• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Excellent point. I love Terry's work but unfortunately his business interests restrict his editorial freedom on certain subjects, which, like you, I don't fault. Hell, that's why Disney fired Bill Simmons, one of the most popular sports media figures in the country - because Disney's huge financial business partner, the NFL, didn't like Simmons slandering the league over and over to his huge audience. You can tell that it's also not in Terry's nature to deliver pointed takedowns, which is something I actually like about him too. Terry's trying to build an audience and bring as many people together under the disc golf & Smashboxx tent. (I do love it, though, when he gets worked up while defending himself against trolls who criticize him - it's good radio.)

There is definitely room for a disc golf commentator who is free to comment and pass judgement on anything without being afraid of crossing any business partners or sensitive listeners. I guess we'll have to wait for disc golf to grow much much bigger than it is now for that to happen.

The guys on Final Round Radio actually do a pretty good job of that. They even have a "call out quota" to be sure they're calling out peoples BS. It took me a little while to warm up to their podcast, but they legitimately get both positive and negative opinions out of people that you wouldn't hear anywhere else. Although that might have as much to do with the beer being served on site as it does with their style of questioning. I do wish they would use technology and expand beyond Charlotte a little more, but I think the comfort of being in the same room with the guest helps to get their guard down.

Excellent point. I love Terry's work but unfortunately his business interests restrict his editorial freedom on certain subjects, which, like you, I don't fault. Hell, that's why Disney fired Bill Simmons, one of the most popular sports media figures in the country - because Disney's huge financial business partner, the NFL, didn't like Simmons slandering the league over and over to his huge audience. You can tell that it's also not in Terry's nature to deliver pointed takedowns, which is something I actually like about him too. Terry's trying to build an audience and bring as many people together under the disc golf & Smashboxx tent. (I do love it, though, when he gets worked up while defending himself against trolls who criticize him - it's good radio.)

There is definitely room for a disc golf commentator who is free to comment and pass judgement on anything without being afraid of crossing any business partners or sensitive listeners. I guess we'll have to wait for disc golf to grow much much bigger than it is now for that to happen.

This post is spot-on. I've used the word incestuous to describe where disc golf is at right now, because everyone needs everyone to grow. Unfortunately it sometimes results in less pointed commentary. Personally, I have thought about some things to write but am afraid people will see it as controversial for the sake of controversy, which detracts from the point. Once some outside money comes in, I think you'll see some more criticism, much like in larger sports.

I'm just wondering when they're going to remove Dana from their invited players list. Seems like something they would do.

I haven't seen this much unsubstantiated hype in the disc golf world since Discwing released the Quarter K 10+ years ago. It was supposed to change everything we knew about disc aerodynamics and was going to instantly chase the world distance record. Once the disc hit one tree, it was game over. After it did not get the result they wanted, they started hyping the Quarter K 2. But.... the disc golf community was smarter about getting burned again.

That is how I view the American Disc Golf Tour. The disc golf community is smarter than to trust anything from Salient. I know Terry and others are trying to look at it objectively, but it is hard when they have screwed over so many people. The big kicker for me is that they aren't nice or respectful in their business dealings. I know multiple people who have been threatened by them sending an email to a fake lawyer. Who does that?

I hope Salient doesn't need any favors from the PDGA in the future. It really seems that they have put all of their eggs into this over hyped event/tour.

It seems to me that the first thing you need for a big "pro" event is pro players. I'm on the record with my belief that pro players and a pro tour do little if anything to grow the sport, but if you are going to have pro events the pro players are obviously vital to that. The people organizing this are in SC; USDGC was just there. You would think they would have had meetings and discussions with the big-time pro players getting them on board with this event instead of rolling it out with a list of invited players and a "45 days to register" deadline for something the players don't know anything about. From the reaction I've heard, what they did was the latter. If it ends up on ESPN with none of the top players there, what does that do for anybody?

It just strikes me as kinda weird. If McBeth has already said he isn't going, that takes the top player in the game out right off the top. If they don't do something and get a solid base of top players lined up, it's going to fall flat no matter how nice the production is.

If McBeth has already said he isn't going
I feel like this action - by a single person - will completely doom this entire thing from the start... the fact that its 'on ESPN' doesn't matter in the slightest.

Amazing how absolutely fragile this ecosystem still is.

I feel like this action - by a single person - will completely doom this entire thing from the start... the fact that its 'on ESPN' doesn't matter in the slightest.

Amazing how absolutely fragile this ecosystem still is.

BS. Paul not going might make it look bad to US. But the Pros will show out for anything they think they can get a decent payday at. ANYTHING. If the other pro's don't go either it won't be because Paul didn't, it will be because they didn't want to bank on Kilgus coming thru. Which isn't a bad call.

Paul not going might make it look bad to US.
Does anything else really matter?

;)

Are you gonna get a paycheck or a pat on the back from this endeavor?

Personally, I'm thinking the only thing we'll get paid in is sweet, sweet, internet drama. And I, for one, cannot wait.

/popping corn

Does anything else really matter?

;)

Are you gonna get a paycheck or a pat on the back from this endeavor?

Personally, I'm thinking the only thing we'll get paid in is sweet, sweet, internet drama. And I, for one, cannot wait.

/popping corn

I've had so much :popcorn: the last two days I need to see a dentist. I hope it only gets better from here

:popcorn:

That is what Crazy John Brooks is for... :D

But what if it works?

Jethro Clampett comes down from the hills throwing his Aerobie Epic 700 feet.

I want this to happen.

It's Jethro Bodine (unless you meant Jed Clampett, that's Jethro's uncle.)

Anyway, what we really need is a streaker to video bomb the live broadcast, shouting "My life!".

But I think this whole discussion about the 'American Tour' shows that something seems really odd about this tournament/tour. I think if everyone joined together and combined their resources there would be a better chance at success. I dont know if everyone just wants all the success to themselves; its a money thing; power thing; or if these people just dont get along... but it also seems odd that all these tours are being announced during the same year and seem to be competing against each other. I know people say they are not competing against each other... but in reality they are competing against each other. Hopefully one of them is successful enough to make a positive impact on the sport.

BS. Paul not going might make it look bad to US. But the Pros will show out for anything they think they can get a decent payday at. ANYTHING. If the other pro's don't go either it won't be because Paul didn't, it will be because they didn't want to bank on Kilgus coming thru. Which isn't a bad call.

Considering a good deal of the touring players are likely going to be in KC the week before and in Santa Cruz the weekend after, hitting up Columbia SC in between is an awful lot of mileage in a short period of time. There would have to be promises of huge payouts to justify the extra travel those players would have to do. It's a 2000 mile round trip from KC to Columbia and back. Contrast that to either driving a mere 240 miles (480 round trip) to St Louis for an A-tier there or hitting up Pendaries Village in New Mexico for their A-tier en route to California (so no real extra driving). Money from the ADGT would have to be pretty significant to draw a deep field, IMO.

Don't even really need to be aware of Salient's history to be skeptical about their ability to draw name players to a brand new, non-PDGA-sanctioned, non-PDGA-rules-adherent event.

Last edited:
But I think this whole discussion about the 'American Tour' shows that something seems really odd about this tournament/tour. I think if everyone joined together and combined their resources there would be a better chance at success. I dont know if everyone just wants all the success to themselves; its a money thing; power thing; or if these people just dont get along... but it also seems odd that all these tours are being announced during the same year and seem to be competing against each other. I know people say they are not competing against each other... but in reality they are competing against each other. Hopefully one of them is successful enough to make a positive impact on the sport.

In the San Diego area, we have no less than four disc golf clubs, of which I am pretty sure two started just this year. Why we need four, when we already had one excellent one, is beyond me.

Not long after I started Noodle Arm Disc Golf, I had a random dude from a Facebook group with a similarly-titled name get up in arms at me because they claimed they had it first. It was a Facebook group that didn't come up under a Google search of "noodle arm disc golf," not a website, and they had people posting 2-paragraph reviews, not full-blown articles. We weren't competing, and I had the site registered for more than ayear before launching, but they were still angry.

I also had another local club get pissy at me because my take on the San Diego Padres logo - out of total coincidence - was like theirs.

My point? It seems like a lot of people in disc golf really have this obsession with being first, like they are going to get some extra glory out of it. Is that why there are multiple tours, so that someone can be the first one to make it big? I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if that was some of the motivation behind it.