• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anderson Park in Chapel Hill??

sloppydisc

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Anyone know who is doing the work and maintenance at Anderson in Chapel Hill? I've always thought it was a cool little wooded course that just needed good concrete tee pads. Now it appears that instead of better pads we will soon be blessed with multiple alternate crappy tee pads. Come on man, do we really need 3 freaking tee pads on 200 foot holes?? WTH??? Quit messing up a perfectly good course with too much crap. How about a fundraising tourney so concrete pads can be added? We really don't need more bad tee pads.

Sloppy rant over...sigh...

Cosign this rant. I really wish they'd get some of those plastic tees they have at Kure Beach if they're gonna go the alternative route. On the positive side, they can't be worse than the concrete tees that were poured at Creekside. More than a few of those aren't very smooth and are way slanted.

My name is Dave and I'm doing all the work at Anderson.

1) Parks and Rec will put zero $, time, or effort out there now, so everything done since November has been on my own time trying to clean it up. I've posted numerous times at the course for volunteers, but have ended up doing it all myself since Brendan Moore left Town of Carrboro for Durham County, and no one ever shows up.

2) Anderson Park is the watershed for that area of Orange County, by law no more concrete will ever be poured there. We've tested a number of different pad types and since P&R won't install any of them correctly they now believe that nothing will work. Therefore, although we'd all want otherwise, Anderson will have natural teepads for the foreseeable future.

3) The new super shorts were my idea, sue me. There are no Green-level courses anywhere around here, and this is a public park. Why not?

4) I'm not done. Since I am doing it all myself it gets done now when I have free time. If anyone wants to take the ball and run with it, feel free. I have all the contact info for Town of Carrboro you'll need.

4) Measurements were all taken with 100' tape measure, you're thinking of Southern Community Park with the inaccurate teesigns.

I'm sorry you felt the need to "rant" about my 100+ hour labor of love. Yes, I have easily that much time out there just dragging off all dead limbs Public Works left two years ago. I hope this explains some of the constraints I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, Southern Community is the one with some wacky measurements. I have no clue how they came up with some of the distances there. But they have some pretty signs.

I'll PM you about helping you out

Southern Community Park needs to be an area of concern. It is simply not complete; unless there has been work done there in the last couple of months. Anderson Park on the other hand is more enjoyable to play b/c of all the hard work put in.

What kind of tees are there now? The last time I was there it had the astroturf thing on hole 1 (which I liked ok) and then the rest seemed like cheap, fake putting greens which frankly, I'd rather have natural tees instead.

You should seriously look into the plastic tees that they put into Joe Eakes Park in Kure Beach if you haven't already, especially since concrete is forbidden.

I'd like to add a little more background info to this discussion now that my emotions have cooled a bit.

First, a little about me. I graduated from UNC-CH in 1998 and have been a Landscape Designer for the better part of the last ten years. I spent three years in the early 2000s working for who I consider to be the premier Landscape Architect in NC, Caroline Siverson. For the last three years I've been the lead designer and installer for Bricktop Development and Ethan Homes out of Charlotte, NC. I've been playing DG since the summer of '08.

Anderson Park DGC was installed in May '09, funded entirely by private donations and, outside of the initial tree-cutting, done entirely by volunteer labor. I started the Anderson renovation in conjunction with Brendan Moore who, at the time, was the Facilities Manager for Town of Carrboro. He and I walked the course a handful of times over the course of Nov '10 and planned, then, a rather large renovation. He promised Public Works would handle any large trees that we would need dropped and that they had at least enough in the budget to add 18 new tee boxes this Spring. In December Brendan got a new job with Durham County and my DGing liaison to the town was gone.

Cut to today where I can't even get his replacement, who also did a walk-through with Brendan and I in December, to return a phone call or answer an email. My assumption is that the DG course isn't a revenue builder for them, so they just don't care.

Tee pads - We tried the honeycomb/gravel-in-a-box method that Russell Schwarz is trying to push now. But like I said earlier, our Public Works guys installed the test pad (Red #10) incorrectly (and w/o my knowledge fwiw) so now it sits about half full of gravel and looks pretty unsafe, whether it is or isn't.

Tournaments - Anyone wanting to try to organize a tournament or something of that ilk, please feel free to do so. I don't have the time, nor inclination, at this point to organize something on that level. I *do* have all the TOC info anyone would need though and I can get you in touch with the right Town people pretty easily. Fyi, there have been at least three tourneys that I know of held there in the last two years, one PDGA-sanctioned and two not, that were designated as fundraisers for the course and park. I think a total of ~50 people showed up to all three combined, and I know for a fact (from Brendan) that the actual donations from those three tournaments totaled ~$100 after expenses. If someone has experience in running and promoting these kinds of things, go for it.

Workdays - First of all, let me say "Thank You" to the handful of folks who have PM'd me the last few days offering to help. This may be the point where someone else wants to take the reins and organize something. B/w traveling for one job and working odd hours part-time at a recording studio my schedule doesn't usually match up with everyone else's. If I'm in town most of my free time is in the mornings on weekdays, which is when everyone else is at work. We tried two workdays on Saturdays earlier in this process and I was the only person to show for either, including the TOC people who helped organize them. So at this point I have no idea when to schedule something like that or, obviously, how to promote it. Anyone who wants to take charge of this aspect of things out there, *please* do. I'll be more than happy to help with the actual workday, but trying to put it all together and dealing with the frustration and disappointment when no one shows isn't in the cards for me anymore.

Club - If anyone is interested in heading up an effort to start a Carrboro DG Club or something similar that held regular events and regularly gave $ back to the course and P&R, we may be able to get more support from the town. (Brendan's idea)

My goal was always to make Anderson the best course it could be. It was never intended to be championship-caliber, there's not enough available land or enough variety in the landscape for that to happen. It can, however, be the perfect compliment to UNC and Leigh Farms. Anderson is the only course of the three in a public park with ballfields, playgrounds and other amenities for the entire fam'. So to me, this is the *perfect* spot for multiple shorter tees that are fun to play and progressively more difficult.

Thanks for reading...

I've known Dave, through this site, for the last 6 or so months and can tell you that he has put a ton of time and effort into this course. Frankly, I find Anderson to be one of the better courses in the Triangle and like the fact that there is a green-level option.

For those who are interested, I am going to be out at Anderson on Friday around 4pm for a mini-workday - probably only able to put in a couple of hours. Dave won't be avail, but is giving me a list of items to address. So...if you are free, come out and assist in the effort. I will be at hole 1 by 4...if you plan on heading out, shoot me a PM.

Mike

Tee pads - We tried the honeycomb/gravel-in-a-box method that Russell Schwarz is trying to push now. But like I said earlier, our Public Works guys installed the test pad (Red #10) incorrectly (and w/o my knowledge fwiw) so now it sits about half full of gravel and looks pretty unsafe, whether it is or isn't.

I played there today and it definitely looks like the little things that needed to be done are being done, kudos to you and all who have worked on this course. :thmbup: The lines are much more realistic, paths and trails are easy to navigate and the fairways are well maintained. I might have to go bump my rating in fact. :)

I love the tee on #10, if the rest of the tees start going into disarray and I had my druthers, I'd love to see the honeycomb tees replace them all over the course.

If I can back in town in time I'll meet you there on Friday. I am coming up from Charlotte so it depends on traffic and worm, but I'll they to make it.

4) Measurements were all taken with 100' tape measure, you're thinking of Southern Community Park with the inaccurate teesigns.

I'm sorry you felt the need to "rant" about my 100+ hour labor of love. Yes, I have easily that much time out there just dragging off all dead limbs Public Works left two years ago. I hope this explains some of the constraints I'm dealing with.
Ahh, crap my bad i played those two and leigh farm in the same day and i guess they blended together

I will only be able to put in a couple of hours on Friday (likely 4-6) - that pesky work thing gets in the way - but will likely be back out there the following week to help Dave with the maintenance effort.

I probably wont be able to make it out tomorrow but I should be able to come out next week sometime if yall need a hand.

I plan on being out there Sun and Mon to start grading the dirt tee boxes. With everything essentially on a hill out there this is going to a take a while to get all of them so they won't wash away, but I plan on starting with the worst ones first fwiw. If anyone wants to come out, I have all the tools we need (I think), but could always use an extra shovel and rake. I'm flexible on times for Sun, but Mon i'll have to be done and off-site by 1p.

I'm not sure when my next free day will be, but will probably be next weekend some time. Big thanks to all who are volunteering here!

@ Brother Dave - Fwiw, i'd like to have them all like that too. I refilled that one the other day though, it doesn't look near as good or feel near as safe when the gravel is half-empty. Level installation is key.

Dave, I definitely will be out there by 4, since I saw the t-storms are holding off till after 6. I'll start clearing the fairways and let you know where I get to. Don't have much equipment left...after I sold it off...but will get as much off your list as I can.

Was able to clear the tee areas, fairways and greens of garbage and debris - real messy after the storms on the initial holes. Figured I would get a real quick round in from the green tees after...aced #3...how's that for karma. Will likely be out there again next week at some point - right now looks like Wed to help in the continued effort. Dave, just let me know what you need from me.

What time tomorrow? I have some stuff to do in the morning, but may be able to help out after lunch.

After all the rain last night, trying to dig out tee boxes today would just be a muddy mess. Anyone free Wed or Fri afternoons this week? I can be at the park around 4p on Wed and probably any time after lunch on Fri. My goal is to get all the tees graded and marked this week if possible, then I can start attacking the erosion issues in the fairways and paths.

Big thanks to Mike for sweeping through on Fri and cleaning up all the storm debris.

I am out of town for work all week. I'll be back Friday afternoon or evening.

Latest posts