• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I find it slightly deceptive that there website taglines continue to tout that this will be broadcast on "ESPN" networks. I suppose that's true, but upon first read I think many are thinking "SWEET! ESPN!) As stated, it is likely to be ESPN3 or ESPN-U, and I feel should be stated as such; "American DG Tour, Broadcast on ESPN3"

Slightly deceptive has kind of been Salient's jam, so this isn't terribly surprising. Plus, it's marketing. Gonna get a lot of play out of people thinking it's ESPN proper.

I know it's for casual play, but I am quite amused by the "or flip your disc" comment from on the DGA rules sign.

Also, I would probably be in the "stay inside and watch" crowd if this really was broadcast on tv, and not the internet. If it was awful, I could easily change my mind and play instead.

Slightly deceptive has kind of been Salient's jam, so this isn't terribly surprising. Plus, it's marketing. Gonna get a lot of play out of people thinking it's ESPN proper.

It already has. Any Salient venture would have gotten a ton of play hear no matter what because of how much we all enjoy piling on them. But the ESPN name drop has already given them, and I'm assuming will continue to, give them an air of legitimacy and exposure they probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I'm like 5% tempted to get in on this event just so DGCR can have some boots on the ground

It already has. Any Salient venture would have gotten a ton of play hear no matter what because of how much we all enjoy piling on them. But the ESPN name drop has already given them, and I'm assuming will continue to, give them an air of legitimacy and exposure they probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I'm like 5% tempted to get in on this event just so DGCR can have some boots on the ground

Do it! I could always use a good first-person from the event to run on my site. I don't pay, but I won't make you pay, either, unlike some disc golf brands we know and love ragging on. ;)

I don't know about you, but Sunday at 1 p.m. or whatever time it is where you live in the U.S. is prime get-your-ass-out-on-the-course-and-PLAY time. I have a hard time envisioning a large viewership.

This. It'll be streamed, and we already have streaming options.

Honestly, I don't see this thing moving the needle much one way or the other. The Disc Golf Pro Tour Facebook page had like 2,000 likes on it the first day. American Disc Golf Tour is at 281. Not saying Facebook is the end-all be-all, but it's a good indicator.

Oh I would absolutely watch it live if it were on ESPNU, and DVR it as well -- plenty of time to do other things in the morning and later afternoon. If it's only on ESPN3, I probably won't watch it live. Believe it or not, I actually spend 3 hours on a lot of Sunday's at 1pm ET watching pro football, and still fit in a lot of dg those days. But the way the Packers got spanked this past Sunday night, I may have to re-think that strategy. :doh:

Am I perceiving a lack of respect for ESPNU?

Independent of any discussion of Salient or this shady sounding tour, getting any kind of disc golf coverage on the ESPNU channel, whenever that happens, would be a very, very big deal.

Independent of any discussion of Salient or this shady sounding tour, getting any kind of disc golf coverage on the ESPNU channel, whenever that happens, would be a very, very big deal.

I dont think so.

More like clarification of what it is, and what they give priority to.

I agree, I rarely watch the main ESPN channel since it seems 90% of the time it's Sports Center just re-hashing things over and over -- I watch the other ESPN channels a lot more, including ESPNU -- but that's just me.

Lol all these pdga members qq'n because their membership can't get them ESPN access. Tip for free, work some overtime, buy less beer, go panhandle, and eventually you can afford the real tour. I would prefer members here be required to stay pdga so they can be left behind and consult each other about how cool they are still.

I agree. ESPNU is a huge plus over ESPN3. If that's where this lands. ESPNU is actual broadcast, on TVs, where channel surfers can stumble across it.

Andy I think you have burned that bridge by "speaking out" against Salient :p

Again.
Speaking out AGAIN.
I gave them a second chance because the Vein,Vaccine and Backdraft are good discs...and because a certain company that I admire was going to work with them.

Of course that fell through (thank God, as that company is growing by leaps and bounds) and then I was met with lies,insults and chicanery from the owners of Salient.

Again.
Speaking out AGAIN.
I gave them a second chance because the Vein,Vaccine and Backdraft are good discs...and because a certain company that I admire was going to work with them.

Of course that fell through (thank God, as that company is growing by leaps and bounds) and then I was met with lies,insults and chicanery from the owners of Salient.

I have to Google at least one word you use in every post.... I love it. Lol.

Who knows guys, maybe this will be the greatest tourney project ever to be initiated....

Just catching up on the Smashboxx discussion of this. Really wish Terry would put on the hardcore hat every now and then. You can tell he's trying, like someone else said earlier, to balance his need for access - which I don't fault. But as someone who is such a big voice in disc golf, I'd like to see him take a stronger stand occasionally.

Just catching up on the Smashboxx discussion of this. Really wish Terry would put on the hardcore hat every now and then. You can tell he's trying, like someone else said earlier, to balance his need for access - which I don't fault. But as someone who is such a big voice in disc golf, I'd like to see him take a stronger stand occasionally.

Since he & JvD are running a business, taking a strong critical position might have financial and legal consequences.

Perhaps they choose a non-Smashboxx owner/employee who's opinion & information they are aware of to voice any concern they share.

Listening now. I like Terry's approach. Nothing wrong with trying to see all sides. Dana's pretty much got the negative angle covered.

Since he & JvD are running a business, taking a strong critical position might have financial and legal consequences.

Perhaps they choose a non-Smashboxx owner/employee who's opinion & information they are aware of to voice any concern they share.

I don't think Terry is trying to sugarcoat anything. He has had no dealings with this company at all and he is speaking from that regard.

If Terry thought it was terrible and bad he would tell people that; he is a blunt person. I don't think he is trying to protect anything. He knows nothing about Salient and has had no dealings and is choosing to not make judgments at this point in time.

Excellent point. I love Terry's work but unfortunately his business interests restrict his editorial freedom on certain subjects, which, like you, I don't fault. Hell, that's why Disney fired Bill Simmons, one of the most popular sports media figures in the country - because Disney's huge financial business partner, the NFL, didn't like Simmons slandering the league over and over to his huge audience. You can tell that it's also not in Terry's nature to deliver pointed takedowns, which is something I actually like about him too. Terry's trying to build an audience and bring as many people together under the disc golf & Smashboxx tent. (I do love it, though, when he gets worked up while defending himself against trolls who criticize him - it's good radio.)

There is definitely room for a disc golf commentator who is free to comment and pass judgement on anything without being afraid of crossing any business partners or sensitive listeners. I guess we'll have to wait for disc golf to grow much much bigger than it is now for that to happen.

Latest posts