• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on Kid's Discs

Praetorian

Bogey Member
Hi guys,

Back golfing after a short haitus, and now my 8 year-old son is digging the disc golfing life. :thmbup: He goes out with me pretty much every weekend to Morley Field. Here's what's in his bag:

Pic145redo.jpg

(Top row) Champion Valkyrie 170gm, Cheetah 175 gm, Valkyrie 150gm

(Middle row) Dragon 150gm, Shark 150gm, Wolf 171gm

(Bottom row) Cobra 175gm, Aviar 150gm, Birdie 175gm

Do you think this is a decent kid's bag? Is it missing something? Is there something that should be taken out?

BTW, I gave him the Champion 'cause I didn't use it much....

Looks great. Seems to be a lot of variety for a kid but I'm sure he has a couple he uses most. I like the 150 shark for my kids. Once they get good at that then we add more discs as they get into it. I really like the 150 Valkyrie when they start to get some snap.

nice beginner set!!! putter, shark mid, with some understable drivers (one that floats!!! just in case)

i like it.:thmbup:

plus, none of the drivers are way overstable, which i think is the problem with a lot of beginners, no matter the age. If you're learning the sport, you MUST start out slow and understable, or you're just asking for problems.

Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah, he does prolly have too many discs, but some were given to him, and he uses Dragon, Valk and Shark a lot. Basically told him to pare down his discs when he goes golfing to 4-5 discs, as all of them in a bag gets too heavy for him to carry. He thoroughly enjoys this sport!

Here's a pic of the tyke on hole 16 at Morley:

beansdg.jpg

Hi guys,

Back golfing after a short haitus, and now my 8 year-old son is digging the disc golfing life. :thmbup: He goes out with me pretty much every weekend to Morley Field. Here's what's in his bag:

Pic145redo.jpg

(Top row) Champion Valkyrie 170gm , Cheetah 175 gm these are heavy for a 10 year old, Valkyrie 150gm This is a good one

(Middle row) Dragon 150gm, Shark 150gm, Wolf 171gm All good, maybe slightly lighter on the wolf.

(Bottom row) Cobra 175gm, Aviar 150gm, Birdie 175gm

Do you think this is a decent kid's bag? Is it missing something? Is there something that should be taken out?

BTW, I gave him the Champion 'cause I didn't use it much....

In my kids bags at school I use nearly all ultralights (under 150).
I have 150 eagles, 120 Rocs, 150 Leopards (EXCELLENT KIDS DISC), 150 Sharks, and a crap load of quest plastic (t bones, rock-its, infernos)

+1 to all the Leopard suggestions.

My son got a DX Banshee (I think it was about 160 g), and while it was a meathook for him, he was well aware of this and would use it with extreme hyzer to get around a solitary tree blocking his route, but he would avoid it if there was rough to the left (yeah, he's RHBH) and opt for his Leopard...pretty cool to see a 9-year-old selecting discs properly! Now if I could just get him to focus more on his putts--and actually use a putter!--instead of walking up and just quickly lobbing one of his drivers and missing...

Awesome that your kid's into it! Aside from the fun factor, teaching him course courtesy, respect for nature, and honesty are key life lessons that are youngsters in this sport benefit from immensely. I've seen too many foul-mouthed brats allowed to run rampant at some city courses, and it's obvious that they don't have DGing parents since they tend to pick up very undesirable habits (hide in bushes on blind holes to snatch discs, vandalizing, trash-talking).

Kudos to you, and keep having fun!

yes yes leopard! my boys, 11 and 10, throw a 125 or so dx leopard and a 125 or so dx roc. they both glide very well.

i'd say for sure keep the weight 150 and down.

that 150 dragon might be really nice.

Lightweight Leopards .......And more 150-160ish Leopards ... :)

my Girlfriend Loves HEr 150 Leopards ... ( Oldschool Dr. Seuss HOtsTamp )

" i am the lorax i play threw the trees "

Last edited:
Based on your feedback, I got him a DX Leopard 150gm driver. Even ordered up an InStep DG200 basket.

Thanks for the advice, guys, it's much appreciated! :thmbup:

Latest posts