• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Added 150' to my forehand today

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Not posting for any particular reason than I just wanted to tell someone that might share a bit of the excitement that I feel today! If you don't like a little humble brag - a thread that says 'look what I can do' please move on.

I've been working on it with my dog - what an awesome practice mechanism btw, an automatic retrieval system that will not wear out before I do. But I haven't really been seen much improvement.

My forehand has never even been a consideration in my game - Ok, Oak Island hole 9 is a forehand hole for me, or at least as consistent as my LHBH on it, but that has been about max, about 175' downhill. Or on my best day, being yesterday, I may have been pushing 200'.

Then today, it just clicked. I have to tips or secrets to share that got me there, all of a sudden it was like boom, the surge I was throwing for Aspen rocketed out and cleared the river bank, about 250' from the concrete slab that I throw from. So the next throw I changed my angle, not wanting to throw it in the river, towards the row of cabins 320' away. Again the damn thing rocketed out like I've never seen before out of my hand, it hit the step in front of one of the cabins, easily had another 20' in it.

I walked around for the next hour launching forehand bombs for the dog, some of them had to have been even farther, easily approaching 350'.

Never before have I even considered throwing forehand, now I can't wait to get out there and throw more, I think this might be good for my game.

It's like a super power I never realized I had, an ability that was harnessed deep within and it just exploded out today. I might be a bit sore tomorrow, but it's worth it :D.

Thanks for reading.

That's a huge gain! Good job in making it click. Now just don't forget about it tomorrow. :)

I've been trying to encorporate the forehand shot into my game - this helps me realize that I didn't really design any forehand shots into bald eagle. I played a few forehand only rounds, and some majority forehand rounds, forcing shots on holes that are not forehand friendly. I think this is definitely useful, learning how to manipulate the shot, but got a little frustrating when things weren't quite working how I imagined.

Golden eagle on the other hand has some shots that are much more forehand friendly and I played a round out there today with Critter. Hole 3 off the tee I threw a decent, nearly perfect shot that got knocked down a little early, then I threw a perfect forehand upshot on hole 4, and straight up parked hole 6(short tee) unlike any shot I've ever had on that hole, and over shot hole 8 draining the come back putt for our only star bird. I couldn't contain myself, I had to explain to him that this wasn't 'normal' for me, or maybe my new 'normal' 4 days ago I would have never even considered that shot on any of those holes, and now it's working! It's really working on the course :-D

In my head it's the grip. I focus on the grip, visualize the line, and the practice has allowed me to increase my arm speed without losing control.

I was actually going to ask you what grip you were using! Also details on run up/plant foot/follow through would be great. Have you changed anything at all, or did the motion just click for you?

I guess the grip I'm using is quite unconventional - I had tried forked grip, or the two finger grip, they never quite did it for me. I changed it to this one finger on the rim, and quite a bit of pressure between my thumb and middle finger pinch point, when I release my thumb snaps to the middle knuckle on my middle finger, that's the only spot that gets a little sore. I'm using no run up, just a stand still, my plant foot about 45 degrees towards the target, and snap - I feel the whipping motion in my arm and a little snap in the wrist. I realize that this is not "right" and I have a lot to learn yet, but it's so exciting to be getting somewhere with this forehand thing :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• fh1.jpg
    fh1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 13239033_10154236286521458_4774266591424342746_n.jpg
    13239033_10154236286521458_4774266591424342746_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 234
I guess the grip I'm using is quite unconventional - I had tried forked grip, or the two finger grip, they never quite did it for me. I changed it to this one finger on the rim, and quite a bit of pressure between my thumb and middle finger pinch point, when I release my thumb snaps to the middle knuckle on my middle finger, that's the only spot that gets a little sore. I'm using no run up, just a stand still, my plant foot about 45 degrees towards the target, and snap - I feel the whipping motion in my arm and a little snap in the wrist. I realize that this is not "right" and I have a lot to learn yet, but it's so exciting to be getting somewhere with this forehand thing :)
You are half way to the split power grip which I use, but your thumb is too far away from the rim and middle finger not extended under the rim. The thumb pad should be pressing into/against the inner edge of the rim/ where flight plate meets rim, just like a BH grip. Moving your thumb more forward and closer to the edge should make more comfortable to get the middle finger under it for more power/control and probably cleaner release.

Check the last pics:
http://www.averyjenkins.net/disc-golf-grips/

You are half way to the split power grip which I use, but your thumb is too far away from the rim and middle finger not extended under the rim. The thumb pad should be pressing into/against the inner edge of the rim/ where flight plate meets rim, just like a BH grip. Moving your thumb more forward and closer to the edge should make more comfortable to get the middle finger under it for more power/control and probably cleaner release.

Check the last pics:

Ok, I think I can feel how that might feel pretty comfortable, I might test it out a little tomorrow.

I have a one finger forehand grip as well. I have tried two finger grips, but it always comes out floppy (OAT). The one finger grip gets me nice spin, just have to watch the wrist roll. And my index finger is pretty sore after 3 forehand holes in a row.

Check the last pics:

Your grip sounds like what I've been using for years but I stick to the single finger extended in the rim. I did two finger stack for my first couple years but this offers a cleaner release and more accuracy in my opinion. I'm giving up a little on power with the single finger but am still getting 350'. I'm about 95% forehand off the tee so the single finger gets a workout.

I started RHFH about 8 week ago, the other day I measured one of my throws at just under 400 feet. This was with adding steps, which I just started about 2 weeks ago. With practice how much more distance can I get?
There's a par 4 at this one course I'd really like to park it near the basket..or within 60 to 100 feet.
Also, I check out the farthest throws on UDISC, are these for real?! Some are over 700 feet! That's huge!
Are some of these rollers or what?

For flicking I like the Flick, Destroyer & Katana. What are some other disc I should get?

For flicking I like the Flick, Destroyer & Katana. What are some other disc I should get?

Don't forget some less overstable stuff, though you might need to use some hyzerflip action. I like to flick a Katana as well, but it's gaining a reputation for being one of my most inconsistent discs. I throw a heavy Z Crank that is more consistent (in terms of turn) and almost as long. One of my favorites for forehand has always been a way used Z Predator. I hear a PD is somewhat similar to beat preds? Also, don't forget to flick your Teebirds, if you have any. And get a Zone for FH upshots or short tee shots. They rock.

Don't forget some less overstable stuff, though you might need to use some hyzerflip action. I like to flick a Katana as well, but it's gaining a reputation for being one of my most inconsistent discs. I throw a heavy Z Crank that is more consistent (in terms of turn) and almost as long. One of my favorites for forehand has always been a way used Z Predator. I hear a PD is somewhat similar to beat preds? Also, don't forget to flick your Teebirds, if you have any. And get a Zone for FH upshots or short tee shots. They rock.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into those disc's you mentioned.
And I have a Teebird in DX & one in G Star plastic..I just started recently flicking them..it's been good for me thus far.