• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

here are some old pictures, I have add like 40 ce firebirds since these were taken and just to lazy to re take them again.

P1010163 by jrcav1_17, on Flickr

P1010164 by jrcav1_17, on Flickr

P1010706 by jrcav1_17, on Flickr

I also have hundreds of the 10x firebirds and lots of randoms. Sold all my 11x firebirds and most of my pro candies. I kept a few japan open firebirds and other randoms.

WTH do you come up with all your discs bro?:thmbup:

Why is candy the best?

I like it for the grip. I did not say it was the best. I think it is what you are looking for though. If you want a FB that will brake in nice and you will be able to throw different lines with I think it is the one to go with. Reg pro is good too but will be less OS than Candy and it will brake in faster as well. Some of the Pro ones are CE blends and those are really nice too.

The 11x Champ ones are great too but they take a long time to brake in and will be more OS than Candy pro.

The most OS IMO are the CE and flat Champ glow

Great feel, great flight. Soooo good...

Dobbins! 2nd picture, bottom row, middle column. The translucent red one with blue stamp, any interest in a sale/trade? I had one just like that (bought at a 7-11 :)) that I lost last year. Me likey...

Dobbins! 2nd picture, bottom row, middle column. The translucent red one with blue stamp, any interest in a sale/trade? I had one just like that (bought at a 7-11 :)) that I lost last year. Me likey...

Do you agree with what I have been saying and my review? I am not a total expert I throw them a lot and have tried quite a few different types but it would be nice to get some more experienced feedback from people who have played longer than me.

Been a big fan of the Firebird for years now and own about 60 in various plastic. I use them forehand, Overhand(thumbers) and as forehand rollers. I hear lots of discussion about 1st run or other runs and got to thinking about the Firebird molds.

Feel free to correct me on this (or expand) but there are only two Firebird molds although you see three different designations (F,FL, FX) used to identify the discs.

When Firebirds came out they were FL molds but they just called it F because since there was one mold there was no reason to differentiate. When the mold was modified and FXs were produced these were marked "F" and the original mold became "FL" to show the difference. I had this discussion a few years ago and finally asked Dave on the PDGA website. The above recount may not be exact but I believe it's pretty close.

Which molds are/were available in which plastic?

FX
All DX Firebirds
All Star Firebirds
All Champ Firebirds
Glow Champ designated "F"
Pro(Candy) Firebirds - Little "F" stamp is good indicator but not 100%
CE Firebirds - Can be found with both "F" and "FX" designations. "FX" was on the earlier FX runs which later was changed to just the "F" designation when the "FL" designation started being used.

FL
Star FLs - They gave it it's own name
Glow Champ - Designated "FL" on the back
Pro Firebirds - The regular Pro most commonly identified by the big "F" stamp - Once again not 100%
CE Firebirds - Can be found with both the "F" or "FL" designation causing confusion because the "F" is sometimes found on both the FL & FX molds making people think there are three molds.

???
KC Pros - Need help here, Are the 10x ones FX molds and the 9x FL molds? I believe these are the only two KC designations the Firebird came in.

I am not an expert by any means... I have a ce but have never thrown it! I bought a red candy pro from a 7-11 in like 2003 (or something), and haven't looked back.

Dude you gotta do something about that signature. :|

The FB is THE over the water and it's coming back disc. It hates water, just won't go in. We have a lot of water on the courses I enjoy playing so the FB is in the bag or it's out over the water...

The FB is THE over the water and it's coming back disc. It hates water, just won't go in. We have a lot of water on the courses I enjoy playing so the FB is in the bag or it's out over the water...

I like it for that as well as many other things.

^ I have never thrown a 10x but the 9x I have is flippy for sure.

that is because lion actually owns most of the 10x that were made. they are flat and stable and taffy.....

i'm sure he could sell a few hunderd to us in this thread....... i had one and should have kept it.

Current thrower
IMAG0763-1.jpg

In training still
imagejpeg_2_3-1.jpg

I just traded one to Cali that looked just like the "in training still" firebird except with a blue stamp.

I'd probably only trade it for another Firebird of Comparable value or a nice KC Teebird(another thing I can never have too many of). It's 9+ condition (maybe thrown 4-5 times).

hey Dobbins if you ever want to get rid of any of that sweet plastic you got a buyer here! This Champ FB and Starfires are the only drivers that never leave my bag.
firebird.jpg

Do you agree with what I have been saying and my review? I am not a total expert I throw them a lot and have tried quite a few different types but it would be nice to get some more experienced feedback from people who have played longer than me.

Overall good assessment - I've been throwing them for a few years now and my favorite throwers are probably the Pro(Candy) ones - They are so dependable. I've never thrown the FL's a lot but many love them. I definitely agree that the CFR Glows are the most overstable, especially the Asian Open ones which are crazy.