• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

What is the plan for implementing their rule book? No players in the event will have ever played by the ADGT rule book before, so how will the ADGT be assisting players in understanding the new rules?

1.A stance violation shall occur if the player's foot is more than one mini-marker's width to the right or left of the mini-marker at the time of release.

That doesn't mention a line of play. Do you think it means directly left or right? If you're a foot behind the mini, and a foot left or right, are you OK? And does it mean the player's entire foot, or any part of it?

Bring out the lawyers!

What's a "plant foot" on a straddle putt?

As specifically as is reasonable, what is the nature of the liciencing agreement with ESPN? Is ESPN paying ADGT for broadcasting rights, or is ADGT paying ESPN for the broadcast schedule block? Who is in charge of the production?
They are paying for a block of time. Basically ESPN3 is streaming a paid program segment. Similar to how infomercials get 30 minute blocks on late night TV.

No way in hell is ESPN dedicating resources to this - especially their production talent.

It all brings up the question of why they don't start with the PDGA rulebook, and publish their exceptions, USDGC-like.

Is it because, despite their protestations, that they're so much anti-PDGA?

Or did they have such a falling out with the PDGA that the organization ordered them to not associate the PDGA name in any form?

We have secured at least one of the owners for our next Final Round Radio episode (Record on Thursday, publish Friday). This is a good chance to take all the skepticism and form them into questions you all would like to hear answered!

"You are proposing to run a huge, even monumental event. What experience do you have running anything larger than local C- or B-tiers?"

"Who will be designing the course? What experience does he have in designing championship-level courses?"

They are paying for a block of time. Basically ESPN3 is streaming a paid program segment. Similar to how infomercials get 30 minute blocks on late night TV.

No way in hell is ESPN dedicating resources to this - especially their production talent.

Yeah, I think we all get pretty carried away with ourselves. ESPN could care less about disc golf. This is not an X Games potential sport. There is no room of creative analysts discussing disc golf as the next Red Bull sponsored teen rage. They certainly are not even interested enough to know about the PDGA, nor knowledgeable enough to dictate any specs. I am guessing there are likely competitive marbles associations with similar delusions.
It honestly seem like there are a few posters here, only vested in this conversation to continue some public interwebz shaming, for a personal agenda. I could care less about Salient, but I can hope that this could provide for a viable means for those, so serious about the game, that they look to make a living off of it, are given just one more opportunity to do so. They can't really do harm, other than to themselves.....I fail to see how it winds peoples cranks so tightly.

I'm assuming that is the case too. But id like to hear them cop to it. They are marketing it like ESPN has a significant vested interest, I doubt that is true

I'm assuming that is the case too. But id like to hear them cop to it. They are marketing it like ESPN has a significant vested interest, I doubt that is true

The promo video on Youtube was put up by a company called Aviv Moon Productions based out of Charlotte. They're a media for hire company with their own satellite truck/broadcast studio, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that they are the media production company that is going to be responsible for putting the tournament on the air (and paid to do it...by whom no one knows).

In this sense, it isn't unlike what Jussi did for the European Open. Only instead of getting live airtime on a national television station/network, they've secured ESPN streaming services (whether they are paying for or are being paid for the service is a mystery) with maybe a chance of getting to one of their cable outlets.

We have secured at least one of the owners for our next Final Round Radio episode (Record on Thursday, publish Friday). This is a good chance to take all the skepticism and form them into questions you all would like to hear answered!

I'd love to hear about their corporate sponsors that they have lined up, as well as why Fitbit was listed before and now is not. Throwing these big names around is a way to legitimize the event, but if they're not actually on board, or their involvement is being overstated, players who want to sign up might like to know.

The promo video on Youtube was put up by a company called Aviv Moon Productions based out of Charlotte. They're a media for hire company with their own satellite truck/broadcast studio, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that they are the media production company that is going to be responsible for putting the tournament on the air (and paid to do it...by whom no one knows).

In this sense, it isn't unlike what Jussi did for the European Open. Only instead of getting live airtime on a national television station/network, they've secured ESPN streaming services (whether they are paying for or are being paid for the service is a mystery) with maybe a chance of getting to one of their cable outlets.

Their HD drone is prett cool...

At first I thought cool, more disc golf, but just look a little bit into it and extreme disappointment. Incomplete rules, terrible PR, this thing is a joke. You know they/he is reading the comments on these sites, because the adgt website is being corrected as we go. Do we even know the ESPN letter is real?

They are still soliciting for the second event. So whoever bids for that second event in this "tour" will not have very long to put together a professional event and I would imagine the creator of this "tour" will need to approve said course/club. It takes a long time to organize any event, let alone a smashing one like they are asking for.

Yeah, I think we all get pretty carried away with ourselves. ESPN could care less about disc golf. This is not an X Games potential sport. There is no room of creative analysts discussing disc golf as the next Red Bull sponsored teen rage. They certainly are not even interested enough to know about the PDGA, nor knowledgeable enough to dictate any specs. I am guessing there are likely competitive marbles associations with similar delusions.
It honestly seem like there are a few posters here, only vested in this conversation to continue some public interwebz shaming, for a personal agenda. I could care less about Salient, but I can hope that this could provide for a viable means for those, so serious about the game, that they look to make a living off of it, are given just one more opportunity to do so. They can't really do harm, other than to themselves.....I fail to see how it winds peoples cranks so tightly.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no personal agenda. I've never had an experience with Salient, and I like the people involved.

But this seems to be done so badly, and with so much hubris, as to invite ridicule.

I agree that it's not a big deal. If it fails, it will be of little consequence. If it succeeds---depending on the definition of success---it won't likely have much consequence, either.

Not sure if being apathetic toward this whole thing makes me less of a disc golf fan. I don't want players scammed, and that's my only real concern. Other than that I'm kind of in the "meh" camp.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no personal agenda. I've never had an experience with Salient, and I like the people involved.

But this seems to be done so badly, and with so much hubris, as to invite ridicule.

I agree that it's not a big deal. If it fails, it will be of little consequence. If it succeeds---depending on the definition of success---it won't likely have much consequence, either.

If it gets broadcast live on ESPNU, or gets re-broadcast on ESPN2, I would consider that a success with the potential of very positive consequences.

I can think of some very pointed questions that need to be asked on the radio interview, but objective questions are probably best. To that end I have a few:

-ADGT is being presented as an open,honest alternative to an established orginization. To that end, why are comments disabled on thr ADGT Facebook page, to wit, why are players not allowed to ask questions or get clarification about the tour?

-Why call it a "Tour" if there is only two events? What is the advantage to producing a tour as opposed to one or two standalone events with juicy payouts?

-For the second event do you plan on holding it in the same geographic area, or are you truly trying to cross the country for a tour?

-What are your plans for an announce team for the event? Are you looking to have booth announcers and field announcers? Are you soliciting for announcers i.e. looking for samples from the disc golf community or looking more toward the sports world?

Just a few I could think of.

Ah, but who does that approval? Kilgus? He owns a disc company/clear conflict of interest. Even if he hires someone to do that, they work for Kilgus who owns a disc company. It doesn't leave any room for the idea of impartiality.

The PDGA doesn't have anyone working for a disc manufacturer approving discs. That's how a "professional" organization does approval. In the beginning when Ed Headrick ran the PDGA, there were all sorts of stories of him declaring discs illegal in order to protect the interests of DGA and Wham-O. Leaving Kilgus in charge goes back to that. At least Ed was the Father of disc golf; who the Hell is Kilgus?

Speaking of conflict of interest, it's like you're paying Salient Discs to do their own market research.

"What are the trends in new disc being produced in early 2016? Instead of finding out for ourselves, let's have people send us other manufactures' discs and they will pay us $75 to technically analyze them." -ADGT/Salient Discs, probably

I can think of some very pointed questions that need to be asked on the radio interview, but objective questions are probably best. To that end I have a few:

-ADGT is being presented as an open,honest alternative to an established orginization. To that end, why are comments disabled on thr ADGT Facebook page, to wit, why are players not allowed to ask questions or get clarification about the tour?

-Why call it a "Tour" if there is only two events? What is the advantage to producing a tour as opposed to one or two standalone events with juicy payouts?

-For the second event do you plan on holding it in the same geographic area, or are you truly trying to cross the country for a tour?

-What are your plans for an announce team for the event? Are you looking to have booth announcers and field announcers? Are you soliciting for announcers i.e. looking for samples from the disc golf community or looking more toward the sports world?

Just a few I could think of.

Comments on facebook are not disabled, they are apparently screening them and answering the ones they approve.

If someone wins the raffle spot and they are not a pro caliber player, will they still be allowed to play in the event, receive the pro player pack, and receive the free pro membership?

American Disc Golf Tour
Yes the raffle will allow anyone to play that wins the raffle. A players pack will be received. Membership to the ADGT will be the responsibility of the raffle winner.

Thanks for the reply. I have a question regarding new disc approval -- is this just for new discs introduced outside of current PDGA specs, to ensure the new disc specs fall within the new, more liberal ADGT specs? In other words, if a new disc is PDGA approved, is it automatically ADGT approved?

American Disc Golf Tour
All new discs beginning in 2016 will have to be approved by the ADGT. Any discs previous to 2016 are considered legal for play.

Latest posts