• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

My point? It seems like a lot of people in disc golf really have this obsession with being first, like they are going to get some extra glory out of it. Is that why there are multiple tours, so that someone can be the first one to make it big? I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if that was some of the motivation behind it.

:clap: Dude, so much this.

ADGT can claim whatever motivation they/he wants, but doing away with PDGA methods and allowing toy distance discs into a competing entity just to get 'on' ESPN has nothing to do with growing the sport, because they won't be presenting the sport as currently played, the version of which has evolved from the very founding.

I don't know the guy, but what I see is someone who loves DG but was unsatisfied enough with his game to allegedly cheat, ill-informed enough to start a company selling inferior products without the integrity to make good to his customers, and now desperate enough to assert his own ego that he's creating a mirrored pseudo sport out of a sport that's just barely making headway in popular consciousness.

I don't see this event/events ever even taking place. If they do, I can't wait to get hit by an Aerobie from 900' on my local course because some kid dug one out of his garage after seeing it on the Ocho.

BS. Paul not going might make it look bad to US. But the Pros will show out for anything they think they can get a decent payday at. ANYTHING. If the other pro's don't go either it won't be because Paul didn't, it will be because they didn't want to bank on Kilgus coming thru. Which isn't a bad call.

Let's not forget the manufacturers. Even if its on ESPN3 it will still probably get the largest viewership ever. Every manufacturer will want to have their players on the top card. Paul McBeth is already booked that weekend, no big deal (at least for the rest of the field) but for Innova or Prodigy to have their logo all over the backs of the players will have to be a big deal for the largest viewing audience.

Man this topic has caused a major Disc-Nerd frenzy on the interweb DG World!

Servers are gonna crash :p!

Looks like I got a canned response email from ESPN :\

qDMK5y4.jpg

anybody else get responses yet?

Wow. I went to the website and got super pumped for this epic espn disc golf throw-down with all the elite players. Then poking around the website noticed lots of strange things, like the creation of a bizarro pdga. Then I read tho entire thread, which was amazing!!!! Now I'm more intrigued than before to see what the heck this will be.
my biggest fear is that anybody pays the membership fee for this and all that ever happens with the tour is one c tier level tournament in the director's back yard.

It seems to me that Kilgus is banking on the "if you build it, they will come" philosophy. Only, in this case, "it" is just a shoddily built website promoting a concept that is far from being fully thought out.

Looks like they already took down the FITBIT logo from their sponsors area on their website. A few days in and they already lost one.

Anybody know of a way to see who has signed up for this event?

Even if there weren't questions and doubts, it would be unlikely that anyone has signed up. The news has been out about 40 hours. The invitees have 43 more days to make a decision.

I haven't seen this much unsubstantiated hype in the disc golf world since Discwing released the Quarter K 10+ years ago. It was supposed to change everything we knew about disc aerodynamics and was going to instantly chase the world distance record. Once the disc hit one tree, it was game over. After it did not get the result they wanted, they started hyping the Quarter K 2. But.... the disc golf community was smarter about getting burned again.

That is how I view the American Disc Golf Tour. The disc golf community is smarter than to trust anything from Salient. I know Terry and others are trying to look at it objectively, but it is hard when they have screwed over so many people. The big kicker for me is that they aren't nice or respectful in their business dealings. I know multiple people who have been threatened by them sending an email to a fake lawyer. Who does that?

I hope Salient doesn't need any favors from the PDGA in the future. It really seems that they have put all of their eggs into this over hyped event/tour.

Reminds of another "revolutionary" disc that has close ties to this thread. :rolleyes:

Latest posts