• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

That's surprising to me. I'm a mid-level player sponsored by Daredevil Discs and they cover my entry fees. As a smaller company, I figured that was the industry standard.

Colour me grateful.

Off the top of my head Philo was really outspoken about it on Final Round Radio, MJ adressed it in one of his Final Round Radio appearances, I can't remember if they got Big Jerm to talk about it, E-Mac has adressed it several times on DGAM, Steve Rico briefly talked about it in his last Smashboxx interview, and Jussi basically challenged/called out the disc companies to start covering the entries and/or travel costs for the top players to send them to his and other big events, which means it's not currently happening.

I mean, as far as all that goes, I guess I assume its an ROI thing. If sponsors are getting a return kn minimal investment (plastic and bonuses) why sink in more money to get the exact same thing?

That's just business. Sponsors are there to make money, not guarentee someone a living. Some might consider that ruthless. I dont.

Also, other companies are neither stupid, deaf, dumb or blind. They know what kind of a **** show Salient and Chris Kilgus have been running. ESPN or not, I wouldnt be surprised if big manufacturers told their players to steer clear.

The guys on Final Round Radio actually do a pretty good job of that.

Yup. Couldn't agree more. Love FRR. But, as you have pointed out, their perspective is a little too geographically narrow and they don't really comment or even bring up national/global disc golf issues. They do have a very breezy show, though and they are the best interviewers in the disc golf media game. Those Climo & Philo interviews were radio gold.

I put one post on their FB page saying it seemed sketchy and they blocked me.

FU(K. SALIENT.

It's become pretty clear from interviews that outside of the top 3-5 finishers, it's a scramble to break even at tournaments for travelling pros. Throw in that this is the highest entry fee, adds a ton of travel mileage on to what would otherwise be a trip from the Midwest to California, there's two other really good tournaments going on at the same time between the Midwest and California, payout and payout structure hasn't been announced, added cash hasn't been announced, half the entry money is going to media, this tournament doesn't have to follow PDGA standards for payout, there's literally no oversight by any governing body over money management for this event, and the fact that this is being run by a sketchy guy that may not handle the money properly anyways and I'd say there's plenty of risk.

I don't really know, I am not a touring pro. The announcement has included statements that the payout would be of record proportions. If they are rarely breaking even now, again then what is the risk. (outside of travel, as I stated originally) I think the 300 bucks is pretty safe, if all falls through.
Really...the entire Salient thing is not much more than some whipped up internet frenzy by a very tiny group of posters. The company has done harm to very, very few, in the big scope of even our game. (which is miniscule in the scope of nearly......well, anything).

Holy cow. Had only been looking at the site on my phone before so didn't notice what everyone was saying about the poor Photoshop work. That basket on the front page! :eek::eek::eek:

Also pretty interesting to see, as someone pointed out earlier, that the Fitbit sponsorship is gone. Kinda wonder if it was legit to begin with...

I don't really know, I am not a touring pro. The announcement has included statements that the payout would be of record proportions. If they are rarely breaking even now, again then what is the risk. (outside of travel, as I stated originally) I think the 300 bucks is pretty safe, if all falls through.
Really...the entire Salient thing is not much more than some whipped up internet frenzy by a very tiny group of posters. The company has done harm to very, very few, in the big scope of even our game. (which is miniscule in the scope of nearly......well, anything).

Its a lot more than a very tiny group of posters

Its a lot more than a very tiny group of posters

Maybe I am not seeing the larger group. Who, outside of a group of highly interested disc golfers, using a handful of sites like this, have even heard of Salient? And how many of them have ever been wronged by them? That seems like a very, very small group of people to me.

Only a small fraction of disc golfers even know who McBeth is.

The same small group who know paul mcbeth are pretty much the same people who know about the ADGT.

I use my friend brandon as a example. He plays a lot, for longer then me. Not nerdie about it. Doesn't read anything. I told him who Paul Mcbeth is. When i don't mention ADGT to him there will be close to zero chance of him knowing about it.

I feel most players are like brandon. Play dubs, few tournies now and then. Doesn't know any or few pros. Doesn't read articles. Doesnt really talk about pro golf.

Last edited:
Maybe I am not seeing the larger group. Who, outside of a group of highly interested disc golfers, using a handful of sites like this, have even heard of Salient? And how many of them have ever been wronged by them? That seems like a very, very small group of people to me.

The disc golf universe is small, and Salient only a tiny portion of it. But there are a disproportionate number of people unhappy with them. In our little world, is there any other company of similar size, that draws so much bitterness? Is there any company of much larger size that does?

The disc golf universe is small, and Salient only a tiny portion of it. But there are a disproportionate number of people unhappy with them. In our little world, is there any other company of similar size, that draws so much bitterness? Is there any company of much larger size that does?

UB disc golf literally ripped off a bunch of people so they are probably #1 on my list .. and ive done **** for salient but just always felt like a lost cause. Not all their products are bad (I have 2 bags and shoes which I know are all still being used) but have no reason to put my name behind them even though it was all from a review standpoint and never got anything but some unsellable free ****.

What's their rep around the Cola area? I'm curious as an Upstater.

I've never had an issue with Salient. I know and like the people involved. But it's obvious from the response they get that they've displeased an awful lot of people, for their size.

I couldn't speak for their rep around here. Other than this week, I don't hear much talk. They did start a statewide points tour a few years ago, with something like a $1,000 bonus to the overall winner, but it only lasted for 1 event. But I don't know the details. They recently picked up the baton and ran a tournament at Crooked Creek, after the longtime regulars had retired and no one else had stepped up, and it appeared we'd get through a year with no tournaments there. So kudos for that.

Also, other companies are neither stupid, deaf, dumb or blind. They know what kind of a **** show Salient and Chris Kilgus have been running. ESPN or not, I wouldnt be surprised if big manufacturers told their players to steer clear.

Hey Andy I thought Salient was okay in your book again, at least as of a couple months ago. Something new happen?

Lots.

I posted about it in many other threads.

I hear that Andy. You can only do so much to help a brand out. Id rather not get anything and support a product as well as company I think is great. I really had my hopes up for salient but just not sure they care like a company should and its not the start-up hiccups being referred to which are expected, that I think you and I probably both understand.

What a shame really given the opportunity at hand.

Latest posts