• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aerobie pro ring (NOT Epic)

Codester1011

Par Member
Hey, just wondering what kind of distances you old pros/ anyone who can throw over 450 feet bh, are getting with an aerobie pro ring. Today I threw mine over 700 feet (normally a 350 foot max with dg) (I measured off paces and backed off quite a bit, and the disc was still over 30 feet in the air going strong at this point, but I was unable to find it in the water...) Just curious if anyone here has broken 1000 feet, If the internet is to be believed, the current record is 1333 feet.

ps I was not sure which area to put this in, mods, feel free to change it around.

It sucks that there isn't really room to throw this thing anywhere around here. My longest throw at a Finnish baseball stadium was only just over 550-600' but at that point it had just hit the apex and started it's way down, landed on the seventh row of seats.

By the way, Erin (the guy who holds the Aerobie record) is a member on these forums.

Yesterday was the first time I thought I had enough space to throw it...
Thanks for letting me know about Erin.

I haven't messed with one too much, but I was throwing one with a buddy in a 450'(or so) field and threw one on the roof a a 2 story building on campus across the field. I would love to have a chance to air one out sometime.

I remember back when I was 12 I threw the Aerobie a lot. I played my first round of dg @ Hornet's Nest in Charlotte, NC with an Aerobie. This was 1990 so it's a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it was Hornet's Nest. I found an Aerobie while I was looking for mine... Aerobies are horrible about scootching underneath the leaves.
The larger diameter version was our favorite by far. The little ones were fun but we usually defaulted to the big one. You can do fun stuff like catch it on your head, foot, arm, etc.
I was able to throw more than a football field even at the age of 12. If I threw it now I would definitely need much more room. I might have to go to the Virginia Tech drillfield one morning to test it out. The drill field is more than a quarter mile long and plenty wide. If I could just get those pesky students to stay off of the grass...

What makes them go so far the lightness or lack of flight plate?

Those and being so thin with little surface area and a sharp leading edge. The lack of flight plate reduces air friction so it is a very aerodynamic design. In that respect it is a good thing that there are technical limits to discs. It would be a long walk if courses were designed for 1000' drives and 800' approaches.

So would an aerobie-esque disc that meets PDGA standards be the ultimate distance driver? Im assuming you need a flight plate but you could replicate the thin profile and sharp leading edge, is there a reason no disc like this exists?

The foil (wing) of an aerobie pro needs the hole, it wouldn't generate lift without it. A disc that low profile would be impossible to grip well.

There is a rule that states that the leading edge toward the center has to start at at least 22.5 degrees angle of thickening. 1.6 mm is the lowest allowed leading edge height and there is a contour limit as well which together mean that the Aerobie shape is totally far off legal spec. There is a rule that prohibits holes in the disc and nobody has tested the waters with pores so they might be deemed to be holes thus illegal. I'd think that to preserve the nature of the sport the PDGA would have to disallow any porous technology that would add significant distance so that noobs could reach the longest holes whereas pros couldn't with regular discs. Actually way before that something needs to be done to keep the current level of challenge for pro players.

Aerobie pro ring large is at the moment the ultimate distance thrown thing but maybe a different sized one would fly even farther. Not really DG relevant. There has been talk of using flight plates made of porous materials to simulate the hole in an Aerobie ring but something new in materials technology may be required for durability. And I'm skeptical about enough pass through of air although this is purely a hunch. No research of it that I'm aware of.

JR said:
Aerobie pro ring large is at the moment the ultimate distance thrown thing but maybe a different sized one would fly even farther.
Nah, boomerangs hold the current distance record, by a quite large margin. 1,401.5 feet (427.2 meters).

One way or returning total flight distance? Somehow I doubt the utility of a golf shot that returns to the tee :)

JR said:
Those and being so thin with little surface area and a sharp leading edge. The lack of flight plate reduces air friction so it is a very aerodynamic design. In that respect it is a good thing that there are technical limits to discs. It would be a long walk if courses were designed for 1000' drives and 800' approaches.
we could start playing ball golf courses though... which would be EPIC

(I didn't intend on the double meaning there for "epic", but I like it.)

JR said:
One way or returning total flight distance? Somehow I doubt the utility of a golf shot that returns to the tee :)
One way, duh. The returning record is even more insane: 238m. And that distance is AWAY from the baseline (the thrower), so it's really 476m there and back. And boomerangs don't do "as the crow flies". The flight path is insanely long. Done in 1999 by Manuel Schütz.

Now this brings up a nice point: Since non-returning boomerangs have existed for ages (I think they're actually more common when not talking about toys, but I might be wrong) and the hook shape of long distance boomerangs should stick to the chains pretty nicely, why haven't people started playing bolf yet?

EDIT: Fixed the year.

JR said:
Wouldn't playing said courses with current discs be even more fun? More challenge this way.
well, let's say you BOMB your max dist drivers in DG, that's ~550ft (for argument's sake). That's only 183 yards. That's a medium length par 3 that you can reach with what I imagine is the top 99.9th percentile distance for DG. I think you need at least 800ft of distance before ball golf courses are at all accessible for DG