• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am i missing anything?

Big Tone

Bogey Member
First Post! WOO-HOO! Love the site! Great information! I've done a ton of reading on here prior to posting. So with that said, here we go…

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 4 months or so
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH and some RHFH ocassionally
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Challenger: 175/225'; Buzzz: 250/275'; Avenger SS: 300/350' (all rough guesses, haven't had a chance to try on a flat field, home course consist of hills)

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Twisted Ankle's many times, dislocated/fractured elbow
Other sport proficiencies?: Ball sports, extreme sports junkie
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Have lots of molds, It's a love-hate thing…
Specific areas of desired feedback: making sure I don't have disc overlap, which im sure I do since Im new, and if I might need something to cover any gaps you might see
Immediate and long-term goals: have fun!!!

These are all the disc I have currently from buying new and a few misprint packages between family and friends. Im thinking I could use a fairway driver of some sort but not sure. Would just like some opinions as to what I have that I don't need as well as what I might want to purchase/use

All disc labeled without a weight are between 160-170 range. I like'em lighter! Im a small guy. Wide rimmed disc can be a little difficult for my smaller hands to grip as well.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
Nuke OS (z)
Nuke (z) –
Nuke SS (z) – forehand off the tee
Avenger SS (z & esp) – most used driver
XS (z) – first find on the course, started throwing it, kinda liked it
Xpress (z) – goes straight...
Flick (150 z) – fun for forehand and hooks like crazy
Stratus (x) – beat to hell already! Love hyzer flipping this thing and watching it slowly fade right still

Mids:
Buzzz (z) need I say more
Comet (z) really helping me refine my throwing technique
Hornet (150 z)

Putters:
Challenger (d) going for the chains??? im throwing this thing usually
Focus (d) been using it on wooded holes to savor my challenger for the basket shots
Soft Magnet (d) first putter I got, liked it

I really like putting with the challenger so far. Think im going to pick up another for using off the tee/wooded holes and get rid of the other 2. Im more of a spin/hyzer putter type, are there other putters I might want to try with my style of putting or just stick with what feels good?

My mids I feel confident in. I can turn the comet over very nicely, my buzz does what it does and the hornet gives me a nice hook when needed. Although I feel like the 150 weight of it might not be very good for windy conditions. Any opinions on that? Should I get a heavier one for more driving/headwind conditions? All suggestions still welcome.

Drivers…. HELP!!!
I think I need to get a slower speed driver, maybe a fairway? Idk, I get real confused when selecting drivers for a shot. Im confident in the Aveg SS as I've thrown it the most and understand it's flight characteristics but the others Im just not sure about. I'm really open to suggestions here. Should I avoid some of my disc? Which should help me improve my throwing/ line shaping? I'm all for trying new disc so feel free to throw out some suggestions for me here. What am I missing? What overlaps? Get rid of this, pickup that kind of thing.

LOTS of info here on me, I know! But im just searching for a little direction here from some more experienced players. I think I need to slim the fat out of my bag and get back to throwing instead of worrying about what to throw.

Im not opposed to throwing other companies either. I just figured in the beginning I better just stick with one and not over complicate things.

So please DGCR…. PIMP MY BAG!!!.... no, not really

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions!

-Ant
:popcorn:

Get rid of all your nukes in all variations. Get a teebird Unless you are discraft only and then look for an XL.

any reason for all discraft? i would suggest taking ALL the Nukes out.. with the distances from the Avenger SS i think the nukes are just waaay too much disc atm .. if discraft maybe something like an XL or Stalker and would say a Pred for a meathook but looks like the Flick could cover that for ya.. but i always suggest getting a Leopard and Teebird.. just hard to beat that combo and both have plenty of distance potential.. Leo i would try pro and teebird any plastic really.. the dx are great but beat in quick.. the champ would prob pair better with the Pro Leo

Yeah the nukes came in the misprint package. They are just hanging out in my room currently.
I actually have a teebird sitting in the garage in about 7/10 condition. I'll throw it in the bag for my next round.

The reason for discraft was to not over complicate things in the beginning. I figured it would be easier to explore one brand first then branch out as i learned more about the game. Im ready to try other companies. No need to hold back anymore.

As for the meat hook, I was looking into the predator as it seemed to be a favored disc by many.
I hear great things about the leopard too. My buddy has a really beat in one but I havent had the chance to throw a new one yet.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
Nuke OS (z)
Nuke (z) –
Nuke SS (z) – forehand off the tee

Avenger SS (z & esp) – most used driver
XS (z) – first find on the course, started throwing it, kinda liked it
Xpress (z) – goes straight...

Flick (150 z) – fun for forehand and hooks like crazy
Stratus (x) – beat to hell already! Love hyzer flipping this thing and watching it slowly fade right still

Mids:
Buzzz (z) need I say more
Comet (z) really helping me refine my throwing technique
Hornet (150 z)

Putters:
Challenger (d) going for the chains??? im throwing this thing usually
Focus (d) been using it on wooded holes to savor my challenger for the basket shots
Soft Magnet (d) first putter I got, liked it
Drop whats in Red.

What is the flight path like on you A-ss's ?
I'd consider adding a Z avenger and another Challenger

Drop whats in Red.

What is the flight path like on you A-ss's ?
I'd consider adding a Z avenger and another Challenger

On a level release it turns nice and steadily to the right and then levels out.

Thrown on a little hyzer flip it will pop up and ride out with some fade at the end.

Over complicate things am Im turning this thing over into a roller which I have no clue how to control just yet.

I have another challenger on the way already. Trying a crystal z one from DD. Something a little more resilient for wooded and tee shots i suppose.

Sounds good - grab a z avenger for a little more stability

Awesome!

Any opinions on my 150 Flick? Should i get a heavier overstable disc for meathook/headwind shots? ie. predator or something alike or should this thing be sufficent enough? Same goes for the hornet i guess.

to be honest i dont think you can ever go wrong throwing a Pred in the bag.. i tend to prefer the Firebird but all n all they are pretty darn close.. i have a noodle arm and the firebird is still a must in my bag for meathook/utility/fh type shots .. i have never thrown a Flick tho so not sure how much the two of them would overlap.. if you are using the Hornet as your beefy overstable mid then yeah i would prob go up in weight from 150

Thanks for the tips Ian. Much appreciated.

I've done a little reading about the PD. How would this compareable to the Avenger?
Do they fill the same spot/purpose or no?

I'll second everyone else on the nukes. I don't think they should even be weight in your bag right now. I would stick to speed 8-9 and under until your hitting those out 350'. Also, the Xpress, XS, and Avenger SS seem to be a little overlap to me. I know I personally can cover all those lines with different stages of wear on my XL's. But everyone is different. Also, I would recommend getting a Stalker in there as well. Stalker is my personal disc of choice for anything between my surge and buzzz distance wise. It just takes throwing different discs until you find ones you like, but hope this points you in the right direction for you.

I think I'm about where you are with length of playing time and skill level (However, I'm old.....) Anyway, I just picked up a Diamond Light from Lat 64. So far I'm liking it a great deal and would highly recommend it as a driver.

Ok, made a few plastic purchases the other day and dropped the junk from my bag.

Bag:

Avenger SS (z & esp)
PD Freak (P)
Flick (150 z)
Teebird (champ)
Leopard (champ)

Mids:
Buzzz (z)
Comet (z)
Hornet (150 z)
Stratus (x)

Putters:
Challenger (d)
Challenger (cryZtal flx) - in the mail
Soft Magnet (d)

Threw the Leo off the first tee at my home course the other day into a headwind going from right to left... 309' to the pin... setteled just inside the circle about 20-25' past the pin! Not much shorter than my best A-SS throw. Really liking this disc so far.

The PD... one word... WOW! Im pretty sure i just got my farthest throw ever with this thing. (493' to the pin, laid up about 125-150 out) I didn't measure it out but either way I was highly impressed.

My brother has a stalker. I've thrown it once or twice. I'll have to borrow it from him and see how i like it.

I haven't done any research on the Lat 64 disc yet. I'll have to look into some of these.

Updated bag contents

BAG:

PD Freak (P) - likes to turn with a smooth fade
PD Freak (S) - newer, very predictable fade, not as long as the P-line /scratch-head
Flick (150 z) - utility, utility, utility
Teebird (champ) - most used driver recently, straight with predictable fade
Eagle (champ) - new purchase, testing the waters with this bird
Leopard (champ) - wooded narrow shots, turnovers, used quite often, me-rikey!

Mids:
Buzzz (z) -hit enough wood to be right on the $$$, can throw this all sorts of ways now
Roc (dx) - experimenting with rocs recently, stable, but I can turn it when needed, not as much fade as KC
Roc (KC Pro) - experimenting, fairly fresh, stable w/nice fade

Putters:
Wizard (ss) - chains, chains, chains
Wizard (ss) - driving and any other shot that might not make the basket
Rhyno (dx) - new purchase, bought for utility, BUT... more below

So this has been my bag recently. I've cut back on what disc I bring out with me to become more familiar with what I have and like. I find myself not throwing the PD's really in favor of throwing something slower, more controlable for my skill level(could probably just leave them at home). I've been slowing down on my technique, which as most state has given me the same distance if not more with a more controlable shot/form.

I've recently been experimenting with Roc's vs my buzzz as I like the idea of minimizing molds in the bag. I've eliminated my US/OS mids as I've found I can make the ones I have do as I please for the most part. I like the beadless flat-top feel of my buzzz, fits nice in my smaller hands. The rocs can carve some beautiful lines, and the feel of them is ok as long as I flex the flight plate a little to get them snug in my hand. I have a feeling as the dx one beats in more into the ST/US slot, the rocs will be able to cover all midrange shots necessary. I will have a hard time setting aside my buzzz as it is right about in the $$$ spot currently.

I've been fondeling different putters at my local shop trying to find something that feels right. The SS Wizards have been my recent endeavor. They glide nicely and are very predictable. Ocassionaly i turn-n-burn them but i believe thats more of a release angle issue rather than the disc. I picked up the rhyno the other day for windy approaches or shots that i need to stick. Little did I realize but this disc feels absolutely amazing in my hand! I may try some different plastics on this one and use it for the putter slot.

Played a Leo/Roc/Rhyno round yesterday and tied my best round at 1 under!:D I do so much better not keeping track of where my score is during play and then adding it up at the end. Anyone else have experience like this?

edit: forgot to mention, the PD's... the upper flight plates look different on my 2 disc. the S-line has a much more blunt/rounded wing tip. The P-line is very sharp. Almost as if they were differnt upper molds used. Anyone else notice this between their PD's? I'll have to get a pic of them later to show this

Any suggestions/critiques/recommendations to the bag are welcome.

Last edited:
the s-pd is shorter because it is premium plastic and relatively new. what weights are you throwing for everything? distances?

pick up a used dx teebird and pro leopard and start beating them in for a good turnover disc. they have way more glide and turn much easier than the same mold in non-premium plastic.

don't worry about having a super minimal bag. i mainly use rocs for mids but carry a buzz as a short fairway driver. the roc vs. buzz debate is stupid. they are different discs. if you can find a use for both, carry them. maybe try an elite x or esp buzz for something flippy/straighter.

i would recommend a true understable mid as well..dx stingray and esp meteor are good choices.

Get a legacy ghost in icon plastic and you will say buzzz and roc what??? The ghost will change your game. Super long off the tee for a mid, with little to no fade at the end unless put on a line. Its like a hybrid roc mixed with a buzzz imo.

GL-
distances (estimates)
PPD, 300/350
TB, 275/325
LEO, 250/300
BUZZZ, 225/275
WIZ, 200/250
The others i haven't thrown enough to really give accurate estimates with.
I have a aused DX Tb actually. My bro currently uses it is his bag tho. Ill grab another. I have been wanting to pick up a pro leo but my local shop(which i like to support) hasn't had any in the last couple of times i've been in.

I know exactly what you mean by using the buzzz as a short fairway. I like it for tight wooded shots as well.

I have a dx stingray i found without a name/number. I'll throw it in the bag and give it a go.
Much appreciated on the advice!

Rasta- haven't tried any legacy disc yet but im always down for trying different/new molds. I'll have a look in my local shop for some. Thnx

d@mn, forgot the weights... just from memory
ppd = 171
spd = 172
TB = 170
eagle = 175
leo = 169
rocs = 180
buzzz = 175
wiz = 175
rhyno = 173

Been trying different weights but i guess that really only helps when comparing the same mold.

Up until about 2 months ago I was playing a consistent game with this sort of bag:
PD/Leo/Roc/Comet/Rhyno/Wizard
I played around with some blizzard disc, but wasn't all that drawn in by them.

Decided I wanted to try out Lat 64/Westsides line of discs. I threw this bag together with some disc I had lying around along with a few purchases. Trying out some disc in both plastics. Here's the run down:

Pure – 250/275' Pain – 275/300' River – 300/350' PD – 325/375'

Drivers:
Sword – VIP, 17X
PD – S, 168, Domey
PD – P, 171, Flat
Saint – Opto, 171
Saint – GL, 173
River – Opto, 177, Domey
River – Opto, 170, Flat
River – GL, 171, dome is in-between the 2 opto's
xXx – Opto, 173

Mids:
Pain – Opto, 176
Pain – GL, 170
Warship – VIP, 168
Fuse – Opto, 172, Flat
Fuse – GL, 177, domey

Putters:
Pig – R-Pro, 175
Pure – Opto, 175
Pure – Grip, 176

I will likely drop one of the Rivers, one of the Pains and possibly a fuse. I'm not sold on the Saint but I haven't given up just yet! I'd like to give both plastics a shot before benching it for just PDs & Rivers. I have yet to really give any sort of a chance to long range drivers as I've been stretching out my other discs. Suggestions on long range driver combo's I should try?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Remarks?