• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I see its a closed group. What are the issues they are concerned about? Is it like La Mirada Open that put it their own tee pads? Are they planning to completely and permanently change the course for one event? Or are they complaining that a ADGT event is in their back yard?

Apparently the Salient guys got in contact with the city, and struck a deal to completely re-design the course, reducing it from 27 holes to 18, and getting away from some flood-prone areas. I'm not sure it really has to do with the ADGT event, which is an entirely other story. It may be that the Salient guys have connections with Orangeburg, plus, as we know, everyone wants to be a course designer. Allegations are that they went straight to the city, over the heads of the parks department.

They have claimed that there is no club in Orangeburg, though the Orangeburg club differs.

And is pretty upset about it all.

Well if the course is in disrepair (it makes me sick to halfway defend these *******s) then they arent really in the wrong per se. They have a right to do what they did...even if, as per thr Salient MO, its shady as all hell.

From the Facebook page...thr locals seem to think the changes are because Salient wants to run an ADGT event there. No clue if thats true or a rumor.

I'm sure pissing of the local club will really skyrocket attendance at a Salient ran tournament compared to the last few Salient lead events......

Well if the course is in disrepair (it makes me sick to halfway defend these *******s) then they arent really in the wrong per se. They have a right to do what they did...even if, as per thr Salient MO, its shady as all hell.

From the Facebook page...thr locals seem to think the changes are because Salient wants to run an ADGT event there. No clue if thats true or a rumor.

That would be in line with going to the COC. If Salient said they will bring 100+ visitors into town a couple of times a year, that would appeal to business owners.

there is one this month

If only there were some sort of, I don't know, profession that could investigate these things and cover all sides of the story instead of spreading rumor and innuendo (which, I will admit, can be fun).

Oh wait, that profession exists. Stay tuned.

Up to this point, this diversion was really a non-ADGT issue, except as a chance to bash the Salient guys. But having an ADGT-series event makes it a little more relevant.

Though it's both a PDGA and ADGT event, which is peculiar in itself, I'm not sure, in what manner it is ADGT---surely they're not playing by the oddball rules and disc standards. Which is I shame, because I wanted to put someone up to pushing some of those rules.

This is an event that the local club has run for the past few years. Last year attendance was poor, but I believe it involved monsoon rains. Earlier in the year, they ran a tournament with an attendance of 83, pretty good for a course in need of re-design with no local players. I saw the ADGT running this year's event, and figured, hey, the locals burned out, and the Salient guys stepped in, just as they'd done at another local course, Crooked Creek. Kudos.

Now the word on the street is that they usurped the local club, getting a permit to run the tournament before the club did, catching the club by surprise. Yes, I'm just rumor-mongering here, with no first-hand knowledge, but I trust the people who told me the story.

And since this is a bash-the-ADGT thread, and this is an ADGT-event, I thought I'd toss it in.

If only there were some sort of, I don't know, profession that could investigate these things and cover all sides of the story instead of spreading rumor and innuendo (which, I will admit, can be fun).

Oh wait, that profession exists. Stay tuned.

And....???

For the curious, on the ADGT facebook page they are now posting pictures and descriptions of some of the holes, at least a few, one every couple of days.

Out of curiosity, and sidestepping any discussion of this event format or its proprietors, what would make it "worth it" for that kind of entry fee? To you?

Out of curiosity, and sidestepping any discussion of this event format or its proprietors, what would make it "worth it" for that kind of entry fee? To you?

It's mostly the proprietors that are the issue for me. I would pay that much for an event that I didn't have to travel to if it had a track record of putting on legendary events. BG ams or Ledgestone type caliber event.

I seriously doubt it. I would if the entry fee were cheaper. I can't really justify blowing that money on an event that may or may not be worth it. I may spectate.

From a financial standpoint, you should be able to sell some of the swag and recoup most of your money if not all, depending on whether you played open or am.

It's mostly the proprietors that are the issue for me. I would pay that much for an event that I didn't have to travel to if it had a track record of putting on legendary events. BG ams or Ledgestone type caliber event.

Yeah, I've paid a bit for Worlds, and would consider paying a lot for the USDGC---but only because of the prestige it has established. I wouldn't have done it the first year. Nor would I pay that much to just to play on a golf course, regardless of how wonderful the property, or how good the layout.

But apparently enough people will, that they'll have a good turnout and don't need me.

Now the word on the street is that they usurped the local club, getting a permit to run the tournament before the club did, catching the club by surprise. Yes, I'm just rumor-mongering here, with no first-hand knowledge, but I trust the people who told me the story.

It's been a while since this post, but one of the Orangeburg locals with whom I was on a card with at the Langley Pond Open said this is exactly what Salient did.