• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Age vs distance?

I think arm/back/wrist flexibility can be an issue in older players, espcially if they started old. But I'm sure with proper technique anybody can throw 300. I know several locals in the 45-55 range that can throw near 400.

I think arm/back/wrist flexibility can be an issue in older players, espcially if they started old. But I'm sure with proper technique anybody can throw 300. I know several locals in the 45-55 range that can throw near 400.

Now that you mention it, I have had to go to a three finger grip. Probably due to arthritis.

I'm 58 on the downhill side towards 59. Been playing 8 months now and throwing about 220' on a soccer field. I'm confident I'll get to 300+ this year. It's about form, timing, working at the right disc level and repetition. Plus all the great advice and information on this site. My biggest mis-step was going out and buying all those high-speed drivers before I knew what the hell I was doing. Now I'm working on trying to throw <7 speed stuff straight after throwing annies with the high speed stuff to get any distance at all. I love this game. Wish I would have started 30 years ago. I'm hoping I have at least another 10 years to enjoy it before I have to take up checkers and whittling!

This is a great thread. Here I was thinking that DGCR is all 20-somethings that can break 450' on a regular basis, and so I don't talk about my puny noodle arm too much here. I'm (almost) 47 and I struggle to hit 250' on a regular basis. Gave up on distance drivers long ago because I know I can't use them to their full potential. Maybe someday. Until then, I'm working with my mids to try and get a clean, consistant throw. I know the distance will eventually come.

I'll chime in.
I'll be 49 in a few days and I can realistically get out to 350, 375 on a good day.
I'm in reasonable shape for my age and I try to improve my game by practice as much as possible.
I'm pretty sure that as far as distance goes, 350 is the peak but one can hope!

I'll chime in.
I'll be 49 in a few days and I can realistically get out to 350, 375 on a good day.
I'm in reasonable shape for my age and I try to improve my game by practice as much as possible.
I'm pretty sure that as far as distance goes, 350 is the peak but one can hope!

cut out the cigs and I bet you could hit 400' ;)

I started last year (age 52) and am now driving 275' - 300' regularly and 325' occasionally. I am still working on my form and think that I've got more potential distance. I played a tournament this past September with another Advanced Grandmaster who was throwing 400' and making it look effortless. I think he is rated in the 930's, and has been playing for many, many years.

My advice to any one just starting regardless of age would be to practice, practice, practice with putters and mids. Leave high speed drivers alone and if you just have to have a driver start with a stingray, leopard, xl, archangel, nearly any fairway driver. I believe you build your throws from the ground up and once you master the x-step you work on smooth release that eliminate flutter known as Off Axis Torque. Young, limber, and strong bodies can pick these usually pick these up quicker and have the "motor" to supply the drive for distance.

I saw my distance increase with fairway drivers after I played putter-only rounds for a few weeks. I am back to (once again) concentrating on putter-only rounds and then will step up to putter and midrange rounds. Oh, and I throw with a one-step routine. I need to work into an x-step but right now it impacts my accuracy pretty negatively.

I saw my distance increase with fairway drivers after I played putter-only rounds for a few weeks. I am back to (once again) concentrating on putter-only rounds and then will step up to putter and midrange rounds. Oh, and I throw with a one-step routine. I need to work into an x-step but right now it impacts my accuracy pretty negatively.

The majority of courses near me (Charlotte, NC area) are shorter, heavily wooded courses so a lot of times I only play putter and midrange rounds. I also know exactly what you are talking about accuracy going to pot when you try to incorporate a run up or cross step. I'm having the exact same trouble.

The majority of courses near me (Charlotte, NC area) are shorter, heavily wooded courses so a lot of times I only play putter and midrange rounds. I also know exactly what you are talking about accuracy going to pot when you try to incorporate a run up or cross step. I'm having the exact same trouble.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to just start over and throw everything with an X-step, or continue to make reasonably steady progress throwing from a standstill. Actually I guess I use a one-step delivery, as I bring my front foot all of the way back to the trailing foot and then step forward.

Seeing virtually everyone else throwing with a run-up or X-step makes me think that I'll have to incorporate it eventually. But the good news is that I don't worry much about foot faults!

You just need to get out and do some field work. It sounds like with a little practice you'll be hitting 300. I'm 49 and started playing when I was 46. I don't run up on my drives and can throw over 400 ft. so it's possible. I think the biggest thing is really wanting to throw further. It's just practice practice practice. But a big drive doesn't always mean a lower score. I play with a guy a few years younger than me who doesn't throw much more than 300ft but he beats me all the time. His putting is much better than mine. So my longer drives don't mean a thing.

Putting is my one saving grace. Anything inside of 15 feet is a gi'me, I hit probably 90% of 20 footers and at least 75% of 30 footers and have at least a 50/50 shot out to 40 feet.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to just start over and throw everything with an X-step, or continue to make reasonably steady progress throwing from a standstill. Actually I guess I use a one-step delivery, as I bring my front foot all of the way back to the trailing foot and then step forward.

Seeing virtually everyone else throwing with a run-up or X-step makes me think that I'll have to incorporate it eventually. But the good news is that I don't worry much about foot faults!

does your rear foot leave the ground as you throw?
or are you leaving them both planted after your front foot goes back forward?

does your rear foot leave the ground as you throw?
or are you leaving them both planted after your front foot goes back forward?

My rear foot does leave the ground when I throw. I'm working on a nice smooth follow-through now, as I previously had a tendency for my arm to swing up as I finished the throw. I am trying to keep my follow-through on the plane of the throw and that seems to lift my back foot naturally.

My rear foot does leave the ground when I throw. I'm working on a nice smooth follow-through now, as I previously had a tendency for my arm to swing up as I finished the throw. I am trying to keep my follow-through on the plane of the throw and that seems to lift my back foot naturally.

as long as you are pushing off of that rear foot also, getting your weight on to your front foot, with good follow through - your good
a big run up or X step, wont be a huge increase in distance, maybe a little once you work through it

Latest posts