• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

The DD Prime, and by extension I would imagine the Retro and Origio, discs apparently start very overstable in overstable molds. Now that I take a closer look though, it doesn't look like any of the Trilogy overstable fairways come in base plastic. The Verdict is the only one that comes to mind that comes in Prime, which I understand start very stable and probably go farther than a firebird anyway.

Possibly a suregrip blaze or spirit if those are around at all?

That's honestly a tough one - seems like the firebird is one of the few OS drivers produced in base plastic. I would also recommend a DX Banshee which fly real nice. Can't vouch for how DX starfires fly but that's the next click up.

First run DX Thunderbird flew overstable and had an awesome feel. I'm not 100% sure that the later runs fly the same tho

aside from buying an expensive version are there any good, inexpensive options out there anymore?

You could try a Pro-D Crush, or maybe a force. those are both pretty OS and come in baseline plastic, infinite has them for like 8 bucks

I don't know if either are similar to an FB but if you are just looking for a cheap meathook over hazardous terrain they would be viable options

thanks for the advice, i will study these options and scrounge around to find a backup for when this one turns over and goes for a swim.

Champion Firebird X-Outs for 8-11$. I just bought the last one off Marshalls, its clear, fingerprinty and flat as ****. Feels extremely good in the hand and it only cost me $9.50. In comparison to all of my friends 12x KC firebirds, it is much flatter and grips more

I have been eyeballing the 175g orange x-out on infinitediscs for awhile now, you should snag it. It looks flat and grippy too

As far as I can tell the only defect are two black specks in the rim deep within the plastic.

Champion Firebird X-Outs for 8-11$. I just bought the last one off Marshalls, its clear, fingerprinty and flat as ****. Feels extremely good in the hand and it only cost me $9.50. In comparison to all of my friends 12x KC firebirds, it is much flatter and grips more

I have been eyeballing the 175g orange x-out on infinitediscs for awhile now, you should snag it. It looks flat and grippy too

As far as I can tell the only defect are two black specks in the rim deep within the plastic.

Pics?

Who can give me a quick rundown of all the silly names that exist? Doombird/sexybird etc...please and thank you.

Who can give me a quick rundown of all the silly names that exist? Doombird/sexybird etc...please and thank you.
well doombird is discmania's fd3, but very similar to a firebird.

off the top of my head there's firechicken, manbird, and faf.

Firechicken is a nickname for v6 Pontiac Firebirds, FAF is flat as **** even though DGV claims it's "FLAT AND FIRM", 11x/12x/pat#/CE/ProLine etc I all know too.

I guess I was mistaken and thought there were more _____birds than just doom and sexy.

Why are there almost no flat Firebirds left? It makes me depressed and want to put an Ahti back in my bag...

Why are there almost no flat Firebirds left? It makes me depressed and want to put an Ahti back in my bag...

Liberate your Firebirds with some hot water and a 5lb weight:thmbup:

If you or anyone else reading this is gonna, "but muh rules" then IMO you're silly. Flattening a disc isn't giving me a strategic advantage over you in a league/tournament.

I'll have to try it... do you do the boil the disc method or the pour the water in the disc method?

If you or anyone else reading this is gonna, "but muh rules" then IMO you're silly. Flattening a disc isn't giving me a strategic advantage over you in a league/tournament.

Does it actually bring the wing up and make them more OS like the flat ones from factory, or just feel flat in profile but have the same stability as before? Also do they stay that way or do they go back after some time?

I'll have to try it... do you do the boil the disc method or the pour the water in the disc method?

Boil water, place disc upside down on flat surface (I have an electric stove:sick:), let the water cool just a tad then fill the disc enough that the water level is above where the rim meets the flight plate. If you fill it too high the water will pour out when the weight is applied. Let it sit until both the water and disc are room temperature.

Does it actually bring the wing up and make them more OS like the flat ones from factory, or just feel flat in profile but have the same stability as before? Also do they stay that way or do they go back after some time?

It brings the wing up. I do it for beat up DX/whatever old disc every once in a blue moon. Only issue (possibly) is the first day or so the rim is ever so slightly "+" mold. Let said disc(s) rest for a couple days before you use them and the inner rim will settle back to where it was.

Last edited:

or oven at 200 and a 5 lb weight. Basically what Innova does..

anytime a disc is flattened the wing will go down making them less stable. Hence why beat/flippy destroyers are generally flatter