• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anybody Else Really Digging the FLX Drone?

Maybe its my personal experience but I am feeling the other way around. I got the Z Drone for 2009 Worlds (or whatever tournament it was last year with the Z Drone) and I found that I prefer the 2008 Worlds FLX Drone over the Z and FLX LE. The Z Drone seemed to have a little more glide, and thus a little more straight forward distance, but I did not have the control or the confidence that I have with the FLX Drone. I think it comes more from the grip than the actual flight.

As the weather gets warmer here in Minnesota I will probably put the Z Drone back in the bag just to compare it again (and because it has a cool tye-dye job I like to show off in flight), but in general I do not like throwing any of those clear plastic discs (Z, Champion) in colder temperatures. There is something with Opto plastic that for whatever reason I make an exception for, but I have been digging the "grippier" plastics a lot more recently (Star, Pro, Gold Line, ESP).

Also, I found that the Trident has a very similar flight and gets just a little more distance than the Z Drone. Now I can carry the FLX Drone for control midrange shots and the Trident for shorter drives that require fade with little worry of overlapping.

Finally, again maybe just from my style, but I find that with the FLX Drone bounces more consistently. I often use it to purposely bounce off the ground to make really hard left turns or to get around obstacles where I only need another 50 or so feet. With the FLX being able to absorb more of an impact, it is far more reliable and consistent than the harder plastics.

I would be lost without my 2008 Worlds FLX Drone.

I've got two Z Drones I'm willing to sell or trade. They have no ink, and have only been field tested. I'm sticking with my E Demons so if anyone is interested then send a PM.

It seems like every winter I add the flx drone back into the bag and love it. Then come spring the drone is replaced by my kc whippets again.

I carry a stiff flx drone and a beaten in d drone. I like the beaten in d drone as a substitute for a roc, just like a new drone it doesn't flip but stays straight longer with the big fade at the end.

I too have grown very, very fond of the Drone. Super dependable and I've found it to be extremely useful.
My FLX does have a significant dome on it but it is still very overstable. I've also got a Pro D one that I've gotten all beat up and it flies like my Wasp just not as far, though it isn't that far behind it. I must say that I especially love how unaffected by strong winds it is, it acts pretty much like there is no wind at all.

A.Mutt said:
I too have grown very, very fond of the Drone. Super dependable and I've found it to be extremely useful.
My FLX does have a significant dome on it but it is still very overstable. I've also got a Pro D one that I've gotten all beat up and it flies like my Wasp just not as far, though it isn't that far behind it. I must say that I especially love how unaffected by strong winds it is, it acts pretty much like there is no wind at all.

I still have my LE FLX from the very first batch in my bag and it's still unbelievably dependable. Yesterday I threw it around 320 ft with a stiff L to R crosswind and it held a perfect line all the way to the basket and hyzered right in. It was totally unaware that there was any wind at all. Mine weighs 4 grams heavier than it says though (says 174 is actually 178.something) so I'm sure that helps. I also like using mine in the woods for weird angled upshots and teeshots along with big skips and get out of trouble shots.

Thanks for the all the replies.

I've tried a star gator before and didn't care for it (seemed inconsistent). I've never thrown a Demon but I've heard that they are like a slightly shorter whippet (which I don't care for either). I might have to pick one up for test purposes though.

How do the opto Trident's hold up after some hard abuse? The thing I've like about the FLX drone is that no matter how many trees/rocks it gets smashed into it holds its original flight just like the first time I threw it. Maybe it's just the harder FLX plastic that keeps the drone so consistent and durable, which is why I'm wondering how they will hold up when the temp starts getting hotter. I hate trying to compare it to my FLX buzzzes, which I love when its cold/wet, but they feel like completely different plastic when the temp starts rising. Oh well... guess I'll just have to pick a few Z drones up and try them out.

marcus said:
How do the opto Trident's hold up after some hard abuse?

I first started throwing the Trident only as a thumber but eventually it has worked itself into the stable to overstable Fairway Driver slot. I have tried others in this slot but they never like to have an anny release. The Trident can handle it and will always flex out of it and back into a fade. It flies almost exactly like a longer Drone and compliments it very well. Since I am still using it as a thumber as well as a control driver, it is probably taking more beating that just a normal disc in my bag. It is slowly starting to pick up nicks and scratches but otherwise shows no other wear. It has a very blunt and wide facing to the rim, instead of a sharp edge like more other drivers. I am sure this aids greatly in protecting its shape and durability.

Nice seeing some FLX drone lovers! I put one in the bag last year and can't seem to get rid of it, it's dead reliable and my favorite disc for short, technical flicks on heavily wooded courses. Just bought a few of the '08 Worlds from GGGT for cheap, so I'm getting a nice horde going. :D

I picked up a FLX not long ago as a super overstable mid, and I like it. I've never been a fan of the FLX plastic though, it was just that this felt more ESPish than FLXish, so that's what sold me. Still, it's a little soft for my tastes, so I picked up a Z Drone last weekend. Looking forward to testing it out, but it's "in the shop" right now.

I would've wondered why the hell people need this overstable discs in the first place if I hadn't bought my first ESP Zone few weeks ago just to try it out, thought it'd be a pointless disc to have, but now I seem to turn to it very often when I need the reliable fade, the dead reliable wind fighting and not turning over properties. The Drone seems to be just like it but a in mid class, I think I have to order one now :)

I love this disc, I read about it a few times during the course of last year. I knew that I needed something overstable for my mid game and couldn't make up my mind. I ended up just buying the FLX Drone on a whim and it has been money for me when I've pulled it out. I do love the FLX plastic a lot...great grip (wet or cold) and does well in wooded areas as it doesn't seem to get bad kicks like other plastics can.

Get an HPP Demon. It is essentially the same profile as the Drone, more overstable, and comes in better plastic (IMO).

My Z Drone got out of the shop, and I've been trying to get a feel for it lately. Still learning it, but I've had some pretty crazy and tricky shots with it so far. It's immediately earned its "circus sideshow" designation.

P1015137.jpg

some call me...tim? said:
My Z Drone got out of the shop, and I've been trying to get a feel for it lately. Still learning it, but I've had some pretty crazy and tricky shots with it so far. It's immediately earned its "circus sideshow" designation.

P1015137.jpg

Nice colors man, looks like Walt Disney threw up on your disc :lol:

i used to like drones but there's really no need in my bag for disc that short and overstable

Latest posts