played under the assumption that if i let you borrow a disc and you ace with it, its yours. You earned it.

If somebody has a disc that I want to try out and I happen to hit an ace with it, I wouldn't expect them to give me their disc. I might offer to buy it, but there's no way I'd expect to keep it.

My buddy hit one yesterday, he retires his ace discs with a witness sig, hole, length, and date written on ace discs. I usually don't do any of that. It seems like a waste to give up on a perfectly good disc, but to each there own. Making a spread sheet with all the appropriate information seems like a decent idea of how to pay homage to your aces

I have two aces under my belt both came this year, 13 days apart, with the same disc! The cherry popper was even on my Birthday :clap: !

My nicely seasoned 165 GL Striker grabbed them both, just imagine if it would have gotten retired....that second ace might not would have happened! This disc is too good to take from the bag and I use it every round I play :D.

I just took pics of them and posted 'em in the 2015 Aces thread :hfive:!

Well I haven't been able to find a replacement for it and I know this is gonna be hard to believe but I aced again with the same disc at a different course today in my first tournament, best part is there was an Ace fund and I won $54! 2 Aces in 5 days, unreal!!!!

That's awesome! :thmbup: Congrats! :clap:

Congrats Steve!
I write down the date, course/hole info on the disc and add it to my "Ace collection" which consists of a single disc.

I have lost more than one disc with multiple aces. I have little sentimental attachment to my discs

All I've ever done is get high fives from whomever is in my group and then go on.

Well I haven't been able to find a replacement for it and I know this is gonna be hard to believe but I aced again with the same disc at a different course today in my first tournament, best part is there was an Ace fund and I won $54! 2 Aces in 5 days, unreal!!!!

Nice job! Enjoy it, sometimes it can be a long time between aces.

This is what I do. I write on the face of the disc the course, hole #, and distance and have witnesses sign the back. I'll continue to use it until I have a replacement, and then it's retired.

Given that I've only had 4 aces in my 12ish years of playing makes it easy to retire the few discs that I do throw in from the tee.

this.