• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Am I the only one who hates throwing putters off the tee?

How about somebody actually offers something helpful to the OP? The only thing I've seen that's even remotely helpful has been to not throw his putter if it doesn't feel right. The first couple of responses tell him to change his grip, and even go on to name grips. I personally have no clue what those grips are, so I'm sure he doesn't either. This is America. The OP must be American. Therefore, the OP must be lazy. He doesn't want to Google "Ken Climo grip" or "birdie grip". He wants to click links for it. I also am an American, and rather than going and Googling those (which would have taken far less time than writing this), I'm going to go play a putter round.

How about somebody actually offers something helpful to the OP? The only thing I've seen that's even remotely helpful has been to not throw his putter if it doesn't feel right. The first couple of responses tell him to change his grip, and even go on to name grips. I personally have no clue what those grips are, so I'm sure he doesn't either. This is America. The OP must be American. Therefore, the OP must be lazy. He doesn't want to Google "Ken Climo grip" or "birdie grip". He wants to click links for it. I also am an American, and rather than going and Googling those (which would have taken far less time than writing this), I'm going to go play a putter round.

Are you actually trying to use acting like sheeple as a valid argument? If all those lazy Americans jumped off a bridge, would you follow?

Usually when someone is having problems driving with putters off the tee it's almost 100% how they are gripping the disc.

I use a Ken Climo Grip for all of my Putting,Midrange and Fairway Drivers.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl..._gQUuzLDOTAyAG2poE4&ved=0CFUQ9QEwBQ&dur=18270

There are different variations of it depending on how big or small your hands are,but this is the basic grip. You can also use a modified Climo Grip which has the Index Finger's first knuckle against the rim. This is good for Controlled Upshots and Approaches.

Try this grip out and see if it improves your Putting Drives. :thmbup:

My friends are always telling me to use my putter more for driving but honestly I hate it. The big problem I have with them is how deep a putter is compared to a mid or driver. It just feels bulky and easily catches my fingers on release.

I use my putter (175 Anode) for putting, some upshots and some short control shots.

Am I alone here or am I missing a potential big very useful part of the game?

Op, not necessary but I greatly enjoy driving with putters. Some thoughts...

You already use a putter for short control upshots. Perhaps work on stretching that out more.

Don't over power or over grip the putter. I find that first timers think they need to throw a putter harder to achieve 'driving distances', and so, they tend to over grip.

Imo its the putter's glide that gives distance. Additionally the blunt nose is forgiving when dealing with nose angle.

Crap I forgot to add one more thing about the Climo Grip.

The key thing about the Climo grip is you have two release points(So you don't have unwanted grip locks which you can get with deeper putters or midranges.) instead of 4
(which is your power grip). You have tons more control with the Climo grip,but you do lose a bit of distance. Not much once you get used to it.

Also when driving with your Putters you want to throw them high. Putters are cool to watch when you get use to throwing them. They have a dropping effect. Throwing them high and watch them fade and drop.

You may ask why can't I throw them low? Well when you throw them low,your not giving your putter a chance to go anywhere. Where a Putters natural tendency is to drop you have to give it height to get more distance out of one. Now if your throwing downhill,yeah throw it low,but other than that keep throwing them high.

I throw my BB CFR Aviar Driver off the tee a lot. Usually on wooded holes that I want to keep out of trouble. I throw it hard with a slight anhyzer and it holds every time and if it hits a tree it doesn't go flying off the fairway. Clutch.

I never drive with my putter although I have made a few half-hearted attempts to do it lately. I have never liked this and I was using the power grip which is probably why I've had so much trouble doing it. Plus it would have to be on a really short hole, like under 200ft.

Since I got an Ion and everyone seems to love them off the tee I will be trying some shots with it. Although I would rather throw a mid range for a short drive, I will have to see if I get what everyone is talking about here.

Although seeing as I recently got my first ace with my Buzzz I'm not sure that I'll really go for my putter off the tee :D

I'll try Mike C's suggestion and do an all Anode round.

Just FYI, I'm familiar with most grips. I've bounced back and forth between Climo and Power grip. I can't power grip a putter. I use a Climo grip for that always.

Whomever said I was probably trying to overpower my putter when driving is 100% on it. When I use my putter for upshots, it's a smooth easy throw. When I'm going off the tee I'm usually trying to get some additional distance and that causes problems for me when using putters. If the hole is 150 feet of less I could easily use a putter but if I have to rip a putter I'm probably going to grip lock it or not get a clean release.

On short holes where many of my friends use a putter I'll use my Axis or Tangent. The Tangent for me feels and seems to fly like a shallow putter.

I absolutely love driving/upshots with putters. I use a fan or modified fan most of the time to help with the higher profile. You will probably get used to the feel quickly after you get hooked on putter flights.

You don't have to throw it hard to get it out to even 250. Just throw it slow, smooth and high. Keep the nose down and the distance will all come with the glide

Well first off calling Americans lazy is a very stereotypical statement. And I'm sorry my advice wasn't up to your lazy American standards. It's not like I was trying to give the OP bad advice, I was trying to help him out. The fact that you don't know the grips isn't a big deal but the fact that you acknowledge that it took you longer to rant & down other people than it would of took for you to do a little research shows that your willing ignorant. Also telling the OP that not throwing his putter if it doesn't feel right is just laziness on your part (look at that you fit your own stereotype). In my first post I told the OP to use a Climo Grip b/c I to was struggling with throwing putters until I changed my grip to the Climo Grip. I'm not saying it will work for the OP but it won't hurt for the OP to try it to see if it works.

Here's the link for the lazy Americans

Are you actually trying to use acting like sheeple as a valid argument? If all those lazy Americans jumped off a bridge, would you follow?

:thmbup::clap::hfive:

I'll try Mike C's suggestion and do an all Anode round.

Just FYI, I'm familiar with most grips. I've bounced back and forth between Climo and Power grip. I can't power grip a putter. I use a Climo grip for that always.

Whomever said I was probably trying to overpower my putter when driving is 100% on it. When I use my putter for upshots, it's a smooth easy throw. When I'm going off the tee I'm usually trying to get some additional distance and that causes problems for me when using putters. If the hole is 150 feet of less I could easily use a putter but if I have to rip a putter I'm probably going to grip lock it or not get a clean release.

On short holes where many of my friends use a putter I'll use my Axis or Tangent. The Tangent for me feels and seems to fly like a shallow putter.
You can't really muscle putters, well unless it's a Zone or something stupid overstable like that. That's why they're so highly recommended for improving form, they force you to use physics and smoothness to throw them. Whenever I'm having problems with driving putters it's generally from OAT creeping into my form from throwing OAT resistant discs more often; I just have to remind myself to slow down and dial up the finesse. Concentrate on popping it out with clean spin and some height for it to travel, maybe some hyzer if your putter is flip-able (Anodes you can generally throw flat).

It absolutely behooves those to learn how to drive a putter, not just the smoothing out the form aspect but also b/c they stay on the fairway and stick better than any other discs.

It absolutely behooves those to learn how to drive a putter, not just the smoothing out the form aspect but also b/c they stay on the fairway and stick better than any other discs.

I love a good use of the word "behooves." :thmbup:

Obviously. Because the entire tone of what I wrote was so incredibly serious that I MUST have meant every word. Apparently you can't say anything in an ironic tone on a forum without offending a bunch of people who use words like "sheeple". I bet none of you would have been offended by it if I'd added a retarded emoticon to explain to you what my tone was. I'm glad to see that the thread was pulled away from people sobbing about my comments and back to trying to help the OP. For what it's worth, my putter round this morning went quite nicely.

I used to hate throwing putters. The only one I threw was the zone. I switched to a pinch grip. (Thumb and forefinger pads squeezing together through the flight plate. Nothing on touching the rim.) The disc releases so much cleaner that I started using it for mids and fairway drivers as well. I use a fork grip for distance drivers. I never liked the power grip. My hands are big and pretty darn strong though.

Hell yes you are missing out. Some people carry seven drivers and a putter. I carry one driver and seven putters.

If I threw a putter off the tee and parked, then you proceeded to do the same with a mid or whatever choose, I would consider both great shots. It doesn't matter what you use, as long as you get the best possible score you can on the given hole.

Latest posts