• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

any way to stiffen discs?

Depending on your budget there's a couple ways, other than getting freaky with it :p

1. Take it to a shop that does cryo treating. They use liquid nitrogen (I think) to deep freeze parts, makes the molecules contract uber tight then they slowly let it get back to room temp. They harden steel with it but I'm sure its dx approved too :) but you could probably buy a stack of plastic for what it would cost.

2. Leave it out in the sun for a couple weeks. Every disc I've ever found that had obviously been lost for a long time was pretty hard n brittle. Maybe with just a few weeks exposure it would just firm up.

Hey everyone! The OP is asking about D.I.S.C.S.

Not that other word that sounds like it. :p ;)

OP, the answer is no. :popcorn:

Depending on your budget there's a couple ways, other than getting freaky with it :p

1. Take it to a shop that does cryo treating. They use liquid nitrogen (I think) to deep freeze parts, makes the molecules contract uber tight then they slowly let it get back to room temp. They harden steel with it but I'm sure its dx approved too :) but you could probably buy a stack of plastic for what it would cost.

2. Leave it out in the sun for a couple weeks. Every disc I've ever found that had obviously been lost for a long time was pretty hard n brittle. Maybe with just a few weeks exposure it would just firm up.

i live in arizona, i think the sun will just melt it. and also, its a black disc, so i think it would just melt

Here's your new disc golf bag, just add ice.

playmate20cooler.jpg

Last edited:

Before they had much in the way of soft plastics, we used to leave our putters out on the deck to soften them up. :\

In all seriousness, you're better off buying the plastic you want. Long term weather/sun exposure is the only thing I've ever noticed that can stiffen up plastic, but it doesn't work on all plastics (seems to affect pro and dx types more). A petro engineer could probably explain it better, but it depends on the formulation...the base plastic and plasticizers are what affects the stiffness, and those plasticizers do degrade. DX is mostly polyethylene (or polypro, can't remember), and it's fairly durable in that regard, but if you want to give it a shot, just leave the disc by the windshield in the car if it's not scorching outside, and leave it outdoors the rest of the time. I don't think any chem soaks will do this safely, and I wouldn't even try. Just get a different disc and experiment with this one if you feel like it.

Throw it in a pool for a week or two.... Seriously

Latest posts