• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Age vs distance?

Nice to read that there are some other old guys here who are slowing adding a little distance. It's been coming for me, too, but it's taking more time that I'd like. 300 is still somewhere out there on the horizon. Accuracy is another problem. Some days, I'm all over the place. I'd like to get to know the fairway one of these days.

You just need to get out and do some field work. It sounds like with a little practice you'll be hitting 300. I'm 49 and started playing when I was 46. I don't run up on my drives and can throw over 400 ft. so it's possible. I think the biggest thing is really wanting to throw further. It's just practice practice practice. But a big drive doesn't always mean a lower score. I play with a guy a few years younger than me who doesn't throw much more than 300ft but he beats me all the time. His putting is much better than mine. So my longer drives don't mean a thing.

I just took up disc golf last Fourth of July and I'll be 60 in just over two decades. However, even with my limited experience I've found that form does indeed improve not only distance, but accuracy. Work on that in the field and play as many rounds as you can and I guarantee you'll see results. Happy new year, brother!

I'm young so can't give an opinion from personal experience but I've played with a few people that may just prove them guys wrong. Dave Greenwell and Rick Voakes both throw quite a bit past 300 I'd say 350' and 380' on a rip. Even more remarkable was Johnny Sias throwing 350' effortlessly. I believe the first two are well over 50 and the latter in his 60s.

All three in their 60s. I'm a week younger than Greenwell and get out to 330-340 golf distance when I have room to throw a full flex shot.

Last edited:
I can still throw farther than my age. ;)
I just try to be smooth and concentrate on the last part of the throw, try to accelerate right at the end.

I'm 45 and it seems like the more relaxed I am and the less I try to muscle it, the better and farther I throw. Now if I could just remember that when I am on the tee pad. :(

i am 44 and have only been playing for a few years
i have been slowly increasing my distance
i can now get mids 300-325 and control drivers 325-350
keep working at it

I know a guy who is turning 60 this year and he can still throw it 400'. Granted he has been playing for 30 years :D. It is all about getting good form down. Try to stay smooth through the throw and accelerate at the last second. That helps generate more whip on the pull through and increase snap/distance. If you try to muscle it, then you will not have nearly as much success as staying smooth through the zone.

I currently throw my mids from 220' to 245' (on a real good throw) but average closer to the 220' range.
That's not bad. When I started playing regularly a few years ago I could only throw about 210' with a 150 Champ Sidewinder. I was convinced I had reached my maximum distance.

The average distances I'm hitting with my distance drivers is only marginally better than my mid range drivers . . .
Distance drivers need to be thrown nose-down or they stall out. Midranges are more forgiving of nose-up. When you learn to have the disc rip out of your hand rather than letting go it will help you keep the nose down. Until then, you will probably see better results with mids and fairway drivers.

I've been told by a few other players that I have probably about maxed out my distance due to my age. :(
Never listen to other players when they are wrong. ;)

I disagree. I think that if I work on and improve my form, practice and maybe begin strength training targeting the appropriate muscles I should be able to make fairly significant gains in my distance. :\
Distance is all about form. Read about technique, watch videos, and practice as much as you can. Disc Golf Review has an excellent technique section that helped me a lot. Strength training certainly won't hurt, especially building grip strength, but technique trumps strength.

So I guess the questions is are these guys right... have I about maxed out or can I ever hope to hit or exceed 300'?

I hope some of you in the 50+ age group can chime in here and give me a ray of hope. :thmbup:
You can do it. I am in my early 50s with a plethora of joint problems, but continue to improve distance and accuracy. I was stuck at 300' for a few years (a common problem), but over the past few weeks I finally started breaking the 300' barrier consistently, occasionally touching 350'.

For me, the keys were to pull straight, let my legs and torso do most of the work, keep my arm relaxed until the very last minute, and then grip the crap out of the disc just before it leaves my hand.

If an arthritic old fart like me can improve, you can too. Good luck!

I've been told by a few other players that I have probably about maxed out my distance due to my age. :(

I'll go out on a limb and assume that these "few other players" are younger than you. If my assumption is correct, remember that male youth is all about knocking off the Big Dog ... or, "Old Dog", in your case. Throughout the animal kingdom, when a young upstart desires power, territory, wimmens, etc., he must knock off the ruling king on the mountain. The tough ones will try it through direct confrontation, and eventually succeed, as "Old Dog" dies defending his empire or decides at some point that retirement is a better option than ripped flesh and broken bones. The weak ones will try to knock you off through cautious, timid sideswipes, blindsides, and backbiting; they never succeed, until you let them.

You haven't maxed out your distance due to your age. You've just gotten started so you'll see continued increase in your distance and accuracy for several years if you put in the practice time and if you want it bad enough.

Remember, too, that those younger players have probably maxed out their mental capacity due to their youth. Neuroscience is showing that our wiring for rational thinking, cause-and-effect - this is especially true for males - is not fully in place until we're in our mid-twenties. Some, apparently, never get it.

You have over 50 years of experience and wisdom. Your fond memories are those guys' dreams. One day the "Old Dog" will be ready to go lay down by the fireplace. There's no good reason why it should be today. Good luck.

Anyone who's only been playing a few months, or perhaps a couple of years, is unlikely to have maxed out distance. Regardless of age.

I, on the other hand, am 55 and have been playing a long time. Age is one of the things that is starting to whittle down my distance. I'm sure I could improve my fundamentals, exercise regime, and practice time, and regain some of it---but just as sure that the max passed years ago. Thank God for new disc technology, masking the extent of my decline.

I regularly play with a 59 year old who gets a consistent 375'. He says he's lost some distance over the years, but only about 50' off of his consistent max d. I've played with other older gentleman who get similar distance too.

This is a sport that's about form, not strength, which may be something that hasn't entirely sunk into these players telling you that you've hit a wall. Sure, the body will slow down a bit, but not that much. I'm only 32, but 50s doesn't really seem that old to me, especially for this sport. It's not football after all.

I'm a couple months away from 44 now and am in pretty good shape with no health issues. I have been playing for less than a year, and just in the past week have started hitting 375'+ with my Dynamic Discs Escapes with several throws about 390'. That isn't "Internet Distance", i live on 3 acres and have distance marked off at 150',200',250',300',325' and every 10' from 350'-450'.

I believe with further refinements to my form I'll be able to reach my goal of 450' with distance drivers once it warms up again.

The video posted at the bottom of page 1 is 100% right-on. If you hang out in the Technique forum, specifically the Form Analysis/Critique sub-forum, you'll probably see user sidewinder22 frequently use a very succinct and easy-to-remember summary of that video: "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". I repeat this to myself often and often remind myself to "stay loose" as well.

Even if you don't post a video yourself (I still haven't), reading those particular forums and field work practice have been the two things that have led to the biggest direct improvements in my game.

I started playing after turning 50 and am 55 now. I have gained about 25' on my drives each of the past couple of years, although in 2013 I attribute it mostly to throwing more lightweight blizzard plastic. I max out at around 375 now, and have little desire to work on throwing farther. Instead, I am going to spend this year working on other types of throws - forehands, rollers, thumbers - that will give me more options and help me get out of trouble.

Personally, I think all the talk about distance is overrated. Playing tournaments and working on your rating is a better gauge of your progression. And yes, I know that you will have a hard time meeting your ratings goals if you lack distance and have poor form, but from my experience starting out on shorter, tighter courses and focusing more on your putting/approach game is a better path to having fun and being good at this game then doing lots of field work until you reach some arbitrary distance goal...

One of my friends just turned 50, he throws 350 on a good golf line easily, open field he can hit 400 on a good throw.

Fitness (strength and flexibility) and throwing form has more to due with distance then age.

I am now 55 and never threw a frisbee or disc of any kind before trying this game after turning 50. Played my first tournament about 15-18 months later and played AM against the younger guys, (even finished 2nd to Cam Colglazier by four strokes in 2010, he was a relative newb then). Even now I play advanced Masters against the 40 and up guys. Now I can throw on flat ground 300 plus and the longest hole I have birded was one listed at 390 feet,(about a 25 foot putt, so 365).

When healthy I can do OK but have battled an arthritic hip for years and finally opted for a hip replacement. I plan on losing weight and doing some weight training but I feel in my heart that I will likely never reach the distance I once did. Now on the other hand I do not play many long courses and will try and concentrate on accuracy and form in the coming months. But if you are healthy, active, and work on your form I believe you can improve your distance at any age.

BTW the courses I competed against Cam were my home courses so I had an advantage, did not want to leave the impression I was no where near his talent. Also one of the nicest young men I have ever played with.

Latest posts