• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All Jump Putts Illegal in 2012?

beat me to it.. "jump putts" are illegal. You cannot jump, then release the disc in the air. You must release the disc before you leave the ground. The Feldberg video is the best for teaching the ways of the "putt jump." :thmbup:

bugger
I swear I'm doing it wrong

can you be a distance behind your mark jump and release the disc while in the air but then land still behind your lie?

(not that I do it that way)
I think I might be releasing in the air and then landing ahead of my lie

my current style will require a technique tweak...not a problem...something (more) to work on

but is the method above that I asked about legal?

bugger

can you be a distance behind your mark jump and release the disc while in the air but then land still behind your lie?

my current style will require a technique tweak...not a problem...something (more) to work on

Feldberg says that is illegal in the video, so I will go with yes. Watch the video in the link, and he answers almost any question you could have. It's really informative.

You have to have a supporting point within 30cm from your mark

To be honest even on video it is hard to call if someone has released before or after they have left the ground in a jump putt. So as long as you aren't doing anything obvious I would find it hard for people in your group to call you on it.

Fast forward to about 40:00 of this Feldberg and he talks a lot about the rules and illegal jump putting.
http://vimeo.com/19847946

i like how feldberg gets domed at the end and the video cuts out, haha

anyway, that was really informative, cant wait to try some of daves preachings next time im on the course..

bugger

I thought you could based on what I've seen until someone here quoted the rule about maintaining contact. There are a LOT of pople doing it wrong.

I highly doubt that. The only thing theymight do is make the circle bigger.

some dude said stories... are the best

I don't know much of the pro rules, but I try to keep it as similar to ball golf as I can. I think jump putts are cheap/borderline cheating. I don't see why people would need to step off the tee pad or beyond their marker for drives either. finish your throw before you're over the line or suffer the penalties is my opinion.

I don't know much of the pro rules, but I try to keep it as similar to ball golf as I can. I think jump putts are cheap/borderline cheating. I don't see why people would need to step off the tee pad or beyond their marker for drives either. finish your throw before you're over the line or suffer the penalties is my opinion.

I don't like jump putts either, but I see no problem with pivoting off the teepad after your throw. To make that illegal you would have to make most teepads longer.

One of these days I'm just gonna say "EFF this" and go to turbo putting for everything. :rolleyes:

jump putts allow for a greater weight shift, the point isn't to get closer, it's to get more power.

I step off of the pad at the end of my throw so I don't hurt myself by not following through.

both jump putting and going off the pad are perfectly fine if executed correctly, meaning the disc leaves before you are in the air and your foot lands after the disc is released, respectively.

so youd rather throw shorter?? following thru and carrying out past your marker or tee box allows greater momentum shift which = more distance. otherwise your cutting yourself off forcing energy exertion from your back foot rather than carrying thru naturally..

Next you're gonna tell me that the Epic has been banned.

Run up

so stand and deliver on fairway shots 300+ feet out?... eeeeyuck. i'd rather see the falling putt rule dumped were that to be the case...not that i advocate changing either one...

No, you can run up, you just have to stay behind your lie. But truth be told, I don't play tournaments so I really don't have a dog I the fight. It just seems wacky to have two different rules depending on how far you are from the basket.

It just seems wacky to have two different rules depending on how far you are from the basket.
No one is tall enough to jump or fall into the basket from 10m away. You're pretty safe from that "dangerous risk" outside 10m...