• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I can't believe there is a single thing coming out of this that ESPN can respect, even if they never find the Facebook and DGCR postings. This is an embarrassment to the sport. As someone with no connection to this situation at all: just going to their website, trying to work through their social media presence, and so on... It's just kinda pathetic. They've done an AWFUL job for such a high profile event in our modern entertainment era. They've built an online presence for an early 2000s world, and even then it would have really been considered a juvenile piece of work (I should know, it looks like the stuff I was getting paid $100 for the job to make as a 15 year old in 2000).

A simple Google search of American Disc Golf Tour has our Ultiworld Disc Golf article as the third hit. So, if anyone from ESPN really cares, they can find out how people really feel.

I would place large sums of money on "ESPN does not and will not care". They got their payment for attaching a logo to the hour or so of coverage and hosting on their site. They're not going to expend any effort beyond that, why would they bother?

I would place large sums of money on "ESPN does not and will not care". They got their payment for attaching a logo to the hour or so of coverage and hosting on their site. They're not going to expend any effort beyond that, why would they bother?

But dude once it's on ESPN 8 'the ocho' our sport will be legitimate finally and they will show it all the time n be n the oompaloompaolympics.

Besides bro:

A simple Google search of American Disc Golf Tour has our Ultiworld Disc Golf article as the third hit. So, if anyone from ESPN really cares, they can find out how people really feel.

Congrats man! It's a great article and well done on the SEO keywords. :hfive:

If it puts an end to this particular circus, yes.

I can't imagine it will mean anything to disc golf in the long run.

It'll be interesting to see if this gets any mention at all from ESPN, other than perhaps Devan's ace appearing on the top 10.

If it puts an end to this particular circus, yes.

I can't imagine it will mean anything to disc golf in the long run.

All of this has been very fun to watch (like a train wreck) but in the end the bold is correct, imo.

Disc golf is still not big enough for anyone to "bring down". Whatever happens this weekend will turn out to be nothing more than an amusing story (at best) in the future.

Can't wait for this dumpster fire to finally burn out and hopefully Salient burns out with it.

Welcome to the future of corporatized disc golf - folks keep screaming for growth. This is where it leads (citation=any other "grown" sport).

In one sense, it won't happen for a while. The corporatization of everything happened from the 80s on. My little league baseball, in the 70s, was run by two teachers from my school, everyone played, in every position. Winning meant a lot less than playing and being with your friends. That grew out of hard times. The big war made us friends, we had to be, and we had to work together or we'd all fail. The Greed is Good (what a laugh) credo of the 1980s, that is still around, was a killer for working with your community, that is, in a not for profit way. Part of why the community thing still occurs in Disc Golf, isn't because we're cheap, like I've heard some say, it's because many of our participants are lower income. Some because they are students, some because this is what they can afford. That means we have to give and participate in ways that are less money oriented. Add to that the hard economic times that are here, and that aren't likely to go away any time soon, at least not as long as the jobs go over seas, and our politicians aren't willing to do something about that, and you have a sport built in community effort.

Yes, there is more money in the sport now than there used to be, and I see more highly educated types. Clearly, these will be the ones who can afford to go the big events. But locally, I still see so many volunteers, and those putting in grease work for the good, that I think it will be a long time killing it.

All of this has been very fun to watch (like a train wreck) but in the end the bold is correct, imo.

Disc golf is still not big enough for anyone to "bring down". Whatever happens this weekend will turn out to be nothing more than an amusing story (at best) in the future.

I think you're made of sterner stuff than me, I find it less amusing than cringe worthy. I do agree, it's but a blip. Go look through some of the stuff that Brian G. has done. He spends a significant portion of his time at conventions, and workshops, promoting the values of the sport, and the value of the sport (credo vs money). The number of "important" eyes that are going to see this vs. the number of people that see PDGA material is probably very small.

Like, too Small to fail?

It'll be interesting to see if this gets any mention at all from ESPN, other than perhaps Devan's ace appearing on the top 10.

Safe to say (unfortunately) Devan's ace is not going to be on the top 10 since it hasn't appeared yet. Pretty sure a prerequisite for being on the SC Top 10 is timeliness. All the other aces that made the list were on Sportscenter the same day they happened, after a social media blitz that got it trending. ADGT hasn't even bothered to put it up on their own social media yet. That's kinda step one in the process...get the video out where it can get attention.

I mean, talk about a prime means to promote the telecast today. Get the ace on Sportscenter and the anchors can mention that the final round can be seen live on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app this afternoon. Unsurprisingly, the ball was dropped.

Safe to say (unfortunately) Devan's ace is not going to be on the top 10 since it hasn't appeared yet. Pretty sure a prerequisite for being on the SC Top 10 is timeliness. All the other aces that made the list were on Sportscenter the same day they happened, after a social media blitz that got it trending. ADGT hasn't even bothered to put it up on their own social media yet. That's kinda step one in the process...get the video out where it can get attention.

I mean, talk about a prime means to promote the telecast today. Get the ace on Sportscenter and the anchors can mention that the final round can be seen live on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app this afternoon. Unsurprisingly, the ball was dropped.

Yeah, well we won't be dropping the ball just like all those "youtube, iPhone, backpack things" before... oh wait you mean the "youtube, iPhone, backpack things" actually got their content to a wider audience in a timely manner? Well, I bet they weren't on a major cable sports network when they did! Oh, they were on ESPN, like the real one on the TV, not a webcast that had to be bought? Oh, well ****, well we're still better! Support us, if you don't you don't really like disc golf, poser! -Steve Boucher's inner dialogue, or, the confluence of arrogance and stupidity

Last edited:
Did the time get bumped back an hour? I thought it was supposed to start a half an hour ago.

Or am I just confusing the eastern time zone?

1pm EDT

Screen cap from three days ago...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts