• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I the only one who finds most DG bags ugly

Ive always liked the look of the grip bags. TO me the UPD bags always looked cheap to me, but I will say that they look a whole lot better than the Ranger, Lat64, Voodoo, Simian, Gateway, Anything No Excuses, Hyzerbomb, Fossa, Prodiscus and Prodigy.
Looks wise I go Grip #1, Golf Mahal #2 and UPD #3

Now that I got you sheep all riled up, go ahead and whip me up a sandwich.

B.L.T. please.

I don't remember saying "grip is better looking" just that UPD bags are about as attractive as a fatal car wreck.

Upper parks:

rebel_lineup_jpg_v_1441165238.jpg

The UPD bags are just plain sexy!!!! Best form and function out there. I love my Rebel v1.

B.L.T. please.

I don't remember saying "grip is better looking" just that UPD bags are about as attractive as a fatal car wreck.

10gl6pl.jpg

I hated the look of grips/rangers/mahals/ect at first too. But then I started trying to carry around more than 12 discs in a regular bag and understood that its function over form for disc golf back packs.

think about how unique a DG bag's attributes have to be compared to regular camping/cycling/hiking backpacks, at the surface it seems like it would be the same, but you pick up/put on/take off/put on the ground/quickly visualize and reach in/reach out for 8-9in diameter discs over 40-70 times a typical round.

if they were cars you have to almost view disc golf backpacks like utility/delivery vehicles, station wagons, or mini vans porting around precious cargo (like your kids).

sure there are some people who will try to schlepp around their 5 kids in a large cool looking SUV and make due with the limitations (less functional space, harder to get in/out of, higher center of gravity ect).

I've totally come around and now appreciate any disc golf specific backpack (be it a inexpensive Magellan to the Grips/UPD/ect) because I know how much easier it is for that player. Its dorky and akin to two dads comparing their station wagons MPG/features/ect, but once you're in that position you can share in the appreciation utility/function.

B.L.T. please.

Can you point out why? There must be a resson.

And to elaborate on the sling idea, and not make this a stickly UPD fan thread... I know it isn't the ideal solution for tournament bags, but I could see it being feasible for the 10-16 disc range. Good for playing a speed round by yourself at your local pitch and put. As I find myself doing in an effort to squeeze weekday rounds in. Something like the focus in sling style. If done right you could probably even squeeze in a 50oz camelback bladder. The idea of access without taking off my back as I moving from one disc to another very appealing.

On pure aesthetics, I like the A series Grips, and the new UPD's, as well as Lat Luxury (except for them being so damn huge).

Rangers are ass ugly. What's appealing about a box you put on your back?

Last edited:
First off I absolutely am not saying that there are many incredibly well made and well thought out bags out there. I am also not saying I could design a better bag, but anyway.

So coming from a hiker, and mountain biking background (by the way I recently learned there was beef between cyclists and disc golfers where did that go from...) I like my packs in bright ripstop with camelback bladders daisy chains, sternum straps, and cinch cords. Now I realize not all of that equates to disc golf. Namely DG bags spend more time on the ground and discs are vastly different shapes than my sleeping bag and jet boil. So in saying this I realize UPD is making bags that fit this bill, which I like, but I also like options. Also the Ergo 2 is a more stream lined bag, but then I look at No excuses, fossa, the DD ranger, and they are all big and unwieldy. I will add another disclaimer here, I am not one who carries 20 some discs with me.

Aside from the REI outdoorsman, there are also many innovative bag technologies coming out of the military and tactical equipment manufacturers. Namely I am thinking sling bags and molle. A simple DG bag with some molle could open up all sorts of customizable options.

So, is there a market for slim line, less unwieldy or more modular bags? Or, and this is most likely am I just in the minority when it comes to taste.

Yes we are in the minority, but there is enough of a market for a couple of slimline bags out there now that I'm currently looking at, the gecko and the nutsac.

I think they both look pretty good too, the design, shape etc. The only thing that I find a little off putting is their names/logos, but at least one I've found can be removed, and either way no denying they are both svelte, minimalist, and still functional without being giant monstrosities designed to hold two dozen discs, radios, multiple water bottles, towel rack etc.

So I'm with you, but feel like there are some options out there that aren't bad at all.

I hated the look of grips/rangers/mahals/ect at first too. But then I started trying to carry around more than 12 discs in a regular bag and understood that its function over form for disc golf back packs.

think about how unique a DG bag's attributes have to be compared to regular camping/cycling/hiking backpacks, at the surface it seems like it would be the same, but you pick up/put on/take off/put on the ground/quickly visualize and reach in/reach out for 8-9in diameter discs over 40-70 times a typical round.

if they were cars you have to almost view disc golf backpacks like utility/delivery vehicles, station wagons, or mini vans porting around precious cargo (like your kids).

sure there are some people who will try to schlepp around their 5 kids in a large cool looking SUV and make due with the limitations (less functional space, harder to get in/out of, higher center of gravity ect).

I've totally come around and now appreciate any disc golf specific backpack (be it a inexpensive Magellan to the Grips/UPD/ect) because I know how much easier it is for that player. Its dorky and akin to two dads comparing their station wagons MPG/features/ect, but once you're in that position you can share in the appreciation utility/function.

I agree, to a degree, but if UPD can do it, why can't others. It seems as if this thread is showing there is enough interest in the idea.

As far as the mini van analogy, why are we still digging the chevy astro style of DG bags, when the technology and style can give us the new dodge caravan rt.

Can you point out why? There must be a resson.

And to elaborate on the sling idea, and not make this a stickly UPD fan thread... I know it isn't the ideal solution for tournament bags, but I could see it being feasible for the 10-16 disc range. Good for playing a speed round by yourself at your local pitch and put. As I find myself doing in an effort to squeeze weekday rounds in. Something like the focus in sling style. If done right you could probably even squeeze in a 50oz camelback bladder. The idea of access without taking off my back as I moving from one disc to another very appealing.

I'm into cycling and running, and tried to be the guy on the course who does running disc golf rounds and gets in 4-6miles (two quick running DG rounds) of simultaneous exercise and disc golf. I tried it with small north face bladder packs, then realized that it was just easier to run with three/four discs in my hand and map out where the water fountains were.

But I realized that for me, I enjoy the gradual pace of playing in a 2-4 some, watching everyone's discs fly, shooting the sh*tt, taking off and putting back the bag per hole and taking in beautiful scenery + if I'm lucky seeing/throwing beautiful DG flights/putts/upshots.

Lugging around DG specific backpacks/bags is all part of the experience ;) Its very Zen and communal. Simultaneously stressful and relaxing.

I just run and bike separately and enjoy that as well.

Ive always liked the look of the grip bags. TO me the UPD bags always looked cheap to me, but I will say that they look a whole lot better than the Ranger, Lat64, Voodoo, Simian, Gateway, Anything No Excuses, Hyzerbomb, Fossa, Prodiscus and Prodigy.
Looks wise I go Grip #1, Golf Mahal #2 and UPD #3

I can see how at first glance they can look cheap. The fabrics made to make them light and simplistic don't appear strong enough to be up to the test, but if they are like my osprey packs they very much are.

I'm into cycling and running, and tried to be the guy on the course who does running disc golf rounds and gets in 4-6miles (two quick running DG rounds) of simultaneous exercise and disc golf. I tried it with small north face bladder packs, then realized that it was just easier to run with three/four discs in my hand and map out where the water fountains were.

But I realized that for me, I enjoy the gradual pace of playing in a 2-4 some, watching everyone's discs fly, shooting the sh*tt, taking off and putting back the bag per hole and taking in beautiful scenery + if I'm lucky seeing/throwing beautiful DG flights/putts/upshots.

Lugging around DG specific backpacks/bags is all part of the experience ;) Its very Zen and communal. Simultaneously stressful and relaxing.

I just run and bike separately and enjoy that as well.

I breifly thought of running and golfing, than realized if I was running well I would play DG like crap and if I was keeping my HR down to be able to DG well then there is no point in running. I do like riding my bike to the golf course on a nice day though.

I prefer the gradual pace, the sad fact is working in my field and family constraints means that isn't possible more than once a week, as I am sure many people here can relate to. I have also yet to establish a close enough group of friends to play that 4 some on a regular basis. In either case though I want to look at my bag and like it not just deal with it because , "It is what DG bags look like."

my favorite DG back pack was The Shift because it looked and felt like a normal day hiking backpack:

shift_half_circle_1024x1024.jpg

also the side pockets hug your sides (even when not belted/latched around your waist) just like in hiking backpacks. there was little to no dead space, and the disc organization was ingenious.

I am leaning toward getting the orange shift. I just want to pock the hypothetical bear that is this forum and see why it is that only UPD is making "hiking" style bags.

I have the UPD Shift and I love it. It was my first backpack and I can't say anything bad about it. I don't carry enough discs to pack a Ranger or any of the bigger bags. Even if I did I don't think I would carry one, to me they just look very bulky. I went with the shift because of the vertical disc organization, and the fact that they looked like a regular hiking pack.

Welclme to the forums! Great to see members from Europe, especially from countries where disc golf might not be as popular.
Thanks for the welcome! Disc golf seems to be on the rise in my area [ S.W. UK, near Bristol ], I only came across it last year when the local outdoor activity centre installed a short 10 basket course, it's pay to play but £25 gets a years pass. It's actually a great course and in the process of being extended to a full 18 baskets. I'll head over to the review section and add review soon.
Turns out there's a further 4 free to play courses around Bristol, about 1/2 an hours drive from me as well, only had the chance to play one so far, but the group of regulars at my local course have just set up a Sunday League so we'll be getting out to the other courses too over the winter.

First off I absolutely am not saying that there are many incredibly well made and well thought out bags out there. I am also not saying I could design a better bag, but anyway.

So coming from a hiker, and mountain biking background (by the way I recently learned there was beef between cyclists and disc golfers where did that go from...) I like my packs in bright ripstop with camelback bladders daisy chains, sternum straps, and cinch cords. Now I realize not all of that equates to disc golf. Namely DG bags spend more time on the ground and discs are vastly different shapes than my sleeping bag and jet boil. So in saying this I realize UPD is making bags that fit this bill, which I like, but I also like options. Also the Ergo 2 is a more stream lined bag, but then I look at No excuses, fossa, the DD ranger, and they are all big and unwieldy. I will add another disclaimer here, I am not one who carries 20 some discs with me.

Aside from the REI outdoorsman, there are also many innovative bag technologies coming out of the military and tactical equipment manufacturers. Namely I am thinking sling bags and molle. A simple DG bag with some molle could open up all sorts of customizable options.

So, is there a market for slim line, less unwieldy or more modular bags? Or, and this is most likely am I just in the minority when it comes to taste.

As a fellow outdoors enthusiast I totally get you. One of the biggest problems is how bulky a large stack of discs actually is. Any back that is capable of carrying 20 discs or more is going to have to be huge and bulky just to accomidate the geometry of the discs themselves. Until someone comes out with something better you pretty much have to have a box shaped main compartment. The bags that actually are streamlined are all lower capacity. Ergo 2/3, shift, and the C series grip are all tolerable. I love my grip C 14, I think its one of the better designs on the market.

I think disc golf backpacks still have a long way to go from a design standpoint. They are not the end all be all that some people make them out to be. They are bulky and inefficient. The ergonomics are an improvement over the low slung bag and quad straps rig we all used to use, but they're still not great. Those rigs were a lot more efficient tho, so we've largely traded space efficiency for ergonomics. I've contemplated going back to something like a GB silverback for that reason. These backpacks are really heavy too!

It's early tho. Disc golf backpacks haven't even been around for a decade, other pack manufactures have 100+ years of design and tradition to go on, so it's probably not a fair comparison.

It would be nice if some bag manufactures would start emulating pack makers in terms of materials and durability. It irks me that I can buy a hiking pack for 180-250 dollars that will hold up for thousands and thousands of trail miles but my 200 dollar disc golf pack is showing major seam wear at critical failure points after 8 months of moderate usage

I've spent a fair bit of time daydreaming about a molle webbing based modular design. I think it would be awesome to have something like a MR yoke suspension that the customer can then customize the actual pack features off of say 10-20 different modular components.