• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

anny's into headwinds

pookie

Birdie Member
Does anybody else use strong, 20+ mph, headwinds to your advantage to anny OS discs bh? I was experimenting with headwinds of lately since they have been so bad out here that I started to anny into headwinds with OS discs. The os disc stays on a strong anny until the very end when it will either flex back or hold the line depending on how strong the wind is. I've mainly used a giant and worked a little bit with a xxx.

this is a good question.
I would probably use my flippy destroyer in this case, since it's overstable but not excessively, so I'm guessing it should follow that anny line completely.
I'd pick a OS disc that you can anny completely in Calm conditions, but takes at least 80% of your power/speed/spin. That's what I would do.

I was doing this today with a S/DS. I have less stable destroyers that I may even hyzerflip if there isn't too much room horizontally. If there's room, I'll flex something more overstable.

It seemed like most everyone tries to throw the os disc hard towards on a hyzer hoping the wind straightens out, but I've seen a lot times the disc getting to high and taking off. By annying it against the wind it seems to continue it on the anny line even longer, much like an understable disc.

yeah this can work but also can lift the disc 100' into the air higher than you wanted if the angle is off. headwind makes any disc fly less stable so yes you are on the right track, but I have to flip my discs into a headwind and not throw anhyzer or they will turn too hard, so it depends on your power level as well as equipment being used as to how a headwind will truly impact the disc flight.

No, hes talking about throwing an anhyzer line in a headwind.. A forehand shot with an OS disc will finish fairly straight in a headwind or turn-over to the LEFT at high speeds being the disc is spinning the opposite direction and it will not carry as far off to the right. If you want a shot to go far right, in a headwind, then a forehand throw is not the best choice-- regardless of the disc. Yes, a more over-stable disc will not turn in a headwind as much but that does not mean it will also fade/turn longer, just it wants to get to the ground sooner and is more reliable in the above said conditions than a disc which is understable.

/thread.

Last edited:
AFTC is spot on - since a headwind effectively decreases the stability of every disc, you have to compensate for it, but there are several ways to do so:
a) you could "disc up" to something with greater stability to balance out the effect the wind has.
b) you could throw the same disc you would with no wind, but adjust the release angle to flat or even a hyzer angle.

If you release on an angle that allows the wind to really get under your disc, it can really lift it up. Could mean more distance, but it can also fade back quite a when it slows and it has a lot farther to fall. Some discs tend to fight and fade back when they slow down after they turn, others not so much, and others hardly at all.

I think I may try this next time with driving. A few month ago someone in the open class taught me to putt with an anny into a headwind, adjusting the anny angle for the speed of the wind and how far away you are. Right after I was taught that, I hit a putt that was about 70 feet away into a headwind.

I do this

If the conditions are right, I bring out a beat to piss FR boss I found in the creek that someone got good use out of. I know if i throw it high with an anny into a strong head wind it just holds the line for a LONG way.

If the hole has room, I take advantage of heavy headwinds and throw pure hard anny with a stable-stable AJ destroyer :)

I have recently begun throwing under stable discs on a hyzer out to the left in a head wind bc I know they will flip and float right until the reach the ground. Excellent for going x distance before turning right, obviously as long as the hole allows. Roadrunners , sidewinder or amp type discs seem to work best. Ie fairway drivers.

I don't like anhyzers into headwinds. I just either go flat or hyzer flip with a domey champ destroyer. If I need more turn to the right I just go with a beat to stuffing Pro destroyer, I know that thing ain't coming back even if I start it on a hyzer, then it just goes straight longer before it turns and burns..

Last edited:

Latest posts